Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Megapixels vs. RAW

I've recently started getting into photography, and still learning all the terms that are involved around it. As I have been searching for a new camera, I've gained some knowledge on them. However, there are still new words that just stump me or I don't know what they mean.
Adding onto this, I've come down to two camera choices, however, I can't decide which to chose. The bottom line is one of them has 16MP, and no RAW, and the other has 12MP and RAW. They are the Nikon P600 and the Canon SX50. They are going to be used to for action and wildlife photography.
Thanks in advance!
-belen_a

11-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, I can't really help with either of those cameras.
I would suggest getting a Pentax DSLR.

Here's a comparison:
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

It depends on what IQ you want if you need RAW, most people are fine without it.
11-19-2015, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I would never buy a camera without RAW ability but that's just me. As Bertwert noted most people are just fine with jpg only.
11-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are probably better off going to a regular camera forum like DPReview, as this is a Pentax-centric site.

Canon PowerShot Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Nikon Coolpix Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I've used both the Nikon P600 and the Canon SX50. The image quality of both cameras is good for their genre, but the EVF in both is small, low-res and difficult to use, IMO. The autofocus is also very slow, so depending on what kind of "action" you are intending to shoot, it might be inadequate.

You might find this article from Imaging Resource instructive:

Best Superzoom 2014: Eight competitors, 2.5 clear winners

11-19-2015, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #5

To my experience, I ..... have never had experience with Canikon. I suggest you buy a pentax.
11-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tovo Quote
To my experience, I ..... have never had experience with Canikon. I suggest you buy a pentax.
Unfortunately, Ricoh/Pentax no longer offers cameras in the fixed lens, super-zoom space.

Steve
11-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hello everybody

I had a SX50 for wildlife and i wouldnt recommend it. Or any similar camera.

Years ago i had a Canon 1100D with a Tamron 70-300, the image quality itself and the lens were ok but i hated the ergonomics and the autofocus.
Because i live in an area with lots of wildlife i wanted to give it another try and got fooled by the quite impressive specs of the Canon SX50. But to be honest the only wildlife you can shoot with confidence with a SX50 has to be dead for weeks. Its just about luck. And even if the autofocus hits its just looks mushy on the telephoto side because of the lens, the limited sensor.

Now i have a Pentax K3 with Battery grip and the Pentax DA* 300mm F4 and i am quite happy with it. When i bought it it was around 2500 with accessories but it was well worth it, much more than the 400 for the SX50. You will find the most expensive gear at wildlife and action/sports shooters, with cheaper equipment its mostly about luck (Or more skill than i have).

These are images of a male rabbit chasing a female one at full speed just after sunset. This would have been absolutely impossible with the SX50 in brightest daylight.

To sum it up dont have unrealistic expectations from cameras like the SX50.Its an ok camera all in all and fine for some casual pictures, maybe for a sitting cat/dog but thats about it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Bewatek; 11-19-2015 at 11:24 AM.
11-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've heard great reports about the P600 and P900, although lack of RAW is of concern to many photographers. Bracketing is generally quite fast with these superzooms so if you could live with that (i.e. always shooting three bracketed exposures for each shot) then I think you'd be happy 99% of the time.

Personally for long reach I'm somewhat inclined to see what Nikon offers with their forthcoming Nikon 1 V4. Combined with their 70-300mm CX lens you end up with a 189-810mm "equivalent" zoom which would be much lighter and smaller than hauling around any ordinary 500mm+ lens. Might make a fine addition to my K-3 II + 60-250mm setup. We'll see.

Good luck with your choosing -- it's a great time of year to pick up some deals!

Michael

11-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

I've owned a Nikon P500, it also did not have raw images. I was never happy with the Jpeg quality because I am a pixel peeper. My friends suggested I should go for a DSLR, but I did not heed them, after that I went ahead and bought a mirrorless Lumix, and sold the P500, I was happier, but not satisfied, After that I bought the Nikon D5100 and I was pretty happy, Then I wanted a backup camera and decided on a Pentax K-30 because I got it at a good deal, Since then, I've gone fully pentax, sold my Nikons and bought an additional K-5, Now I shoot only raw because I am so much happier with what i can do with the pictures. So if I had listened to my friends at first i would have ended up with a DSLR in the beginnning, but i tried to save money and ended up spending more anyway..

