Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Pentax K 500 viewfinder

It seems my K500 won't take a proper exposure in the view finder mode. I think I have tried everything....what am I missing. Hidden function?..forgotten setting?...I am at a total loss. I have tried all the resets I know of.

11-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjones Quote
It seems my K500 won't take a proper exposure in the view finder mode. I think I have tried everything....what am I missing. Hidden function?..forgotten setting?...I am at a total loss. I have tried all the resets I know of.
What metering mode were you using? We might be able to help more quickly if you attach an example of a photo you're unhappy with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Could you post a picture of one of these bad shots with the Exif ? It would help a lot to figure what is wrong...
11-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't really understand what the OP is saying, except that he's disappointed with his results. "won't take a proper exposure in the view finder mode." makes little sense to me. What is a 'proper' exposure? Well it's the exposure that the camera operator expected after setting the camera to deliver it. So what did the operator chose and what was the result?
Certainly we need much more information to determine if the disappointment is caused by a camera or operator error.

11-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So my thoughts echo those above, but I also want to know if this means that it works correctly in Live View?
11-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It seems my K500 won't take a proper exposure in the view finder mode.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As noted above, it would be helpful if you could explain what you mean by "proper". Are we safe to make the following assumptions?
  • Exposure is either consistently over/under exposed -OR- is inconsistent overall
  • This happens regardless of lens mounted
  • You are only using modern DA series lenses
  • This happens regardless of exposure mode (Auto-Picture, HyP, Av, Sv, M, etc.)
  • This does NOT happen when the camera is in live view mode

Steve
11-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
"Sorry to all the above...first time posting. The camera is set in the auto mode, though I have tried manual and all other modes as well. I have tried the two lenses I currently own both are full auto Pentax shipped with the camera. The images are completely under exposed to the point of no exposure at all in full daylight. Just discovered same issue even when using the flash. Complete under exposure. Able to get an image in live mode but not if I try using the flash in live mode. I sort of thought I screwed up an obscure setting, that's why I was looking for a reset. Sorry can't attach a photo as I am travelling this week, but it essentially would be a black screen. I also have tried all metering modes, same result.

Thanks Todd"

11-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

he images are completely under exposed to the point of no exposure at all in full daylight
Ok...now we are getting somewhere! Is there any chance your K-500 is still under warranty? There are known faults with the aperture control mechanism in the K-30/K-50 models that likely are also problems for the K-500. The symptoms are underexposed to very dark images. Ricoh will fix at no charge under warranty, otherwise the cost is about $250 USD.

Steve
11-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok...now we are getting somewhere! Is there any chance your K-500 is still under warranty? There are known faults with the aperture control mechanism in the K-30/K-50 models that likely are also problems for the K-500. The symptoms are underexposed to very dark images. Ricoh will fix at no charge under warranty, otherwise the cost is about $250 USD.

Steve
Steve - does that problem not also occur with LiveView? I have no idea despite suffering a K50 failure of this type it didn't occur to me to test LiveView when it was happening.
11-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it be a problem with the control of the mirror (mechanics or electronics)?

Maybe some tests with 2s delay, green button etc.
I don't know the K-500, but there will be a way to activate the mirror with no lens attached.

Is there a way with this model to shoot a picture with no lens attached, to see whether the pictures are white or stay black?

Do the numbers in the display in "viewfinder mode" (= no lifeview) show reasonable exposure values prior to releasing the shot?
If not, I guess there could be a problem with the secondary mirror leading part of the light to the photocells for metering.
Or there is something wrong with these cells. I think in lifeview exposure values are taken directly from the sensor, or am I wrong in this case?
11-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Steve - does that problem not also occur with LiveView?
I don't know.

Steve
11-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
"Thanks all. Sort of leaning towards aperture control failure. I was hoping not to have to send it away. No longer under warranty of course. Just to answer a few of the questions. Mirror seems functional, actuator arm has movement but can't see any difference in aperture size during picture taking. Exposures only seem to vary by changing the lighting conditions to the extreme while in the view mode. The contacts on both lenses seem fine but cleaned them anyway...no change. I appreciate all the comments..I believe I have eliminated myself as the issue......I think."
11-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Likely not much cheaper to repair than replace. Sadly.
If you decide to repair let us know how much it costs. I recommend buying a new K50 or a used K50 to keep costs down or a KS1 as another potential alternate.