Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Shooting "tethered" with K-3 and Flu Card?

Hello -

I am going to be getting into some studio photography in the near future. I have been watching training videos from the "masters", e.g., Sue Bryce and Peter Hurley, and I see them shooting tethered with a cable from their camera to the computer.

I would like to know if I shoot with a Flu Card in my K-3, will that card "tether" to my computer, using software such as Lightroom, which I KNOW has the ability of tethering, or Capture One?

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this. I appreciate your kind consideration of my question.

Thanks! :-)

11-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't waste your time or money.
FluCard lets you control the camera, but does not allow decent remote transfer of files to Lightroom.
You must access the card's internal web server and download individual files. Complete BS implementation.

EyeFi does not allow tethering style control but the file transfer simply works. Much more important than camera control to me.

Sadly nothing handles both sides. So you have to choose one. Big Sad face :-(

Last edited by amoringello; 11-04-2015 at 06:55 PM.
11-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can even tether a t2i!! Why can't Pentax create a software that works for tethering all cameras?
11-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I can even tether a t2i!! Why can't Pentax create a software that works for tethering all cameras?
Good question...while we are the subject of comparisons, why can't a woman be more like a man?

Steve

11-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioD Quote
using software such as Lightroom, which I KNOW has the ability of tethering
Lightroom only allow tethering to Nikon, Canon, and Leica cameras* and the tethering offered is not much more than remote release with automated download. There are better options available for the supported cameras and even Adobe is rather low key about promoting the feature to the point where the de facto standard Lightroom reference (Martin Evening's books...chose your version) suggests using a true tethering solution (i.e. a non-Adobe product) in conjunction with a monitored directory for automated import.

Steve

* Not all models in the range either.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-04-2015 at 07:21 PM.
11-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been watching training videos from the "masters", e.g., Sue Bryce and Peter Hurley, and I see them shooting tethered with a cable from their camera to the computer.
There are limits to emulation of gear and/or techniques. Have you asked yourself why they are shooting tethered and what that buys them in terms of work flow? Think carefully...When have you seen a tethered camera being used in real life? I did the thought exercise and wracked my memory and came up with this very short list:
  • Children's school portraits
  • Kids with Santa portraits
  • Church directory portraits
  • Photo printing to t-shirts at the mall
  • Mall portrait studio
  • Serious timelapse work
  • Other automated or unattended camera control
I have owned two cameras that were capable (Canon G2 and Pentax K10D) and never used the feature on either for actual shooting.

Steve
11-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When have you seen a tethered camera being used in real life?
Add seminars, classes and other demonstrations where it is important for others to see on a large screen what the image looks like.
And shoots where there is an art director or client present who needs to see the images as they occur.

11-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
who needs to see the images as they occur
Who needs to see the image as they occur?
This is such a crock,
When I shot studio work on film with 4x5, we shot Polaroid, that took time to process, more time than it would take you to pop a card out of the camera and walk across the floor to a laptop,
Just because something is possible does not mean it is "needed"

I agree with SteveBrot, it's a neat gimmick but the headaches we've seen with doing it are not worth it.
Rather spend that time and energy to making a good image than transfer it on to a bigger screen right away.
my 2¢
11-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ho hum, shoulda bought a Canon!

Hey Guys and Gals –

Thanks for all the input you all gave me!

The reason that I wanted to "tether" is so that my headshot and portrait clientele can see one of the better results, which would get them pumped up to do more and trust my vision and the direction that I am giving them.

As soon as I make enough money from my initial clients, I will be immediately getting a Canon 5D Mark III, or a Phase One.

If I had known what I now know about the profession, I would have started out with a 5D Mark II with a f/1.8 70-200mm lens. The f/5.6 that comes with the camera as a kit lens, which everyone told me would be a good starter lens is complete crap! F 5.6??? Come on! What kind of portrait or headshot am I gonna shoot with that? ;-)

Thanks for the help, again, I really appreciate it! Is there any way that I could shoot tethered, with an actual cable between the computer and the K-3?
11-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use the eyefi and setup auto uploading it only sends jpeg but that's what you want for quick previews. You can sync to iPad or tablet or phone and to a web cloud app.

What it doesn't do is allow you to trigger the camera, change settings, etc.
11-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will be immediately getting a Canon 5D Mark III, or a Phase One.
Live large, buy the Phase One...

Steve
11-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is there any way that I could shoot tethered, with an actual cable between the computer and the K-3?
You can display out to a field monitor using the HDMI port, but that is not the same as tethering. Tether is remote (usually cabled) operation of the camera (many functions), usually with the option for direct write of files out to a computer or external mass storage device.

A quick survey of the camera's available ports should be a clue. You have:
  • HDMI: video out
  • USB 3.0: data in/out
  • External power
  • PC flash sync: switched circuit
  • Microphone: audio in
  • Headphone: audio out
  • Cabled remote: Shutter release emulation (1/2 press, full press)
Of those, only the USB 3.0 fitting has potential as a control tether and Pentax has opted to not support that feature on the K-3. The 645Z does support tether and there was some speculation that the feature might migrated to the K-3, but that never happened. (The two cameras share a similar control interface.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-04-2015 at 11:40 PM.
11-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would have started out with a 5D Mark II with a f/1.8 70-200mm lens. The f/5.6 that comes with the camera as a kit lens, which everyone told me would be a good starter lens is complete crap! F 5.6??? Come on! What kind of portrait or headshot am I gonna shoot with that? ;-)
If you lived closer, I would take you out and show you what kind of portrait work you can do at f/5.6 and 55mm on APS-C. I could also show you what you might be done at 77mm and f/1.8 or any number of fast primes from my shelf. I can't show what can be done with a70-210/1.8...such a lens has never been available from any maker, not even Canon.

Steve
11-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't show what can be done with a70-210/1.8...such a lens has never been available from any maker, not even Canon.
Perhaps he means 2.8... Simple typo. The 50-135 f2.8 Pentax is another good option.
11-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Perhaps he means 2.8... Simple typo. The 50-135 f2.8 Pentax is another good option.
Yeah, you are probably right. The 50-135/2.8 would work well for the kind of shooting Antonio is describing and handles a heck of a lot better than a 70-210/2.8.

Steve