Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Light meter suggesting an exposure which is too low?

I just purchased a used K5 camera, and I noticed that when I rely on the light meter which is shown on each LCD as well as through the view finder, every photo comes out underexposed. This isn't an issue when I shoot in green mode, but in manual, program, and seemingly every other mode, it suggests an underexposed photo. I'm hoping there's some setting in the camera which could adjust the light meter to a more accurately exposed suggestion. Could anybody help me with this?

11-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check if the EV compensation is set to zero. And you can always set it to +1/3, +2/3, etc compensation to correct any underexposure if that's the case.
11-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Check if the EV compensation is set to zero. And you can always set it to +1/3, +2/3, etc compensation to correct any underexposure if that's the case.
Sorry, noob question, but how do I check/adjust the EV compensation? I'm not sure where in the menus to find it. I have EV steps set to 1/3 steps, but I'm not sure how to access EV compensation.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 01:56 PM ----------

Just kidding, I found it! Thank you for the help
11-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Put your camera on a tripod and aim at a non-moving subject in an environment with constant lighting. (not outdoors where clouds and sun can change exposure or wind can move trees, people move, etc...)

Once you have a stable environment THEN change the settings on your camera.
Does the problem still persist?

What metering mode are you using? Spot, centered or the full matrix metering?
Also, what program line is your camera set to? (i.e. normal, fast, slow? See Menu 3: Third line from bottom.)
These can affect your camera differently in different modes and even very slight changes in the scene can greatly affect metering. Thus the reason to do any testing in a static environment.

Sadly, if this is a real issue, there is no user-lever setting in the camera to adjust metering.
You just have to get to know your camera and adjust exposure as necessary. (or send the camera in for repair)
Luckily the LCD gives a good relative indication of exposure. It should in no way be an indication of an accurate representation of the final image.
But you can at least determine if exposure is relatively higher or lower than another image.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 04:07 PM ----------

Don't know how much of a noob you are, but let say you put your camera in AV mode. Is the Aperture set consistent with what was chosen in Green mode?
For me, I just tested and Green mode put it at F5.0. When in AV mode, it was set to F22. This would likely be difficult to get a proper shutter speed if my ISO was low.

You may need to adjust several settings to get your exposure "correct". Once I set ISO and Aperture consistent with Green mode, the shutter speed was also corrected and each exposure appeared exactly the same (when viewed on the LCD)
When I adjusted the aperture or ISO the shutter speed also adjusted properly and exposure was still correct.

So, if you are in fact having different behavior and exposure is not able to be consistent, then there is a problem.

Last edited by amoringello; 11-19-2015 at 02:09 PM.
11-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By convention, Vodmeiilyn, camera meters assume the scene is 18% grey. If you're shooting in bright daylight all the time, the pics are going to be consistently underexposed. Your whites will be a dirty grey.

But that's why you bought a DSLR, you're in control with your dials. :-)