Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Dslr Recommendation

Hi,
I am new to this forum and looking for some input/advice. I've decided to buy my first Pentax dslr but can't decide which of these 2 options to go with. Option #1 is a new K50 with a pristine Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens, option #2 is a new Ks2 with the 18-50 WR retractable kit lens. I plan to use the camera for general purpose shooting, some low light but mainly walk around in good light. Being water resistant is not as important to me as good IQ is. Both options would be about equal in price. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

11-17-2015, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

Either are great choices!
11-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tclaw Quote
Hi,
I am new to this forum and looking for some input/advice. I've decided to buy my first Pentax dslr but can't decide which of these 2 options to go with. Option #1 is a new K50 with a pristine Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens, option #2 is a new Ks2 with the 18-50 WR retractable kit lens. I plan to use the camera for general purpose shooting, some low light but mainly walk around in good light. Being water resistant is not as important to me as good IQ is. Both options would be about equal in price. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
The K-50 with a better lens would be better overall

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2015, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KS2 might be easier to carry everywhere. A lot of times you see a shot when your camera is at home. Cameras at home never take interesting pictures.

11-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Go with the quality lens option, Tclaw ... that Tammy will serve you well even after the camera itself becomes dated. :-)
11-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Yes, get the K-50 with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - its a great combo, basically what I have (k-30). Compared to the kit, the Tamron is larger, but in a nice way, and the f/2.8 aperture makes me really reluctant to every use the kit again, especially indoors, because i'd be loosing 2 stops of light on the long end. Hopefully i'm not getting too technical :P

One word of warning - the Tamron 17-50 is not a true 17-50. I've compared it to my pentax lenses, and at least at the long end, its more like 45mm. It even records it as 45mm on my camera. If this is your only lens, you might find yourself wanting more reach, in which case I'd recommend the Pentax HD DA 55-300 f/4-5.8, over your budget, but this black friday the price will likely go down to around $260.
11-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Knowing what I know now, and given the choice you are facing, I would take the K50 and Tamron 17-50/2.8 in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes. The fast constant maximum aperture is worth the loss of the WR, which for you is not a deal breaker. I haven't handled this new retractable kit lens, but IIRC deploying it ready for use is a separate step over and above taking off the lenscap and switching on the camera, and until that's done it won't take pictures. I've already seen at least one post here saying it's awkward and fiddly, and hypothetically speaking, the shots you miss while struggling to deploy it will be the ones you never forgive yourself (or it) for.

11-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Forum Member

I've not used either but I have a K30 which is basically a K50. It's a great camera, for sure, but I've read some glowing reviews of the K-S2 which has an extra 4MP and no AA filter (for more detail). Therefore I would think seriously about the K-S2.

As for the lens, well the K-S2 kit 18-55 is not great, so I'd be looking for a body-only. Then maybe look at a Sigma 17-70, a used one if funds are low. I know that doesn't answer your question really, but it might be worth considering options other than the two you mentioned. I'd always go for used lenses on fleabay, and experiment with some old manual ones too. I've not used the Tamron but for the price you could buy the older Pentax 18-55 WR and another lens. All depends on what you want to shoot.

Good luck and enjoy your photography
11-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

How much is your budget?
11-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, how did you conclude you wanted a Pentax body over Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, and the rest?
11-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd take the k-s2. In the long run, having the tammy lens would (potentially) be a better option, Granted, But only if you like zooms.

good quality primes (28, 50, 120, 135, etc), are relatively cheap, and the k-s2 will have a sensor that can fully appreciate that glass. The k-50 is a little weak IQ wise in comparison. Yes the tammy is a good lens (and you should always invest in glass before camera), but it's no match for a 50mm f1.7, and frankly unless you're willing to commit mega bucks to a zoom, they'll never be as good as a decent DA or FA prime. (Speaking as an owner of the 8-16 sigma, 12-24 da, and 50-136 da*).

Having seen first hand how much better the k-s1 is compared to the k-5 (image quality wise), the only reason I'd recommend the k-5 would be because I had one to sell.

The lens would be a better long term investment, but it's possibly the wrong investment. Just to be annoying and throw an alternative point of view into the ring....
11-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think that a normal zoom is what you anchor your LBA from, Rob. :-)
11-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
good quality primes (28, 50, 120, 135, etc), are relatively cheap, and the k-s2 will have a sensor that can fully appreciate that glass.
Good point, a lot of cheap manual pentax glass. M 50 1.7 - $50

The k-50 is a little weak IQ wise in comparison.
On paper, yes, but in the field, if you've got a better lens on the k-50 compared to the kit on the k-s2, and you know what you're doing - no difference.

but it's no match for a 50mm f1.7
I think my Tammy might be sharper than my M 50 1.7... I did tests, it appears sharper.

ust to be annoying and throw an alternative point of view into the ring....
definetely
11-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, let's be honest, a good zoom is what covers the wide angle for most people. A 40mm XS or 35mm f2.4 is a better prime than most of the legacy glass, (and the 21 or 15 piss on any zoom at the wide end - even the really good ones!). Depends what you're after.

I'd prefer a cheap second hand da 35 f2.4 + k-s2 over a k-50 + tammy. That's not to say the tammy or k50 are bad options, just that I'd prefer that set up.

And yes, in the real world, the k-s1 produces noticeably better images than a k-5. (Having used both of those in the real world). Aside from the ropey auto focus, the k-5 is a nicer camera than the k-s1, and admittedly the ergonomics of the k-s1 could be better; but we're talking about the k-50 (not as good as k-5) and the k-s2 (better than the k-s1). I'll stick with my k-3 for now, but I wouldn't want to go back to a k-5. I could however trade my k-3 for a k-s1 (not that I'd want to), and still be happy.
11-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

I rather thought that the K-50 was better than the k-5, in some ways. I guess i'm wrong - but with a bit of research, it appears the k-s1 is also not as good as the k-5, in part at least by dxomark sensor ratings. I'm sure with the same lens the k-s1 can produce better images without its aa filter, but i was talking about the two scenarios the OP posted, k-50 w/ tammy vs. k-s2 with 18-50 kit which is not quite as good as the 18-55 kit.