Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Best SDHC for a K200D ?

As I started to have troubles with my 2 SanDisk Ultra 40 Mb/s Cat. 10 SDHC cards, I would like to know if there are more reliable cards, maybe less "ultra" but with no risks of writting errors as what happened to me. Maybe a bit slower cards are more compatible with the K200D ???

Thanks for any advise !

11-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
As I started to have troubles with my 2 SanDisk Ultra 40 Mb/s Cat. 10 SDHC cards, I would like to know if there are more reliable cards, maybe less "ultra" but with no risks of writting errors as what happened to me. Maybe a bit slower cards are more compatible with the K200D ???

Thanks for any advise !
There's no harm in using cards that exceed the capabilities of the camera. I'd recommend Sandisk extreme or extreme pro cards if you want the best reliability (those cards also have limited lifetime warranties).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for this advise, btw I don't think the fails I had come from the card. I cleaned my K200D card reader plots with amoniac using a trash SD card and it seems to have fixed it, I now have the red led going on each time I insert a card while camera is OFF. (This is was not the case these last days, not always having the red signal)
11-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any card can go wrong and I don't think you'll get fewer errors using a slower card. I've used up to 16gb cards in my K200D without any problem but I wouldn't worry about the speed.

11-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for this advise, btw I don't think the fails I had come from the card. I cleaned my K200D card reader plots with amoniac using a trash SD card and it seems to have fixed it, I now have the red led going on each time I insert a card while camera is OFF. (This is was not the case these last days, not always having the red signal)
Glad to hear that you seemed to have fixed the problem! I've found SanDisk cards to be very, very reliable.
11-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Glad to hear that you seemed to have fixed the problem! I've found SanDisk cards to be very, very reliable.
Indeed they are, I'm not sure but I think this company created the SD first cards and made the standard... to digg. This was camera card reader issue (maybe plots are not gold covered and oxydable)
11-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for any advise !
I used to have problems with various cards - including Sandisk Ulta - on my K200D. I don't think I ever had problems once I started using Sandisk Extreme, but now I don't use my K200D very much.
11-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I used to have problems with various cards - including Sandisk Ulta - on my K200D. I don't think I ever had problems once I started using Sandisk Extreme, but now I don't use my K200D very much.
SanDisk Extreme, thanks for this advice anyway now that I cleaned my camera SD solt plots with amoniac, I never had any fail since that cleaning, could be the cause, not sure if these plots are gold-plated, perhaps they can get oxyded... I'll see with time. Probably will get a K-5 in a close future anyway, great upgrade for low light shots

11-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A general advice would be to always check whether the description of a firmware update does mention anything related to SD cards.

Several times in the past, newly introduced cards (other size, speed, or manufacturer) caused problems with certain cameras.
Whenever an increasing number of problems could be traced down to a special card type, camera (and card reader) manufacturers tried to find a firmware work-around.
Usually there came a firmware update offer.
11-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
A general advice would be to always check whether the description of a firmware update does mention anything related to SD cards.

Several times in the past, newly introduced cards (other size, speed, or manufacturer) caused problems with certain cameras.
Whenever an increasing number of problems could be traced down to a special card type, camera (and card reader) manufacturers tried to find a firmware work-around.
Usually there came a firmware update offer.
Gonna check that but I've always been a bit scared to update firmware, any fail during process can kill your camera...
11-23-2015, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Gonna check that but I've always been a bit scared to update firmware, any fail during process can kill your camera...
See this it might help with updating firmware:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
11-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For the longest time, there were no FW updates for the K200D. The last time I checked ( a long time ago ), there was one, but I never installed it.
11-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #13

Original Poster
I did the update, I had the 1.00 version, 1.01 version is the latest and is said to have a better SDHC management and stability, so this also may help
Hopefully, updating to 1.01 does not change any camera settings, took me a while to tweak the exact settings I need for the way I use my K200D (MF, Av or M modes, RAW, etc...)