Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
SDHC Issues

I recently started to have issue with my SDHC cards on my K200D, hope this is not due to the camera !

After a bunch of shot (I almost always view each shot I take after I took it) the LCD displays "Impossible to display image", and then, I can't view any of the photos I've taken. When I then put my SDHC in my USB3 card reader, LR tells me there are no images to import... but I can see in windows explorer that the card is not empty although I can't see the DNG files, the removable device bar is loaded, not 100% free.

The cards I use are SanDisk Ultra 40 Mb/s 8 Gb cat. 10 SDHC and I've had no trouble with these since yesterday.

Any advise ? Is there a specific way to format these cards (FAT, FAT32, blocks length... etc) ? May it come from the camera card reader ? Bad contact ? Plots to cleanse ?

I've just used Recuva, a file rescue software and it finds nothing on the card, gonna try another software, this is very frustrating as I took very nice shots yesterday pm and this morning !

I Know understand why some pro cameras have dual SD slots !

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 12:42 AM ----------

Just changed batteries with 100% loaded pack, nothing sure but perhaps this occurs when batteries get low and maybe the battery LCD status has a bug and don't show low batteries, I used the same batteries for a while and although they are good energizer 2400mAh it's a possible cause. Gonna do tests with 100% loaded pack to see if it fails again.

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 12:52 AM ----------

Stellar phoenix recovery, using deep scan seems to find nothing too

11-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using the latest Firmware for the k200D. Can you try using the cards in another camera and see if there is an issue then.

I always Format my cards in camera after transferring any photos, started doing this years ago after a card corrupted several photo files - but fixed itself after doing a complete Format.
11-20-2015, 01:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Use SD Card Formatter. It will format the card to SD card (factory) standards for optimal performance.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
11-20-2015, 01:42 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
I recently started to have issue with my SDHC cards on my K200D, hope this is not due to the camera !

After a bunch of shot (I almost always view each shot I take after I took it) the LCD displays "Impossible to display image", and then, I can't view any of the photos I've taken. When I then put my SDHC in my USB3 card reader, LR tells me there are no images to import... but I can see in windows explorer that the card is not empty although I can't see the DNG files, the removable device bar is loaded, not 100% free.

The cards I use are SanDisk Ultra 40 Mb/s 8 Gb cat. 10 SDHC and I've had no trouble with these since yesterday.

Any advise ? Is there a specific way to format these cards (FAT, FAT32, blocks length... etc) ? May it come from the camera card reader ? Bad contact ? Plots to cleanse ?

I've just used Recuva, a file rescue software and it finds nothing on the card, gonna try another software, this is very frustrating as I took very nice shots yesterday pm and this morning !

I Know understand why some pro cameras have dual SD slots !

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 12:42 AM ----------

Just changed batteries with 100% loaded pack, nothing sure but perhaps this occurs when batteries get low and maybe the battery LCD status has a bug and don't show low batteries, I used the same batteries for a while and although they are good energizer 2400mAh it's a possible cause. Gonna do tests with 100% loaded pack to see if it fails again.

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 12:52 AM ----------

Stellar phoenix recovery, using deep scan seems to find nothing too
Higher-end sandisk cards have limited or limited lifetime warranties. If the card still malfunctions following a format, contact Sandisk and get a replacement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
I replaced batteries this morning and did around 100 to 150 shots without any trouble so I think it is the cause. But the thing is the LCD always show batteries 100% loaded although they might not be.
Thanks for the advise about SDcard formatter, I'll digg that too.
I'll see also if I need a firmware update, maybe new firmware gives more accurate battery level information.
Card don't seem to be the cause as I have 2 8Gb same cards and I had the issue with both of them.
11-20-2015, 03:53 AM   #6

