Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

If you carry two cameras, do you put your flash on the zoom or wide?

Camera 1: 55-300mm f3.5-5.6 for the zoom
Camera 2: 17-50mm f2.8

Thanks

11-07-2015, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depends a LOT on your environment and whether you're intending to use the zoom to photograph subjects far away or get up really close on relatively close subjects.

Flash isn't going to do much beyond 30 feet. (Depends on your environment of course; dark or sunny - it might help well beyond 75 feet). FYI, I tend to use flash more in sunny/shady days than during actual dark environments.

It would probably make more sense on the wide end in the general case.
But personally, I put a flash on both cameras.
11-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I leave the flash in the bag and use it when the subject or light demands on whatever camera is being used for the shot.

Steve
11-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I still carry 2 cameras, but gave up flash in the 1970s.

11-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash goes on the camera being used for indoor shots, so that would be the wide-angle prime.
11-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

For me, on-camera flash is mostly used outdoors in bright conditions, usually portraits, so its going to be on the camera with the long zoom for sure. The AF-540FGZ models have enough power at say, ISO400, 58mm zoom setting, to provide enough fill even in HSS mode, certainly up to 200mm at least .....
11-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Forum Member

When I carry 2 cameras, I am in a touring mode and not bother with carrying flashes. So either camera would suffice for a pop up situation. If I did have to use a flash I would use it on the shorter zoom.
11-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Looks like you've been advised every possible combination. I suppose understanding what you're shooting might help folks narrow their recommendations.

11-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote

Camera 1: 55-300mm f3.5-5.6 for the zoom
Camera 2: 17-50mm f2.8

Thanks
Both of those are zoom lenses.
11-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Like jrpower said, lots of advice given. But best advice might be to simply go out and practice.
Learn how the flash helps, or does not help with the situation you are about to shoot for each lens.
You can read or be told how to do things, but the best method for understanding is to simply go out and "do it".

Before shooting my first wedding this summer, I went out to my back yard and out to the park multiple times and played with various flash, lenses and focus modes to find what would work. I ended up being over-prepared for what I needed, but it felt good knowing exactly what to expect through the day.

If I simply listened to what other people had said, I likely would not have felt comfortable in a couple of instances.
11-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm not sure that flash photography is one of those practices that can reward just going out and trying things, at least not without a foundation of knowledge and understanding first. It really helps to know in advance how the camera, flash and lens will influence each others behaviour, and what modes and choices you have to take real control, depending on the dynamism of the situation and your specific equipment.

There are so many reports from those relatively new to flash about frustrations with exposures, sync modes not working etc etc, and often it is a misunderstanding of the parameters, both physics and technical, that the equipment is bound by. In all these cases, just going out and trying stuff had not helped.....

But out course, for the creative stuff and learning about light direction, quality etc, then nothing beats some experimentation!