Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

K5iis disable exposure lock (AE-L)

I brought my K5iis to Mt Fuji this Sept with some patches of heavy rain. I though K5iis was water proof but sadly I was wrong. After drying, the K5iis is now exposure locked. Whenever I switch on the camera, the camera is exposure locked after a spit second. (with asterisk in viewfinder)

Also the green button is not responding (as if it is always depressed) This is confirmed by, when I play photos and use dial wheel to zoom, the picture is always zooming out.

I have disassembled the camera top and back, and cleaned almost every circuit and button I can see with contact cleaner. The problems still exist.

So I have taken it to the official repairer of Pentax in my place, The agent said the main board needs replacement, but the quotation costs more than the camera at about $400. This is obviously beyond economic repair so I am preparing to live with the exposure lock problem.

For the M42 or non-A manual lens, I can use M mode and optical preview knob to perform auto metering once. This works fine with some habit changes.

However, there is the problem for autofocus lens. Once the exposure is locked, I cannot get a different exposure setting even I change the combination of shutter speed / ISO / Aperture in Any mode , because they will auto adjust each other to maintain same exposure. I can only switch off and on the camera. Also, the optical preview knob cannot perform metering but only tell whether the exposure is over or under by the gradient bars.

I hope some experienced user can lead me some workarounds:
1) is there a way to disable exposure lock in k5iis
2) or for autofocus lenses, it there any way I can change actual exposure even exposure is locked?

Your help much appreciated.

11-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sorry about your broken camera. If the main board is shot, it is anyone's guess just what any of the controls is doing anymore. I can't offer any specific advice, but perhaps some other users have special knowledge.

Steve
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about the problem. I can't comment on the repair, but do have a question. Were you using a WR lens with the camera? If not, that's where the water & moisture got in. I had both the K-5 II and now my K-S2 out in some serious rain without any problems, but I was using a Pentax WR lens.
11-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10D had this problem for a while. The top of the camera had an almost microscopic crack right next to the AE-L button. Mine would come on with the camera, but pressing the button would turn it off. I had Mr. Pentax fix it - for C$300+

11-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I would do a full factory reset and if that doesn't help, a firmware relode Before giving up
11-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Wingincamera is right I was not using a WR lens so that may be the problem but I know it too late now.
I got firmware 1.07 reloaded with no improvement. As to factory reset, I have performed it in the menu also without improvement. Would there be any other way to do the full reset?
11-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sansfin Quote
Would there be any other way to do the full reset?
There is a second option to clear the custom settings. The steps to do a full reset are detailed on page 296 of the user manual (English version). I am not sure what benefit it might do given that your camera has physical damage, but there is no harm in trying.

Steve

11-29-2015, 12:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Today, when I was playing with debug mode with PKTether, the camera works normally again. The exposure lock now functions correctly. I don't know whether it is because PKTether has done something, or the recent dry weather which disperses the moisture inside. Now my beloved camera revived! Thank you all of your advice.
11-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter

It lives!!

Happy to hear that your camera is feeling better.