The K200D is very sensitive to battery voltage. It shows battery full until it is too late. The recommendation is to use Enerloops, as they appear to be the only ones that last with the K200D. And yes, it does do some funny things when the batteries are dying (like mirror lock up, shutter open; not writing to SD card; corrupting SD card). But apart from the battery sensitivity and poor high iso performance, it's an excellent camera.
11-20-2015, 04:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
The K200D is very sensitive to battery voltage. It shows battery full until it is too late. The recommendation is to use Enerloops, as they appear to be the only ones that last with the K200D. And yes, it does do some funny things when the batteries are dying (like mirror lock up, shutter open; not writing to SD card; corrupting SD card). But apart from the battery sensitivity and poor high iso performance, it's an excellent camera.
Thank you, I'm now sure this was the cause of this SD writting issue. I'll now just periodically change my batteries for full loaded ones as I have 2x4 energizer 2400mAh and won't rely on the LCD indicator. Energizer, made in Japan seem to be very good batteries too, I really can take tons of shots with one pack and they're known to support a great number of loads.
And yes, the K200D is a good camera, the only cons is the 800 iso limitation (1600 is realy too noisy, even with the power of LR filters). K-5 when I'll be wealthy enough but not mandatory ATM
11-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Did it again tonight with 100% loaded batteries, SD card formatted with the SDFormatter tool then formatted via the camera menu. I'm so upset...
I'm gonna see for a firmware update but as an engineer I don't think it's a software issue as it never did that before yesterday.
Gonna clean the card reader plots of the camera. What can I do more ? Throw my K200D to trash ?

---------- Post added 11-20-15 at 10:15 AM ----------

I've been able to recover the DNG files with EaseUS Data Recovery software and save them as TIF files, so not lost but I badly need to fix this issue, I'm almost sure this is a bad contact in the camera SD card slot. Random issues like this are always hardware issues, mainly when all worked fine for several months. And these SanDisk SDHC cards are good cards.

11-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

One way to clean contacts is to use a good contact cleaner - they are readily available in computer stores. Spray the contacts on the card and insert/remove several times. If it is just dirty/corroded contacts less than $10 for a can of cleaner can save a big bill and lost time. If the contact cleaner doesn't work, I think buying a new-to-you camera would be the cost effective solution.
11-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One way to clean contacts is to use a good contact cleaner - they are readily available in computer stores. Spray the contacts on the card and insert/remove several times. If it is just dirty/corroded contacts less than $10 for a can of cleaner can save a big bill and lost time. If the contact cleaner doesn't work, I think buying a new-to-you camera would be the cost effective solution.
It might be another reason to upgrade to a K-5... starting to save money.
11-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

"...I used the same batteries for a while and although they are good energizer 2400mAh it's a possible cause...."

A long time ago I purchased a Pentax *ist-DL and had endless trouble with it to the point that when the K-x came out I bought it. To make a long story short, I have tried every major battery brand out there and with the sole exception of Eneloops they were trash. Most of them would barely hold charge more than a day or two and heaven forbid what the discharge rate was should you be so bold as to actually use them. I think your batteries time is up.
11-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildBikerBill Quote
"...I used the same batteries for a while and although they are good energizer 2400mAh it's a possible cause...."

A long time ago I purchased a Pentax *ist-DL and had endless trouble with it to the point that when the K-x came out I bought it. To make a long story short, I have tried every major battery brand out there and with the sole exception of Eneloops they were trash. Most of them would barely hold charge more than a day or two and heaven forbid what the discharge rate was should you be so bold as to actually use them. I think your batteries time is up.
I'll see for these eneloops, but my batteries are quite new, they've been charged less than 10 times... and with a good "photo cam III" charger made in Germany by ANSMANN

I cleansed the slot plots with acetone, if it still bugs, I'll clean them with amoniac as aceton is very volatile and probably evaporate frome the 'cleaning sd card' contacts.
11-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #13

Original Poster
Took a bunch of shots this morning with no SD fail, perhaps the cleaning of the camera card reader did the job. Anyway, I now know I can rescue the files with EaseUS Data Recovery tool, showing DNG files as TIFF files but no impact on LR post prod. Other data recovering tools failed to rescue files. Better have several SD cards when going on a shooting campaign^^
11-21-2015, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Try PhotoRec. I found it works better than EaseUS in recovering photo files. The basics of RAW files are based on TIFF and should be compatible with TIFF which is why most recovery tools restore RAW files as TIFF.

PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery

PhotoRec recognizes many RAW files included PEF and usually recovers them as such.
11-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #15

Original Poster
I think I'll clean it again with a cheap SD card and amoniac, as acetone evaporate too fast to clean the reader contacts. I did shots this afternoon and took 2 SD cards, the 1st one failed after 50 shots and the batteries were OK. I thought maybe slower SD cards could be more reliable. I currently use cat. 10 SDHC, I'll look for lower category to see if this fixes the problem. If not, I'll look for a K-5 and "basta".