Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 03:27 AM   #1

K-S2 problems with wireless flash triggers

Hello, is there any experience with problems that wireless (radio controlled) falsh triggers on the K-S2 don't work reliable?

Some are working without any problem on my K-S2, but others don't. A wireless trigger from Hensel was wotking 100% correctly, more than 300 shots without any problem. Same with a cheap no name trigger.
But last experinece was, that a flash trigger from Elinchron wasn't working at all. Another type from Elinchron was working, but not reliable (a lot of shots without flash triggered).
Strange is, the triggers not working on the K-S2 are properly working with all other cameras (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and even Samsung).

In the past I have had already some of such problems with the old K5, but with the Ks-2 it is much worse. The same trigger from Elinchron working partially with the K-S2 was working with the K5 at 100%, not shot without flash there.

Either it is a problem with my K-S2 body only, or some other K-S2 users should have similar problems.

11-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe the shutter speed is set too fast ?
11-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Yes, that is the most common cause.

Steve
11-03-2015, 02:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
No, the shutter speed was only 1/125 s, and for test I even decreased to 1/90 s and 1/30 s.
Camera was in "M" mode (manual) as I usually do in a studio environment.
The possible shutter speed is up to 1/180 s, and I know that Penatx camera doesn't trigger flash if setting is to a higehr speed.

Strange is, that the K5 is triggering the flash much more reliable with the same flash transceiver.

11-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikebaum Quote
No, the shutter speed was only 1/125 s, and for test I even decreased to 1/90 s and 1/30 s.
Camera was in "M" mode (manual) as I usually do in a studio environment.
The possible shutter speed is up to 1/180 s, and I know that Penatx camera doesn't trigger flash if setting is to a higehr speed.

Strange is, that the K5 is triggering the flash much more reliable with the same flash transceiver.
I would take that to mean that the transmitter is also inconsistent with the K-5, though to a lesser extent. I smell a general compatibility issue. For the benefit of users reading this thread, would you care to list both brand and model of the hot shoe transmitters that are causing you grief? Both Hensel and Elinchron offer multiple models. Oh, and include the name and model of the no-name too.

Steve
11-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Steve,
I don't remember the Hensel transmitter. I was using the newest porty with the original transmitter from Hensel (either strobe wizard + or freemask). But it was working 100% reliable.

From Elinchrom there were 2 types in the studio: A skyport speed, never working with either the K5 nor with K-S2. A skyport eco was working 100% with the K5, and about 75% with the K-S2 (often the Flash didn't fire).

Due to the fact that teh skyport Speed was working properly with all other cameras I think it is a bad property of tghe Pentax bodies, that they don't Switch properly the center contact of the hot shoe. Probably there is a too high rest resistance, causing that "sensitive" transmitters woun't react properly (Flash was working all times with test button).
Therefore I was looking if anybody else has experience with such behaviour of Pentax cameras.

I will try to get the Elinchrom transmitter for a while to send it to pentax service together with the camera to Claim the function (as a warranty repair).

Or follow finally the recommendation of colleagues and change the system for a "good working camera system".

Thanks for your help, I think I could Close this thread at the end.

---------- Post added 11-04-15 at 03:01 PM ----------

Hi Steve,
I don't remember the Hensel transmitter. I was using the newest porty with the original transmitter from Hensel (either strobe wizard + or freemask). But it was working 100% reliable.

From Elinchrom there were 2 types in the studio: A skyport speed, never working with either the K5 nor with K-S2. A skyport eco was working 100% with the K5, and about 75% with the K-S2 (often the Flash didn't fire).

Due to the fact that teh skyport Speed was working properly with all other cameras I think it is a bad property of tghe Pentax bodies, that they don't Switch properly the center contact of the hot shoe. Probably there is a too high rest resistance, causing that "sensitive" transmitters woun't react properly (Flash was working all times with test button).
Therefore I was looking if anybody else has experience with such behaviour of Pentax cameras.

I will try to get the Elinchrom transmitter for a while to send it to pentax service together with the camera to Claim the function (as a warranty repair).

Or follow finally the recommendation of colleagues and change the system for a "good working camera system".

Thanks for your help, I think I could Close this thread at the end.
Sorry, I forgot to mention the cheap transmitters: One is "Meike Quick Flash", and another is "JJC". Both that cheap that one couldn't make things wrong buying them. No special features, only firing the flash (even with Pentax cameras). Might be too cheap to be incompatible. :-)
11-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Due to the fact that teh skyport Speed was working properly with all other cameras I think it is a bad property of tghe Pentax bodies
You may find this thread interesting...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/297947-k...m-skyport.html

Steve

11-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You may find this thread interesting...
...and this one as well...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/202720-elinch...view-info.html

A site search for "skyport" brings up a ton of stuff.

Steve
11-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Steve, thank you a lot for your help!
I saw some information about Elinchrom, but both positive and negative. And as long as K5 was working .....