Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Pentax K-500 firmware problem

Recently I installed the (relatively) new firmware (1.02) on the Pentax K-500.
Newly bought, it was it was 0.9.
I immediately got a strange problem: all the pictures go terribly underexposed,
almost complete darkness.
And - regardless of the mode, even if you put it on scene mode, or change shutter/aperture priority.
It's interesting that judging by the EXIF-data, the actual shutter speed, aperture and ISO
setting are quite adequate, ie this is not an error of metering.

If the lens aperture is manually set (not 'A') the captured image is normal.
You can get two shots with identical EXIF-data but one normal, the other - dark.

I thought it was the lense's fault (such as, the camera would not be able to set the aperature),
but no, all my lenses reproduced this behavior.
I.e. remains in the firmware.

Is anybody having the same issue?
What can help? Reverting to 1.01 did not yield any good results.

11-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you got a camera with firmware version 0.9, it was almost certainly a pre-production model that shouldn't have been sold to you.

Regardless, it sounds like there is an issue with the aperture actuator that may need servicing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
A_J

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you got a camera with firmware version 0.9, it was almost certainly a pre-production model that shouldn't have been sold to you.

Regardless, it sounds like there is an issue with the aperture actuator that may need servicing.
If nobody has a solution for this in the near future, I think I should just replace the camera...
11-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A_J Quote
If nobody has a solution for this in the near future, I think I should just replace the camera...

Well, by the sound of it, a repair's needed, but if it's out of warranty ...