Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote

To tell you the truth, I even asked in this forum how many pixels would I'll be dealing with, when I shot 4:3 - NOBODY ! tell me, that K3 is not capable to make stills in 4:3
That is not true. Adam clearly told you the K-3 would not do 4:3.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/304748-k-3-resol...ml#post3385380

Last edited by Parallax; 11-09-2015 at 07:25 AM.
11-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Thanks for bringing this up. Another one to add to the ignore list.

bingo!
11-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yada yada yada

FIRST OF ALL - CROPING SUCKS - I'm a great photographer because I can deliver 0-0 shots ( no croping at all ) and I make my composition while I'm shooting, not after.

Yes, of course I can crop, but every time ?? THANKS, BUT NO THANKS.
Well, if you're a great photographer, you don't need our "inexperienced" advice here. A great photographer would have done their homework before purchasing a camera. Coming on the forum to bash not only the K3, but the kind members here really isn't how this site operates.

As far as the K3 being "It's big, heavy"; I'm a 74 year old petite woman with small hands, & I find the size & weight of the K3 to be perfect, even when out on hikes!
11-09-2015, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter

You do know that in the film days, different sizes were made by making a printing from the negative and then physically cutting the print to the size & aspect required? Cropping in post is the digital equivalent. Good photographers leave themselves enough room in the framed shot to be able to make the print sizes they might want.

11-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to try to help a misguided OP - is there an APSC format camera other than the K01 that offers 4:3 format? I would expect it to be possible perhaps on a mirrorless like the Sony E mount series cameras or A mount series.
11-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just to try to help a misguided OP - is there an APSC format camera other than the K01 that offers 4:3 format? I would expect it to be possible perhaps on a mirrorless like the Sony E mount series cameras or A mount series.
Some of the Canon cameras allow the aspect ratio to be set when using live view. They save jpegs at this ratio or raws as 3:2 with a note that will tell the canon developing software to crop to the set ratio, see Changing the Aspect Ratio (EOS REBEL T5/EOS 1200D)

You could also use black electrical tape to mask out part of your sensor (obligatory disclaimer- use at your own risk). Black electrical tape has a million uses.
11-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes, because of the mirror system....
I just "upgraded" my Oly pen 5 system, but after a couple of days I'm not even close to be satisfied with K -3...

It's big, heavy, with lack of aspect ratio 4:3 ( and I didn't know that before I order this one ), and I can tell you right now - it's a great camera by many standards,

but obviously not mine. I prefer 4:3 because 3:2 in portrait mode just sucks for me, and in landscape it's more or less irellevant....

So sad, about this...

To tell you the truth, I even asked in this forum how many pixels would I'll be dealing with, when I shot 4:3 - NOBODY ! tell me, that K3 is not capable to make stills in 4:3
I am grateful you chose to pursue photography instead of a medical profession.

11-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #23
Forum Member

yada yada yada

FIRST OF ALL - CROPING SUCKS - I'm a great photographer because I can deliver 0-0 shots ( no croping at all ) and I make my composition while I'm shooting, not after.

Yes, of course I can crop, but every time ?? THANKS, BUT NO THANKS.

People who think and state that they are "great photographers" usually are not........

11-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OH, I'm sorry then. .I'm a lousy reader obviously. . Sorry for my bad words here, on this topic here. .
But, yes,
dissapointment was obvious. .
Yet again,
I think maybe I will just cover my LCD with two transparent grey stripes of folium, and I will have 4:3
11-09-2015, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OH, I'm sorry then. .I'm a lousy reader obviously. . Sorry for my bad words here, on this topic here. .
But, yes,
dissapointment was obvious. .
Yet again,
I think maybe I will just cover my LCD with two transparent grey stripes of folium, and I will have 4:3
That will work well in LiveView. If you need the optical view then consider getting a replacement focusing screen and marking or masking the borders. I'm not sure if masking them will impact matrix metering but then again even not masking could lead to small exposure issues if something out of the "4:3" frame is very bright or dark. You might want to use Center weighting in complex light or spot metering - or just chimp and adjust. It's a lazier approach but viable in digital most of the time.
11-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think that solution would work very well. .
One more question,
every time my camera goes 'down', I must again turn the LView on lcd . .
Is there a menu option to keep Lview 'on' ?
11-09-2015, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter

Katz Eye makes a replacement screen. And you can read about their marking options here. I think if you replaced the screen with one with "portrait markings" and shoot your subjects within those frames, you'll be much happier.

Last edited by dansamy; 11-09-2015 at 10:48 AM.
11-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

yada yada yada
As you may have noticed, the mods edited your post. That is often a prelude to having your wings clipped.

Steve
11-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Live view is not the normal mode of operation for DSLR cameras, so you have to press the button to go into live view.
Honestly, it looks like you were looking for a completely different camera than a DSLR. Hope you find something that suits you
11-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, this is not a menu option. The menu settings for still photography are summarized on pages 18-24 of the English version of the user manual. If you need a camera with the option to default to live view, a Sony product may be your best option.

Steve
Closed Thread