Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
You could have adjusted for the back-focus.
And re-adjusted for every colour of light? No thanks. There was no back-focus in natural light. The K-5 AF was defective, which was the only justification for a K-5 II.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-16-2015 at 09:41 PM.
11-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a known issue, the K-30 was the first camera to integrate an additional lens element to correct this problem. It has been used on every Pentax since 2012.
11-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #48
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Having jumped from the K10 to the K3 recently I can give a whole-hearted YES!
Same here; so glad I made the jump!
11-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #49
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The OP should keep in mind that for the K-3 he may also need a new (very fast) computer for post. And probably additional hard disks.
Really? I'm still using my older desktop running Vista, with absolutely no problems with my K-3 images. I only have one disk!

11-17-2015, 04:33 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I don't see the reason to stew about new gear so much. I find that new gear helps my photos just because I'm more energized to go out and take photos when I have a new camera or new lens. The biggest question is one of money. It doesn't grow on trees (at least not around here) and so you have to decide what you are willing to pay for a new/used camera. For what it is worth, the K5 II and K5 IIs cameras are also very nice, although their operation is a little slower and auto focus points remain too big (one of my biggest problems with older Pentax cameras -- hard to focus on the eyes when your focus point takes up half of the subject's face).

If I had a K20, I would certainly be ready for a camera body upgrade. To me, if I was the OP, I would decide on my budget and then look at the best camera that fits it. As I said before, it won't turn snap shots into fine art, but it will give more capability with regard to focusing, dynamic range and high iso situations as compared to a K20.
11-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Really? I'm still using my older desktop running Vista, with absolutely no problems with my K-3 images. I only have one disk!
It depends on many factors, but certainly going from 14mp to 24mp could push an aging computers performance to painful levels - especially if you shoot raw or do any kind of heavy processing (focus stacking, hdr panoramas, etc.). It really depends on your hardware, what you do with it, how tolerant you are of potential slowdowns, but it's definitely something to consider with a good sized leap in mp.
11-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I don't see the reason to stew about new gear so much. I find that new gear helps my photos just because I'm more energized to go out and take photos when I have a new camera or new lens. The biggest question is one of money. It doesn't grow on trees (at least not around here) and so you have to decide what you are willing to pay for a new/used camera. For what it is worth, the K5 II and K5 IIs cameras are also very nice, although their operation is a little slower and auto focus points remain too big (one of my biggest problems with older Pentax cameras -- hard to focus on the eyes when your focus point takes up half of the subject's face).

If I had a K20, I would certainly be ready for a camera body upgrade. To me, if I was the OP, I would decide on my budget and then look at the best camera that fits it. As I said before, it won't turn snap shots into fine art, but it will give more capability with regard to focusing, dynamic range and high iso situations as compared to a K20.
I kept checking McBain Camera (a reliable Alberta company) until a used K3 came up at C$525 (about US$400 at that time), and bought it. Then I sent in my K10 with grip for assessment as a trade in on the D-BG5 grip. They offered and I accepted and got the grip for a little under C$100 and the K10 with grip. As a retiree whose last major employer when bankrupt in 1992, money is a bit scarce here as well. There was no way I could afford a new K3 on our income.

I ran the camera through the shutter cycle checker on this site and came up with about 17,000 clicks. The camera looked new. The clue is the "waiting until one showed up on their used gear page" at a price I could afford. I was sorely tempted to buy a gunmetal prestige at C$1250, but no way I could convince myself to pay that much for what is essentially a toy.