Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

What to do with broken k-x

One of our trusty k-x's recently decided it doesn't want to power on. I've read every thread on the Internet about this and I can tell that I'm not alone by far. I've tried several of the easier suggestions to no avail. Next I plan to buy some brand new energizer lithiums and see if it will power on long enough to update the firmware although I'm not sure what firmware it has.

Bought it new in 2009 and it's worked fine ever since. Recently we moved out west and made the mistake of leaving it in storage for a few summer months. However the camera worked fine for months after that. Then one morning it just would not power on.

I'm trying to decide what my options are if it doesn't power on. I'm debating on taking it apart.. Something that's always stressful with electronics. I would be fine with selling it or parting it out, but I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it to help cover the cost of our new k-50. By the way you can get an 18-55 k50 kit from samys camera for $250 if they're still in Stock.

Anyway just sort of hunting for suggestions. Would like to fix it and sell, but if not I'm wondering if I can part it out or if it would interest anyone on this forum.

Thanks and good day.

11-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw230 Quote
I've tried several of the easier suggestions to no avail.
Anyway just sort of hunting for suggestions.
Can you let us know exactly what you have tried?
That will help us to see if we can give you any useful suggestions,
rather than just repeating what you've already done.
11-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sure. I have cleaned the battery compartment with compressed air although it was spotless and I've cleaned the battery contacts with alcohol. I have tried several different button combinations for powering up that I read about here. I've tried powering up with and without memory card and lens. I've tried pushing down extra hard on the battery door while turning on.

I think that's pretty much it. The batteries were brand new when my wife tried them weeks ago, but by the time I got around to trying some things they had been used a few times.
11-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

"The batteries were brand new when my wife tried them weeks ago, but by the time I got around to trying some things they had been used a few times."

Perhaps try different batteries? These "new" ones may not have held a charge.

11-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Perhaps try different batteries?
Yeah, that is kinda the obvious thing but sometimes overlooked. Use a battery tester if you have one to verify. Also triple check that the batteries are in correctly, I had a few scary moments with my k-x when I put the batteries in wrong and it would not turn on.
11-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry I should have included more details. We have another k-x and I have been using the batteries in it for a while. They power up fine and show a full charge.
11-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Have you tried gently bending the contacts in the battery compartment
so that they press harder on the batteries?

I've often found this to be helpful,
especially for those outlier batteries
that ended up a little bit shorter than they should be.
11-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
I haven't tried that, but I have been pretty thorough in making sure that there is a connection. It's just odd that it worked, was powered down for a while, sat in a closet, then would not power back on.

11-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I haven't tried that, but I have been pretty thorough in making sure that there is a connection. It's just odd that it worked, was powered down for a while, sat in a closet, then would not power back on.
It could have worked when the batteries were freshly charged,
but not after they lost some charge while they were sitting in the closet.
11-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
Let me just be clear that the batteries are not the issue. If the firmware is 1.0 then I have read that it's possible to only get the camera to power on for a split second with brand new batteries, so I plan to try that. However, the batteries I have are practically new and work perfectly in my other kx.
11-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
KDD
Veteran Member

Just turn on and wait few minutes and your finger touch LV, you feel it hot. It may broke.
11-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me just be clear that the batteries are not the issue.
We're just throwing ideas out, in order to try to assist you.
11-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
Definitely, just want to make sure you guys know the batteries are good. That's not to say the connections are.. Definitely keep those ideas coming! Thank you.
KDD I'm not sure I follow you.
11-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #14

Definitely, just want to make sure you guys know the batteries are good. That's not to say the connections are.. Definitely keep those ideas coming! Thank you.
KDD I'm not sure I follow you.
I think what KDD is trying to say is if you turn it on and it starts to get hot somewhere you have short in the camera. But it could also have a bad connection somewhere inside it. Good luck
11-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #15

Original Poster
I will keep that in mind. Thanks!