Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioD Quote
Hello -

I am going to be getting into some studio photography in the near future. I have been watching training videos from the "masters", e.g., Sue Bryce and Peter Hurley, and I see them shooting tethered with a cable from their camera to the computer.

I would like to know if I shoot with a Flu Card in my K-3, will that card "tether" to my computer, using software such as Lightroom, which I KNOW has the ability of tethering, or Capture One?

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this. I appreciate your kind consideration of my question.

Thanks! :-)
If you're just displaying, use an HDMI cable from your K-3.

You can show people all your settings as you shoot and review pictures on a 60" screen or to a projector.

11-05-2015, 01:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Hello -
I would like to know if I shoot with a Flu Card in my K-3, will that card "tether" to my computer
Easy enough to do this. Described here in German: K-3, Tethering Lightroom - DSLR-Forum
Translating and making it work is up to you.
It works fine for others, so any issues you encounter are 100% your own.

Actually If you just want to see/show the result on screen, there is not need for LR at all as the app opens its own display window immediately on the PC.

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
FluCard lets you control the camera, but does not allow decent remote transfer of files to Lightroom. Sadly nothing handles both sides. So you have to choose one.
Nonsense.
11-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I had known what I now know about the profession, I would have started out with a 5D Mark II with a f/1.8 70-200mm lens. The f/5.6 that comes with the camera as a kit lens, which everyone told me would be a good starter lens is complete crap! F 5.6??? Come on! What kind of portrait or headshot am I gonna shoot with that? ;-)
well, people usually shoot at f5.6 or f8 in studio for maximum details !!! f2.8 is great for outdoor with background blur (bokeh) but in studio with a black/white background, it's an overkill ^^
Peter Hurley uses the most expensive gear on earth, you should not start out that way, step by step, slowly but firmly is the way to go ^^ a K3 and a good prime can produce great outputs ^^
The reason that I wanted to "tether" is so that my headshot and portrait clientele can see one of the better results, which would get them pumped up to do more and trust my vision and the direction that I am giving them.
this is a good reason to use tethering but the main reason pro uses tethering is to check their settings faster (what you see is what you get), sometimes photos look decent on camera but not great on screen. HDMI output is a workaround you might consider for your K3
11-05-2015, 03:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
FluCard lets you control the camera, but does not allow decent remote transfer of files to Lightroom. Sadly nothing handles both sides. So you have to choose one.

QuoteQuote:
Nonsense.
In what way?
I know of no way for Flu Card to allow decent transfer with software such as Lightroom, ShutterSnitch, etc.... You must access the built-in web page and download images.
I know of no EyeFi cards that allow control of the camera. But file transfer and access is generally seamless.

11-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
In what way?
Read the first part of my post you quoted.

There are simple apps for windoze and ios which pull the last shot from the flucard immediately and automatically and display them on the device.
You set and trigger the camara via the browser wirelessly tethered and next thing happens is the photo downloads and automatically appears on your screen wirelessly tethered.
11-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If all you want to do is show your customer pictures you can do that with a flu card. You can select and show pictures on your computer or iPad. The Pentax flu card turns your camera on into a web browser and you use your web browser to view any image on the camera with it. It's not speedy, and there''s no slide show function, but if that's all that is necessary it's there. In the original K-3 video which I can no longer find, the photographer did just that. I've done it, I just find it too slow and uses too much battery to be useful for me.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2015 at 07:52 AM.
11-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Read the first part of my post you quoted.

There are simple apps for windoze and ios which pull the last shot from the flucard immediately and automatically and display them on the device.
You set and trigger the camara via the browser wirelessly tethered and next thing happens is the photo downloads and automatically appears on your screen wirelessly tethered.
Cool. Thanks.
Does it download the full file or just the web-page preview?
Quite honestly, I simply gave up on FluCard, but I might need to look into that a bit more.

EyeFi works with LightRoom by dumping files into a 'watched' folder.
Perhaps it would be possible to script something up on Mac or Linux to do the same for Flucard.

There is definitely going to be some potential with logging which files have been obtained and can easily miss something if transfer is slower than you shoot new photos or if network connection is temporarily disconnected.
This would take some serious management on the client side since FluCard won't have any internal tracking of transferred files like EyeFi does.

11-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

has anyone try this software : Pentax and Samsung Tethered Capture Plug-in for Lightroom for Windows - DNA Software
it's for Pentax DSLR tethering in lightroom !!!
11-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Easy enough to do this. Described here in German: K-3, Tethering Lightroom - DSLR-Forum
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
has anyone try this software : Pentax and Samsung Tethered Capture Plug-in for Lightroom for Windows - DNA Software
it's for Pentax DSLR tethering in lightroom !!!
This comes up every so often and I don't believe anyone from this site has been able to confirm that DNA stuff works. My understanding is that it is a wraps PKTether.

Steve
11-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the help, again, I really appreciate it! Is there any way that I could shoot tethered, with an actual cable between the computer and the K-3?
You might find this post from today interesting. There has been ongoing effort to support the K-3 with PKTether. Progress has been slow, but a download is available should you be interested in checking it out. As noted, use at your own risk...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/307345-pktether-k3-downloa...ml#post3421929

Steve
11-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #26

Original Poster
Thank you for all the helpful posts of information! I really appreciate the thought that some of you put into your answers! :-) I think I am going to go with the HDMI cable suggestion, because it seems like the most straightforward and easy to use.

However, can someone please tell me how I can find what type of HDMI connector is on the camera? (I know I can look at it and see, but I need to know if it's a mini or micro or just plain regular HDMI.) I need this information so that I can buy the correct cable with the correct fittings on the ends.

Thank you all!!!
11-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #27
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 Connects with a micro HDMI connector, also known as type D. In the K-3 manual, page 63.

Also, I use one myself. Works nicely for astro photos where the camera is pointed high up and the LCD is facing the ground. The outboard screen can then be oriented any way you wish. Good stuff, no neck strain.
11-06-2015, 03:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

just read this today, it might be helpful for OP : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/307345-pktether-k3-download-link.html
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The K-3 Connects with a micro HDMI connector, also known as type D. In the K-3 manual, page 63.

Also, I use one myself. Works nicely for astro photos where the camera is pointed high up and the LCD is facing the ground. The outboard screen can then be oriented any way you wish. Good stuff, no neck strain.
Yep, micro (type-D) HDMI. I also have one of these, but have the following cautions:
  • Quality varies. A standard speed cable should be adequate, but sometimes they are not up to the challenge.
  • The available clearance on the K-3 may be inadequate for the fitting of some cables
If you are able to find a local source and try the cable in the store, that is preferable. I use an inexpensive cable from Monoprice (Item #7557), but it took several tries before they determined they had a bad lot of cables. Once I got a good copy, everything was cool. (Monoprice is generally a good source for quality cables, so this was a surprise.)

Steve