Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #1

pentax k20d

my pentax will not take photos, tried different lenses, everything seems to be working fine, except flash. also tried new sd card, batteries fine, but will not take photo. I have never owned a dslr camera before, hope some one can help me

10-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tyler99 Quote
I have never owned a dslr camera before
does this mean you recently bought it second hand from a shop or private?
In that case, just go back.

ps: if you do a sensor clean & flip up the mirror through the menu, does that work?
10-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my pentax will not take photos, tried different lenses, everything seems to be working fine, except flash. also tried new sd card, batteries fine, but will not take photo. I have never owned a dslr camera before, hope some one can help me
Do you see "F--" on the LCD screen? If so, and if the lens has an aperture ring, either set the aperture ring to A, or go in to the custom functions menu and make sure use of the aperture ring is permitted. If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring then the problem lies elsewhere.

Also, check to see that AF is enabled on both the camera and the lens. If you have a manual focus lens, set the camera to manual focus as well since if the camera is in AF.S mode, the shutter will only be released if the camera confirms focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

but will not take photo
Please define what you mean. Does the shutter not release? Are you unable to review/retrieve photos from the SD card? Something else?

Steve

10-31-2015, 01:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote

ps: if you do a sensor clean & flip up the mirror through the menu, does that work?
hi steve the shutter works fine, but camera does not show any photos from sd card, also the flash does not work, so sorry to be vague, but bought camera for my daughter doing photography at school, I am clueless tyler

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 01:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you see "F--" on the LCD screen? If so, and if the lens has an aperture ring, either set the aperture ring to A, or go in to the custom functions menu and make sure use of the aperture ring is permitted. If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring then the problem lies elsewhere.

Also, check to see that AF is enabled on both the camera and the lens. If you have a manual focus lens, set the camera to manual focus as well since if the camera is in AF.S mode, the shutter will only be released if the camera confirms focus.
many thanks, have no knowledge of these type of cameras, bought for daughter doing school photography, will try and do what you suggest, do not even know what is an aperture ring ( will find out ) regards tyler

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 01:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote

many thanks for reply, I have no knowledge of these type of cameras, daughter doing photography at school would not have clue how to do sensor clean or flip mirror, no photo repair shops where I live, will try and find out, appreciate your reply, tyler
10-31-2015, 04:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound good. Turn the camera on whilst pressing the menu button and post what you see in the LCD screen.
10-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe it's a good idea to reset the whole camera?

go to menu/setup & scroll all the way down & reset.

can't hurt i guess..
10-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

hi steve the shutter works fine, but camera does not show any photos from sd card
This does not sound good. I think I would be talking to the seller to negotiate a return.

Steve

10-31-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I had an SD card problem the other day were my K20D would not record the images. I did an "error check" with Windows 7 on the SD card, cleaned everything off of the card and it fixed the problem.

Here are the steps: After plugging in the camera or the SD card to the computer, from the Windows start button, click "Computer". Right click the icon for the SD card, click "Properties", click the "Tools" tab. Click "Check now" under error checking.

At least it is one more thing to try...
11-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

If you do not have an instruction manual for the camera, go to the RICOH web site and download the pdf for your K20D.
11-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
If you do not have an instruction manual for the camera, go to the RICOH web site and download the pdf for your K20D.
The Ricoh/Pentax USA Web site support section is in disarray, though Ricoh/Pentax Japan is in better shape. Most manuals may be downloaded from:

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Steve