Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 12:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Could I bump into this thread with a portrait question? I'm going to do my first ever portrait shoot this weekend and it's with a blond gal outside in a Minnesota winter. Lots of white because it's suppose to be sunny and there is about 10 inches of snow on the ground on the farm we are shooting at.

I'm shooting with a K-3 and probably a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for most of it with a bit of a 50mm prime in there too perhaps. I also have a Pentax-DA 16-85mm f3.5 to 5.6 lens in the bag but no flash or reflectors. I've never really photographed people before to need them...

This is the gal but I didn't take the shot.

We are just doing this for me to get experience and her to have fun but I'm pretty terrified I'm just going to waste 3 hours of her time. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

01-01-2016, 02:13 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travel light. I have a Tamron 70-2000 f/2.8 as well and it delivers great image quality but it is heavy. The 50mm prime is really all you need. At F2.8 you will have good depth of field and nice bokeh
01-01-2016, 02:19 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was done with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 set at full open f/2.8 and 50mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I few test shots today with a diy reflector and conditions about like they will be for the shoot.

The reflector worked perfect to light up the inside of the helmet and the detail in the shots is fantastic. I tried the 50 and the big lens and much prefer the big one. I was right up in the face of the model with the prime but it did take great shots, a few of which are below. So with that I got brave enough to ask my wife to come try it.

That didn't work quite as well. How to I get the light more balanced? Her face and hair on the sun side are blown out and the other side is a tad dark. Hold a defuser over her or is there an easier way?

Last edited by charchri4; 01-01-2016 at 09:43 PM.
01-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You need to get about a stop more fill on the RHS, by putting the reflector in half the distance, or use your flash (best to get the sunglasses off).
01-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Don't mean to be totally daft but I googled RHS and came up with Rosemount highschool... Yeah I thought about using the flash but don't have a real one yet. I'm going to try a shadier spot today and the flash and see what happens though. Thank YOU!
01-02-2016, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, is the car park at RHS on the RHS?

Location, location, location for both photography and real estate.

Shooting portraits in full sun ain't easy.

To stop squinting, you could shoot with the sun behind her. Either expose for her face and let the background blow out or expose for the background and let flash on the face make it contrast.

Probably easier to move somewhere else. Full shade is not great, too little contrast, but the transition area known as open shade is great.
01-03-2016, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

I tried some shady shots yesterday and using a hint of the on camera flash and it worked pretty good. Now I just need to relax and not be petrified of doing this!

Thanks so much for your help. This has probably been the most useful thread I've read yet here.

01-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the catchlights, Jim. People afraid of flash can just dial it down to even -2 or 3 stops to get what they want - life in the eyes or lifting dark contrasty shadows.
01-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Well it turned out to be a very overcast gloomy day but the good news is the gal I asked to shoot brought along her sister and these ladies are so stunning it was hard to go wrong. Still I had a lot of miss focuses and back grounds that were not as blurry as I thought they would be so the learning curve is just at it's start.

Oh yeah and I have to learn how to use photoshop too...

Last edited by charchri4; 01-04-2016 at 01:49 AM.
01-04-2016, 03:07 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Like her hair against the darker background in shot 3, Jim, nicely done!
01-04-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Very good job! I think portraiture is the hardest type of photography. I get better at it each time I try. I did my grandson's basketball team photos, both individual and team photos. I was shaking in my boots, but I couldn't have been happier with the results. My first 'real' photo shoot = $.00
03-16-2016, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

Got a little trick I stumbled on I want to share. I forgot I even did this till I went back and looked at the photos from a shoot and the first 20 were of me!

So if you ever get a model that is really nervous - like need to breath in a bag nervous put your camera on full auto and trade places with her for a few minutes. It worked magnificently to settle her down and make her feel comfortable. LOL and yeah I got a bunch of dumb shots of me out of the deal.
03-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #44
mee
Pentaxian

That is an interesting idea.. both giving them something to get their mind off the shoot and allowing them to see the camera isn't a big scary thing to stand in front of.