Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is very good news, glad Pentax stepped up!

12-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello Everybody,

Happy Holidays! I just completed the screwdrive conversion on my 50-135mm with great success via my K200D. It took like 10 minutes double checking everything. It was rather easy utilizing the Notepad++ and Camera on board menus. I am debating if I should do it for my 16-50mm at this time since it works "On and Off." Basically when it warms up.

This community is very good and now I can enjoy my sharp 50-135mm again in action situations thanks to everybody!

Best regards,

Shaolin Panda
12-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin panda Quote
Hello Everybody,

Happy Holidays! I just completed the screwdrive conversion on my 50-135mm with great success via my K200D. It took like 10 minutes double checking everything. It was rather easy utilizing the Notepad++ and Camera on board menus. I am debating if I should do it for my 16-50mm at this time since it works "On and Off." Basically when it warms up.

This community is very good and now I can enjoy my sharp 50-135mm again in action situations thanks to everybody!

Best regards,

Shaolin Panda
Before you decide to convert the 16-50 to screw drive... perhaps you could give it one more shot (keeping it with SDM). My personal experience is that when I am not using the SDM lens, I do not keep it mounted on the camera. I keep both my DA* lenses in the pouches and keep it standing with front element facing down. And since then, every time I mount the lens on the camera, it works right away without hesitation. My 50-135 failed before when I forgot and left it on the camera years ago, fortunately, the fix was covered under warranty. I don't know how to explain it except perhaps something to do with the weight of the SDM motor inside the lens.

Anyway, good luck and hope you enjoy your DA* lenses.
07-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Before you decide to convert the 16-50 to screw drive... perhaps you could give it one more shot (keeping it with SDM). My personal experience is that when I am not using the SDM lens, I do not keep it mounted on the camera. I keep both my DA* lenses in the pouches and keep it standing with front element facing down. And since then, every time I mount the lens on the camera, it works right away without hesitation. My 50-135 failed before when I forgot and left it on the camera years ago, fortunately, the fix was covered under warranty. I don't know how to explain it except perhaps something to do with the weight of the SDM motor inside the lens.

Anyway, good luck and hope you enjoy your DA* lenses.
I just tried this because both of my lenses wouldn’t wake up. I haven’t shot either sdm in awhile because I’ve been shooting a prime. It seemed to make them respond. Very frustrating considering what these lenses cost me.

07-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Warnesm777 Quote
I just tried this because both of my lenses wouldn’t wake up. I haven’t shot either sdm in awhile because I’ve been shooting a prime. It seemed to make them respond. Very frustrating considering what these lenses cost me.
Sorry to hear that. Did you try to clean the contacts on the lens and the camera? Which camera are you using? If you have an older camera (without the contacts), you can try if the screw drive mechanism works or not. I would also try to see if it works with fresh fully charged batteries.
07-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Also they are easy to convert to screwdrive with a K100D and not all that noisy.
I wonder how old the old body has to be for this use. K200D? K20D? K-5? K-5 IIs? So far I've been lucky with my DA* 50-135mm, and DA* 200mm, as I use them on occasion, but sometimes not for many months. Yet, they have worked fine when needed. I don't keep them on-camera in general, but in their pouches.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-30-2018 at 12:36 PM.
07-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I wonder how old the old body has to be for this use. K200D? K20D? K-5? K-5 IIs?
I think like K-10 old. At least I think that is the body Uncle Vanya uses when he converts to screw drive for folks.

08-23-2018, 03:33 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sorry to hear that. Did you try to clean the contacts on the lens and the camera? Which camera are you using? If you have an older camera (without the contacts), you can try if the screw drive mechanism works or not. I would also try to see if it works with fresh fully charged batteries.
No I haven’t cleaned contacts, I guess I should try that. I have both a K5ii and a k3ii. Sometimes it doesn’t work at all and I move the focus ring and it wakes up. Sometimes I will be shooting and it’s working and it just quits or slows down a lot. I love these lenses iq but dealing with sdm is agonizing.
08-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #24

I had the same issue

Luckily cleaning the contacts and letting it sit on the camera while turned on for a while brought it back to life! I was very happy about that. I still have some focusing issues with the K-5, but I don't think those are related to the stuck SDM on the DA* 50-135.
09-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin panda Quote
Hello,

I purchased my Pentax DA*16-50mm and DA*50-135mm in November of 2013. I haven't really taken them out too much since but yesterday I was supposed to take pictures at my friend's wedding and the two lenses I took which were the 16-50mm and 50-135mm did not autofocus at all. I heard the high pitch sound on my 16-50mm lens but nothing was happening. Also the 50-135mm lens made no sound or even attempt to autofocus on my K5ii.

After taking the camera and lens home I thought it could be my k5ii so I put it on my k200D and still the same results.

Did I just have the dreaded SDM motor failure on both of my lenses on the same day?

I put in a quote request at the Ricoh repair website and it said $200 to inspect it. So I'm assuming $400 for both plus whatever they find out after inspecting it. Also does Ricoh honor any type of warranty repair even though it's been over 1 year?

I liked Pentax for their quality but it seems this SDM motor failure hasn't been completely fixed yet. Any thoughts from others experiencing the same thing?
Yup! I bought the 50-50mm f/2.8 DA* Zoom back in 2009. An early one, it failed almost immediately but I did not realize it was actually a failure until after the warranty expired and it seems Ricoh never put out a recall for it. I found a lens firm ware work-a-round solution. But I probably should not explain it here. Google is your friend. Now the lens takes great pix but with the body screw gear.
09-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lamiaceae Quote
I found a lens firm ware work-a-round solution. But I probably should not explain it here.
Are you referring to something other than the conversion to screw drive, which had been discussed at length here?
09-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Are you referring to something other than the conversion to screw drive, which had been discussed at length here?
Not sure what "your" solution that was discussed is. I hacked the firmware to the lens so it only uses the screw gear on my K-3, K-5, K-20D, and K-100D. It always was usable on the K-100D since that older camera does not have SDM (Contacts).
09-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lamiaceae Quote
Not sure what "your" solution that was discussed is. I hacked the firmware to the lens so it only uses the screw gear on my K-3, K-5, K-20D, and K-100D. It always was usable on the K-100D since that older camera does not have SDM (Contacts).
Not my solution, just pointing out that you don't have to worry about discussing the SDM conversion here. It's been discussed at length, and speaking for myself, I'm always eager to hear the experience of others.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
10-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Put "sdm repair" into the forum search, if you are good at taking things apart AND reassembling them successfully, then you could save yourself a lot of money. I've had my 16-50 apart twice, the second time to drill holes so that the motor could be reached without taking the bloody thing apart a third time. It seems to get better with age, although I do regularly run the focus motor to stop it from sticking.
I've used the disassemble, free the SDM motor method and found it works quite well.
if i need to repeat the process i'll take on board the idea of drilling the mount and the second retaining plate, to create permanent access to the SDM.
this will not compromise the weather seal as the hole will be inside the gasket on the lens mount.
hopefully it will be a while before this is needed.
10-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan63 Quote
I've used the disassemble, free the SDM motor method and found it works quite well.
if i need to repeat the process i'll take on board the idea of drilling the mount and the second retaining plate, to create permanent access to the SDM.
this will not compromise the weather seal as the hole will be inside the gasket on the lens mount.
hopefully it will be a while before this is needed.
This thread is originally from 2015 and was last commented in a year ago...
Closed Thread