Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arca Swiss or Acratech

Hello,

A little advice: Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 (Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 With Fliplock Quick Set Device 801215 B&H) or
Acratech GP-s Ballhead (B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders REG/Acratech_1158_GP_s_Ballhead_with_Lever.html?)…. almost same ¨league¨(same function, same price) – suggestion,
opinions, pro- and con-

Here, in Europe, Acratech is not so good represented and the price is a little high…

Thank you for your opinions

10-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the Acratech is expensive, but very much a high quality product.
I have tried many ball heads and this one, the GP-s (not sure if mine has the "s" ...), and it does what it says it does: solid, sturdy, precise and well constructed.
10-29-2015, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

For light-weight and strength, nothing beats Acratech ballheads. I own 2, and even prefer them over my RRS ballheads.

Acratech are also the best to use outdoors in rugged condtions.
10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
For light-weight and strength, nothing beats Acratech ballheads. I own 2, and even prefer them over my RRS ballheads.

Acratech are also the best to use outdoors in rugged condtions.
+1 for that !

10-29-2015, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an Acratech GV2 ballhead, and it is outstanding. Found it used for much less than the price of a new one. I have not used the arca-swiss monoball and don't doubt that it is good. But you will enjoy the Acratech heads.
10-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I have an Acratech GV2 ballhead, and it is outstanding. Found it used for much less than the price of a new one. I have not used the arca-swiss monoball and don't doubt that it is good. But you will enjoy the Acratech heads.
Arca Swiss Monoball is the mother and the father of all ball heads. Don't tell me it is no good and you have never tried it. It is solid, simple and just great. I use mine with Kirk quick release plate and will never need another ball head.

Go in a shop and try both heads head to head.
10-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Don't tell me it is no good and you have never tried it.
Umm. He said he had no doubt it was good, not that it was no good???

QuoteOriginally posted by Claudiu Quote
Arca Swiss or Acratech
I am sure either would be fine they both have good reputations. I have never used the Arca Swiss but I do have an Acratech and can unreservedly recommend it. Simply a pleasure to use.

10-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Arca Swiss Monoball is the motfliplock ?her and the father of all ball heads. Don't tell me it is no good and you have never tried it. It is solid, simple and just great. I use mine with Kirk quick release plate and will never need another ball head.

Go in a shop and try both heads head to head.
Classic knob or flip lock ?

Like I tell you, Acratech is not so good represented here, in France... 500 km for try a monoball in shop is a ^no go^for me...
10-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Acratech is a small company, everything made in the USA I believe, not surprising they are not well-represented elsewhere. I'm sure they are both great (I have Acratech GP-S) -- if you are hiker or want to use it in outdoor possibly dirty/wet conditions, get the Acratech.

To muddy the waters some more, this thing looks real cool:

UniqBall webshop
10-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Claudiu Quote
Here, in Europe, Acratech is not so good represented and the price is a little high…
Here in the U.S., Acratech is a little less money than Arca-Swiss, but better represented. Since service is a big consideration for tripods and heads, the ease of securing parts/replacement is important. The nice thing about Acratech is the open design, so perhaps the parts issue is not so big.

Steve
10-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
To muddy the waters some more, this thing looks real cool:

UniqBall webshop
$$$

Steve
10-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yes the Acratech is expensive, but very much a high quality product.
I have tried many ball heads and this one, the GP-s (not sure if mine has the "s" ...), and it does what it says it does: solid, sturdy, precise and well constructed.
Acratech is an awesome product. I dropped mine (not recommended) on a ceramic tile floor coming back from a shoot this summer. No damage. Very durable system, very happy with mine.
10-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$$$

Steve
The 35 model is cheaper than the Acratech (and still holds 33lbs)...
10-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

One weakness of the Acratech is the smoothness of the panning ability -- I suspect others are better there. This is a side-effect of its strength in being maintenance-free and dirt/grit resistant, so there is a trade-off there...