Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 04:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Calibrating the astrotracer on K3ii

I'm terrible at reading operating manuals and getting the instructions right but I can't get the astrotracer to calibrate.

Can somebody explain the steps more fully than what is in the manual? Or is it just a trial and error thingy?

Here's a shot of the stars from my back door step shot on manual. I'm keen to see what I can get on bulb with the astrotracer on.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a shot taken on bulb and, as far as I could tell, with the astrotracer on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several things come to mind here....
  • The first image was at ISO 100 while the second one was 400. Boost the ISO up to 1600 to start. The night is really dark, and you need as much light capturing capability as possible.
  • You need to be in bulb mode for the astro-tracking to work properly. - Well at least for my K5IIs with the external GPS unit - the K3II may be a bit different.
  • Google some videos for the gps calibration of the K5 with the O-GPS1 unit and follow those instructions to start.

11-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A bit of trial and error, or at least multiple attempts, may at times be necessary. Try keeping the camera as steady as possible when calibrating and make sure you're only revolving it around one axis at a time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't own the K-3II , but I did take a look at the GPS/Astrotracer instructions. This is what I gleaned:
  • There is a general calibration for the GPS
  • Astrotracer requires a second, "precise" calibration if the location has changed since its last use. This precise calibration is done in the same manner as the general calibration...rotating the camera in three axis at least 180 degrees for each.
  • Astrotracer is turned on using the GPS menu and engages when the camera is in "B" mode
  • B mode with Astrotracer enabled operates in what is traditionally called "T" mode, meaning that the shutter opens with one press and closes with a second press
  • It is good to remember to turn Astrotracer off when not being used
My understanding from posts on this site and elsewhere is that the effectiveness of the Astrotracer feature depends on the section of sky being sampled.

Steve
11-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great suggestions peeps. I'm guessing I just didn't rotate the camera with sufficient accuracy. Would doing it on my back door step - close to sources of EMF - be a potential problem too?

BTW: The K3ii is a huge upgrade from the K7 in IQ and versatility, regardless of the subject matter.

Edit: Still no luck after a few more tries. Other new K3ii owners should probably be prepared for a bit of experimentation, rather than relying on it to work first try.

Last edited by Billk; 11-07-2015 at 07:47 PM.
11-07-2015, 10:10 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My handful of suggestions:
  • The strap will just get in the way.
  • It shouldn't matter what lens is on the camera when calibrating, so I use a short lens.
  • I try to keep the camera in the same point in space and rotate each axis around one point.
  • I restart from the beginning if the camera doesn't say "OK" right after the third axis, assuming one rotation wasn't right.
  • Rotating the camera three ways in the dark is a great way to drop the camera. Be careful.

I have the K5IIs and separate O-GPS1, which is probably somewhat different. I just discovered that one option for reprogramming the RAW/Fx button is to go directly to the GPS menu. That saves me a lot of menu fumbling.

02-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Hi!
sorry to bring this thread back to life. But i have fallen in this issue. I cant get precise calibration to succeed.
I have attempted the accurate calibration process like 40 times, never succeeded. The non precise calibration worked like a charm.
I have tested it outdoors, pointing to different places, with gps on, off, 20 meters away from houses and nothing seems to work.
Any idea?