Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I noticed that sometimes, when I inserted a SD card, the led was not lightning as it should, this is linked to these issues.
Used amoniac on a "trash" SD card and it seems to have done a great job, I now always have the red led lightning when inserting a card !
(amoniac is used in some home cleaning products to clean copper, silver, etc... so I thought it could remove any oxydation of card reader plots)
Hope this will be fixed for good now

Periodically (every 6 months) cleaning the SD cards contacts with amoniac might also be a good idea, just open your windows or use a mask as amoniac vapors are very toxic (you have amoniac in most cigarettes, I'm glad to have switched to e-cig^^)

11-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
Did it again tonight with 100% loaded batteries, SD card formatted with the SDFormatter tool then formatted via the camera menu. I'm so upset...
I used to have these problems pretty regularly with my K200D. I could never pin down the cause, but it seemed to correlate with taking a long series of shots, and then pushing the display button before the camera was done
writing to the card. It also seemed to correlate with batteries being partially depleted. My theory is that turning on the display while the camera was writing to the card would result in a voltage drop and therefore, corruption. So I tried
to control the urge to chimp immediately after taking a long series of shots, and I saw the problem much less frequently. I think it got worse over time as my eneloops aged.

Sometimes, the corrupted card could be recovered using the commonly available programs like Photorec and Recuva. I think it would depend on whether or not I noticed the corruption and removed the card before taking additional photos. Sometimes, only certain programs could recover the card. RescuePro was the best program in my experience - I got a free 1 year subscription for it with the first Sandisk Extreme card I bought.

After I started to use Sandisk Extreme cards, I stopped seeing these problems. But it wasn't long after that that I got a K30 and so I haven't used my K200D much since then.
11-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
After I started to use Sandisk Extreme cards, I stopped seeing these problems. But it wasn't long after that that I got a K30 and so I haven't used my K200D much since then.
I have a fleet of Sandisk Extreme cards, and have never experienced any corruption with my K10D (8 years of shooting) or my new-to-me K3 (a couple of thousand shots so far) or my wife's X-5 which is using a couple of small cards I have cast off because of the size of the K3 images (I shoot RAW+ with the L*** JPEGs).
11-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

If a recovery tool detects DNG files as TIFF, it may be that tool is not up-to-date and does not recognize the code for DNG in the file header.

But as DNG stores the image itself in TIFF format (as far as I know, but with a lot of additional overhead), the program may have catagorized the file as TIFF because of a known internal structure.

You could try just to rename the files from TIFF to DNG; if the recovery was nevertheless complete, this may work.

11-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
If a recovery tool detects DNG files as TIFF, it may be that tool is not up-to-date and does not recognize the code for DNG in the file header.

But as DNG stores the image itself in TIFF format (as far as I know, but with a lot of additional overhead), the program may have catagorized the file as TIFF because of a known internal structure.

You could try just to rename the files from TIFF to DNG; if the recovery was nevertheless complete, this may work.
LR sees and process TIFF files exactly as if they were DNG so I did not need any renaming, works perfectly as is^^