But yeah the whole reason I mentioned my transformation was because I also started off like you, but ended up with a DSLR. So even for you, I would suggest going for a DSLR and a zoom lens, that would be a better solution for the long term. Whether you want a Nikon/Canon/Pentax is upto you, but my suggestion is to go for a Pentax, I got a really good used K-5 for 270 and recently even got a 55-300 zoom which is really a good quality zoom compared to canikon zooms for about 90$, okay, that was cheap, but you could easily get one for around 120$ on ebay. Pentax is really good for learners, especially because you don't have to invest as much money upfront. Unless you are looking at multiple TTL and PTTL Flash options and/Or ultra zoom for sports, you can easily go Professional with Pentax too.

Last edited by donpjt; 11-19-2015 at 11:39 AM.
11-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you for all the information! This does help me greatly.
11-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by belen_a Quote
I've recently started getting into photography, and still learning all the terms that are involved around it. As I have been searching for a new camera, I've gained some knowledge on them. However, there are still new words that just stump me or I don't know what they mean.
Adding onto this, I've come down to two camera choices, however, I can't decide which to chose. The bottom line is one of them has 16MP, and no RAW, and the other has 12MP and RAW. They are the Nikon P600 and the Canon SX50. They are going to be used to for action and wildlife photography.
Thanks in advance!
-belen_a
Especially when it comes to cameras with small sensors, the difference between 12mp and 16mp will be negligible. I'd go for the one with raw

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-19-2015, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And finally, just a little word of advise. If you had gone to a Canon or Nikon forum and asked the question in reverse, as in what Pentax camera should you buy?, You would get a lot of flames for asking that question.

It seems some, not all but some, Nikon and especially Canon owners look down on Pentax cameras. If you read through some of the threads in here, you can see where some forum member have been out taking photos and somebody will come up and ask what camera they are using. After saying Pentax, the person asking the question will 1-look at you funny, 2-just walk away and not say anything, 3-ask why they are not using a real camera like a Canon, or 4-Say that they didn't know Pentax was still making cameras.

As you can see from the replies, Pentax users will help even if the question is not about a Pentax camera.

I would suggest buying a Pentax camera too but it all depends on what your needs are.
11-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by belen_a Quote
Thanks in advance!
-belen_a
Really it is a difficult thing you ask, you come to a Pentax forum to ask about picking a Nikon over a canon or visa versa.

But, ignoring brands, the question of whether a bridge camera should include raw or not, is worth discussion, for me, that is far down the list of features that would make a difference as to whether to purchase the camera or not.

JPEG if managed correctly on a bridge camera should be enough for 99.9 % of your shots. You should concentrate on grain / noise at higher ISO, flash options, focal length range and shutter speeds, and effectiveness of any stabilization the cameras have especially at longer focal lengths
11-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-S1 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black) | 06424

You're welcome!
11-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have a feeling that you'd get tired of the SX50 rather fast, if you're hoping to use it for sports/action. I own a copy, and while the extended zoom is nice, that's about the only thing that would be called a plus.

As someone already mentioned, the LCD/EVF is extremely low res, and not very responsive: it's kind of laggy. (Is that a word?)

One thing that's very important in action photography is the shutter lag, (the amount of time that elapses from the time that you "hit" the shutter button, till the camera actually responds and snaps the picture) That's one place where "bridge" cameras lag (pun intended) behind any DSLR even entry-level ones. I can't seem to find any authoritative source for shutter lag info, but from the little research that I did, a Pentax DSLR has a shutter lag of less than 100ms, while the SX50 is probably around 250-300ms.

Also, the SX50's max shutter speed is only 1/2000, while my K-5IIs has a max of 1/8000. In action photography, you want fast shutter speeds to freeze the action. I don't know how much real-world difference that makes, you'd need some pretty bright sunlight to have to go above 1/2000.