Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Your power switch is dying or dead or gunky. If at all you open the camera for repair that is the first thing you should reach out to and clean it up real good. If they are carbon contacts then don't use alcohol. Just clean it up with a dry paper towel as much gunk as you can. If its very old then the contacts may have run down so much that .. that switch may need to be replaced.
There is nothing else that will contribute to the problem unless your K-X experienced a serious drop where in some internal wiring or board is cracked open. Try manipulating that power on switch in ways that may possible reestablish contact and see if that works.

11-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw230 Quote
Let me just be clear that the batteries are not the issue. If the firmware is 1.0 then I have read that it's possible to only get the camera to power on for a split second with brand new batteries, so I plan to try that. However, the batteries I have are practically new and work perfectly in my other kx.
Updating firmware is easy and recommended....unless during the update there is any power interruption to the update. Without the complete firmware updated, (or restored), the camera is dead. As far as I know, if this happens, the only way to get it restored is to send it back to the manufacturer, or I presume any authorized Pentax repair station.

The problem could still just be the battery contacts, but based on your mentioning it was fine, and then you mentioned firmware, is it possible that initially the problem was just a power issue, but then the firmware was corrupted during an attempted update?
11-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #18

Original Poster
I will check out the power switch. I wonder if this is possible without disassembly??

No, I have not attempted a firmware update yet. I just read that my old firmware could be a problem. Not sure what to do with the battery contacts besides cleaning. They look identical to the other kx.
11-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Update the firmware. Just follow the instructions but substitute "Fully charged good quality batteries fresh off the charger" for "Fully charged batteries".

If that doesn't fix it taking the top off to access the switch isn't hard https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/156013-repaired-...some-guys.html

11-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would NOT update the firmware until you resolve this issue completely. Surest way to brick a camera is try a firmware update with unreliable power. Later f/w is an improvement but nothing that addresses the issues you are having.
11-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Update the firmware. Just follow the instructions but substitute "Fully charged good quality batteries fresh off the charger" for "Fully charged batteries".

If that doesn't fix it taking the top off to access the switch isn't hard https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/156013-repaired-...some-guys.html
Thanks for the link! Super easy to take the top off. I couldn't see anything wrong and cleaned a few contacts to no avail.

Tonight I will be trying brand new batteries. Don't have any rechargeables so lithium I suppose.

I definitely won't update firmware until it seems to power on somewhat reliably.
11-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I definitely won't update firmware until it seems to power on somewhat reliably.
I totally agree. You will brick it if something fails while the FW is upgrading. Don't do it until your camera turns on and remains on stably. As far as the switch goes you should have shorted the contacts that the switch connects/disconnects when turned on or off. It may appear that nothing is wrong but manually shorting those contacts would tell you if your camera is even turning on. One way to completely isolate the possibility of the switch being faulty.
11-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #23

Original Poster
Good call. How would you recommend to short it?

11-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #24

Original Poster
New lithiums didn't work. Tried touching the area the switch contacts with a piece of metal but that didn't work.
11-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

So you shorted the contacts with fresh batteries installed & still no power?
11-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Were you able to try bending in the contacts in the battery compartment,
so they press harder on the batteries?
11-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
So you shorted the contacts with fresh batteries installed & still no power?
Yeah, at least as far as I knew how to do. I touched what I assume were the switch contacts with various metal objects lol. If this image loads I am referring to the contacts in the bottom left hand corner. The arch shaped one.

---------- Post added 11-11-15 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Were you able to try bending in the contacts in the battery compartment,
so they press harder on the batteries?
Haven't tried this yet. Compared to my other kx they look identical.
11-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Haven't tried this yet. Compared to my other kx they look identical.
You can't tell by looking. Just bend them very slightly.
11-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
You can't tell by looking. Just bend them very slightly.
K sounds like a plan. Bottom and top do you think?
11-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #30

Do you have a multimeter or similar available to make a continuity test ? You can easily test if a switch is working by getting a probe on each pin.
Also you could measure voltage and check how far the system gets powered if at all. This can however be hard to reverse-engineer without experience and you could accidentally short different signals on the parts with finer pitch.