Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #1

Mode dial not working properly?

My K-50 that is less than three weeks out of the box is having mode dial issues. With the 18-55mm kit lens or Pentax-A lens on, M will not work. It reads as TAv in both TAv and M mode. When I put a Pentax-M lens on, most all the settings show up as Av. Please tell me that I'm just overlooking a setting and this is an easy fix. I tried cleaning the contacts as mentioned in another thread. Firmware was just updated. Battery was removed. Still no change.

Solved! Thanks, Fogel70.

Last edited by wralyn; 11-21-2015 at 12:34 AM.
11-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is normal.

If you have auto ISO enabled in M mode it will show TAv mode.
With a M-series lens the camera will show Av-mode in most modes as the camera can not control the aperture and will only shoot the lens fully open. M-mode fully support M-series lenses and can be used if you want to be able to shoot with any other aperture then fully open.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
11-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick response and preventing an unnecessary panic attack. My LBA has already started and I got a Pentax-M in the mail today. I was trying it out and set it to auto ISO while playing with it. I just changed it back and all is working fine.
11-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To prevent another possible panic attack, I warn you that some M42 lenses may not work as expected. On my K30, I found the tak 28 and 35mm lenses did not meter properly in Av mode. Something to do with the shorting of A contacts. Anyway, I suspect the K50 may do the same. Something to be aware of anyway.