Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Should I upgrade my K20D to a K3?

As my interest and knowledge in photography has increased substantially since I got my first DSLR, a K20D, I'm finding a few limitations with this camera in certain situations and wondering if it's time to consider upgrading to the K3 or K3II. I'd appreciate thoughts and comments from anyone who has gone through this dilemma. Thanks.

11-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't done it, but the K-3 would be a step up.

Also Welcome to the forum!
11-03-2015, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, absolutely. I used my K20d and upgraded to the K5IIs and recently the K3. Huge jump in quality from the K20d to the K3.
11-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually it is better to resist upgrading for the next camera that comes along. It'll be better but not enough better to extend your photography. The top-tier cameras are good enough to last a few cycles, and unless something is broken, still take photos just as well as they ever did. It would have not been a good idea to upgrade a K20D to a K7.

However, upgrading to the K3 means upgrading every significant element of the camera - sensor, viewfinder, shutter, rear screen, metering, AF system, electronics and more. Everything works better.

11-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, just do it.
11-03-2015, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Sure, if you can, do it. I haven't done it because at this point, I can't. We have other financial priorities...

I think within the next year I'll upgrade, but it will be to a K-5 or K-5 II. For just taking pictures of our family, I can't justify the expense - at least until I live in a house that is paid off
11-03-2015, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lynnslenses Quote
As my interest and knowledge in photography has increased substantially since I got my first DSLR, a K20D, I'm finding a few limitations with this camera in certain situations and wondering if it's time to consider upgrading to the K3 or K3II. I'd appreciate thoughts and comments from anyone who has gone through this dilemma. Thanks.
Let me suggest you the opposite: don't. Well, depending on how much limited you feel by the K20D. I have one, and my opinion is that it's usually me who is the limiting factor, and not the camera. My photos are dull because I don't try hard to make them interesting, I always go to the same places so I can't photograph anything new, etc. Sure, you'll get usable high iso, higher resolution, etc. But the upgrade only solves one part of the equation

11-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It would be a pretty big step up. A lot of people still love their K10D's and K20D's but modern cameras just allow you to work faster and more effectively in the field. I'd recommend going for the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had a K10 and upgraded to the K5iis and now a K3.
I would upgrade just for the auto focus alone. I think as far as bang for the buck goes, one model from current is the best way to go. Unless of course you can't do without the new flag ship there is always going to be a better camera around the corner so sooner or later you have to stop chasing the rainbow and take a dive!

Good luck, you won't be sorry if you go for a K3.

Randy
11-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soti Quote
Let me suggest you the opposite: don't. Well, depending on how much limited you feel by the K20D. I have one, and my opinion is that it's usually me who is the limiting factor, and not the camera. My photos are dull because I don't try hard to make them interesting, I always go to the same places so I can't photograph anything new, etc. Sure, you'll get usable high iso, higher resolution, etc. But the upgrade only solves one part of the equation
Indeed the K3 would be a huge step from the K20D but, as Soti mentioned above, it is "one part of the equation" only.
That said, and as you further mentioned, if your "knowledge in photography has increased substantially", it could be the right time for a move upward with the K3.
You can continue increasing your photographic skills with the K20D but if you know that you are now missing what the K3 is offering and that it will make a difference ...
The decision remains yours.

JP
11-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm holding on to my K20Ds now until the FF gets here... still only four months away, or so it seems.
11-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm holding on to my K20Ds now until the FF gets here... still only four months away, or so it seems.
Didn't they say that years ago...
11-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Didn't they say that years ago...
Exactly... the only four months away rule.
11-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #14

Respectfully, I advise to follow Soti's suggestion.

Only my opinion, of course, but I got into digital photgraphy through K20, used it for three years (also bought and used a K10 for its CCD, using for the last year and a half a K5, know about K3) and I still think that it is a camera good enough for anyone and for everything. APS-C is APS-C, and digital FF is better but no so much that one has to buy it or quitting photography. Buy better lens, if you want to buy, or other stuff like flashes, tripods, reflectors ,etc. that can help you handle some particular photo enviroments. But K20 is a camera for a lifetime, really, and will not hamper you from being an accomplished, good or even great photographer.

Francesco
11-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #15
KDD
Veteran Member

645z???? Lol