Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Cheap wireless trigger for AF360FGZ?

I got AF360FGZ and a Pentax K3. Will this item work?

YONGNUO RF 605C RF 605 Wireless Flash Trigger with LCD for Pentax DSLR Cameras | eBay

any other suggestion?

Not sure if flasher trigger need to support P-ttl or Hss

Thanks

11-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should be fine, Enyceckk. I have a similar Yongnuo setup.

It won't support P-TTL/HSS, though.
11-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Should be fine, Enyceckk. I have a similar Yongnuo setup.

It won't support P-TTL/HSS, though.
Thanks for the reply.

For wedding photography, do they use HSS or P-TTL? I see people put the flash on the stand/hold them, I wonder if they use manual mode.
11-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote
I wonder if they use manual mode.
They might be using wireless P-TTL (optical trigger/control) rather than radio wireless as with the Cactus. With the built-in flash on your K-3 and the AF360FGZ off camera as remote flash, you should be able to learn the system to see if it is worth buying a second P-TTL flash (need not be Pentax brand).

Steve

11-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply.

For wedding photography, do they use HSS or P-TTL?

HSS uses P-TTL to achieve flash even when shooting at 1/6000s.

I see people put the flash on the stand/hold them, I wonder if they use manual mode.

Sure you can do that.

Yongnuo manual flashes even have power controls built into them so you don't have to bring them down to change their setting, you just push buttons on the transmitter sitting on your camera.
11-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got AF360FGZ and a Pentax K3. Will this item work?

YONGNUO RF 605C RF 605 Wireless Flash Trigger with LCD for Pentax DSLR Cameras | eBay

any other suggestion?

Not sure if flasher trigger need to support P-ttl or Hss

Thanks

If you have the K3 and AF360FGZ flash, why not use the built in wireless flash trigger that is built into both of them already?
11-05-2015, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
If you have the K3 and AF360FGZ flash, why not use the built in wireless flash trigger that is built into both of them already?

Because it's optical, not radio.
11-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #8

I have a question. To do wireless (optical) HSS do I need two Pentax flash units or can I use a Pentax flash as the remote flash and a 3rd party PTTL flash unit to trigger the Pentax unit.

11-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Because it's optical, not radio.

I thought it was radio but with out all the bells and whistles.
11-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I have a question. To do wireless (optical) HSS do I need two Pentax flash units or can I use a Pentax flash as the remote flash and a 3rd party PTTL flash unit to trigger the Pentax unit.
You need two 'Dedicated System' flashes, dedicated to the Pentax flash system, and they need to be HSS capable ... They don't have to be actual Pentax brand units, but it you look at Metz or Sigma etc then it would pay to check specifications exactly before buying.

---------- Post added 06-11-15 at 14:26 ----------

I have a further related question ....I only have two HSS flashes, so I can't test this .

But, when using wireless HS mode, as asked about just above, it is only necessary to set HS sync mode on the ON-CAMERA TRIGGER flash unit ...(not necessary on the slave unit) . Does this mean that only the trigger unit needs to be HSS capable ?
11-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #11

The k-3 can do wireless (optical) p-ttl with the af360. If you have two af360, assign one as master and the other as slave, they can do wireless (optical) hss as well. No wireless radio trigger for pentax flashes currently supports the pentax pttl system. Aokatec combines radio with optical triggering to work around the problem but its not as straightforward. If you need a big strobe and have a big budget, then check priolite, it does wireless pttl and hss.
11-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Does this mean that only the trigger unit needs to be HSS capable ?
I can't test this directly, (no $$ for multiple HSS flashes) and it is a good question. I would expect that at least the master/controller must by HSS capable (setting on flash). Whether the slave is able to follow orders would depend on the hardware (able to extend duration with adequate strength) and interface implementation.

Steve
11-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I thought it was radio but with out all the bells and whistles.
Nah. The red detector panel on the slave has to be able to 'see' the master's flashes of light, so bad luck if you can't rotate them to face each other, or the sun outside is very bright or inside there are obstacles so you can't bounce.

With radio or cables you have reliability and can even get the flash go off unseen from a couple of rooms away.

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2015 at 12:21 PM.
11-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Does this mean that only the trigger unit needs to be HSS capable ?
No, the slave has to be capable of a continuous pulsing light instead of a single burst.

Last edited by clackers; 11-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.
11-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Nah. The red detector panel on the slave has to be able to 'see' the master's flashes of light, so bad luck if you can't rotate them to face each other, or the sun outside is very bright or inside there are obstacles so you can't bounce.

With radio or cables you have reliability and can even get the flash go off unseen from a couple of rooms away.
Outdoors in sunshine I've had reasonable success when using the on-camera unit in 'Control' mode, and turning its flash head around to directly fire towards the red sensor panel on the slave unit which would have its body swivelled outwards to face the camera position).

---------- Post added 06-11-15 at 20:29 ----------

No, the slave has to be capable of a continuous pulsing light instead of a single burst.
That makes sense .... it has to be a combination of the actual triggering process (beyond the max sync speed) and the ability to emit the 'continuous' light burst.