Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Change Picture Aspect ratio in Pentax K3 ?

Hi,

Is there a way to change my aspect ratio format from 3:2 to 4:3, because I prefer a lot better 4:3 for my portrait shots...

I think there is no way, because I did not find it in menu, but maybe I'm wrong

11-09-2015, 03:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that the higher-end bodies (K5, K3) do not offer that option.

The only recent "higher end" body that does is the K-01.

I believe.
11-09-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I believe that the higher-end bodies (K5, K3) do not offer that option.

The only recent "higher end" body that does is the K-01.

I believe.

Yes, because of the mirror system....
I just "upgraded" my Oly pen 5 system, but after a couple of days I'm not even close to be satisfied with K -3...

It's big, heavy, with lack of aspect ratio 4:3 ( and I didn't know that before I order this one ), and I can tell you right now - it's a great camera by many standards,

but obviously not mine. I prefer 4:3 because 3:2 in portrait mode just sucks for me, and in landscape it's more or less irellevant....

So sad, about this...

To tell you the truth, I even asked in this forum how many pixels would I'll be dealing with, when I shot 4:3 - NOBODY ! tell me, that K3 is not capable to make stills in 4:3

Last edited by Parallax; 11-09-2015 at 06:53 AM.
11-09-2015, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Just Crop it....

11-09-2015, 03:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
To tell you the truth, I even asked in this forum how many pixels would I'll be dealing with, when I shot 4:3 - AND FU..IN NOBODY ! tell me, that K3 is not capable to make stills in 4:3
That's because you can generate any aspect ratio you like by cropping afterwards. So the K3 CAN make stills in 4:3. :-)

Ronnie
11-09-2015, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Yes, because of the mirror system....
I just "upgraded" my Oly pen 5 system, but after a couple of days I'm not even close to be satisfied with K -3...

It's big, heavy, with lack of aspect ratio 4:3 ( and I didn't know that before I order this one ), and I can tell you right now - it's a great camera by many standards,

but obviously not mine. I prefer 4:3 because 3:2 in portrait mode just sucks for me, and in landscape it's more or less irellevant....

So sad, about this...

To tell you the truth, I even asked in this forum how many pixels would I'll be dealing with, when I shot 4:3 - AND FU..IN NOBODY ! tell me, that K3 is not capable to make stills in 4:3
First you should use a more appropriate language.

Second the aspect ratio of the sensor is not a secret.

I find it a little difficult to believe such a case of user error.
11-09-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote

yada yada yada

I'm a great photographer because I can deliver 0-0 shots ( no croping at all ) and I make my composition while I'm shooting, not after.

Yes, of course I can crop, but every time ?? THANKS, BUT NO THANKS.

Last edited by Ash; 11-09-2015 at 12:59 PM.
11-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lens covers a circular area, so anything you make rectangular is something of a crop.

Seb
11-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you shoot raw, then you can crop in PP without actually losing any area (as you can always just "undo" the crop). You can even set up most software to crop automatically.
If you shoot jpeg.. well, that is the whole problem with jpeg. Editing it can make it worse or bloat its file size. Jpegs are sub-optimal anyway.

If you go into Info menu, or maybe first go into Live view and then Info menu - is there an aspect ratio option? If not, then I don't think that camera can change it.

I think pretty much all DSLRs and film cameras are 3:2 ratio, since.. well, 35mm film became standardized. I don't know how many DSLRs even have an option to change this. I don't think many. Mirrorless cameras are more likely to have such options (Pentax K-01 has it, for example), because they don't have an optical viewfinder. They are always in live view.

Yes, DSLR cameras can be complicated to use. If you think that you will never be able to get the hang of it, feel free to sell it off while it still has some value.
11-09-2015, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should point out that most portraitists prefer 4:5 proportion over 3:4.
Heck, most standard picture frames are 4:5 proportion.
So while I can empathize with the OP about not being able to specify the image capture proportions, I feel he doth "complainith too much".

Michael

P.S. I love the 4:5 crop on my D800!

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 11-09-2015 at 06:59 AM.
11-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Without an optical mask to show 4:3 format in the viewfinder it would be of limited value to most people to offer a crop ratio like that. The k01 offers it because the LCD is the viewer and you can compose to that format. If you shoot in the center of the 3:2 frame you could setup automated post processing to generate a 4:3 aspect ratio with no human interaction. This might be easier if you obtained a focusing screen marked for 4:3 or modified an existing one.

Honestly your complaints about people not warning you are nuts. I recall that thread; some people may have understood your question as asking how many pixels you have at 4:3 after cropping. You failed to understand the comment by Adam that directly indicated that this was only possible via cropping.

If you don't like the k3 due to this issue selling it may be the best bet.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-09-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: edited to reflect corrected info about the other thread
11-09-2015, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for bringing this up. Another one to add to the ignore list.
11-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow, thanks for quoting the OP for posterity. This is the thread he's referring to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/304748-k-3-resol...ect-ratio.html, where he was explicitly told that the aspect ratio of the K-3 cannot be changed in camera for stills.

What a swell guy.
11-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

if 4:3, and only 4:3 is your thing why did you not get a 645D or Z?
11-09-2015, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

It's big, heavy, with lack of aspect ratio 4:3 ( and I didn't know that before I order this one ), and I can tell you right now - it's a great camera by many standards, but obviously not mine. I prefer 4:3 because 3:2 in portrait mode just sucks for me, and in landscape it's more or less irellevant....
How could you not know, did you not research the features of the K3 before your purchase? its common knowledge Pentax uses a 3:2 sensor and a quick look at an online manual would let one know if changing the aspect ratio in camera was possible.
BS... Adam replied to your asking with this...

"It's 24MP normally, also you cannot change the aspect ratio in-camera on the K-3 (except 16:9 for video). If you did so in post you would be cropping about 88% of the frame, which would leave you with just over 21MP.

P.S. The 645Z shoots 4:3 natively "

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-09-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Closed Thread