Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 03:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D-Li90 Battery Issues

I have a problem with the batteries of my K-5: I have three batteries, one original (2011), one OEM (2011) and an almost brand new OEM. All three show the same behavior: they are considered discharged by the camera, but when putting them in the charger, the charger won’t charge (showing green light). However, for example the original Pentax battery from 2011 I have been using recently for 600+ shots. So the battery should be ok despite its age. Any suggestions? Could it be, that the Original Pentax Charger is broken?

11-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's possible. Have you tried plugging the charger in to a different outlet?
11-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, tried different outlets. It behaves the same. It seems sometimes in the past, the charger was able to start the loading process (red light -> loading -> green light), when the battery was completely empty only. However, recently, this also doesn't work anymore.

---------- Post added 11-23-2015 at 11:36 AM ----------

Or could it be, that the contacts in the charger are corroded, maybe?
11-23-2015, 03:38 AM   #4

Not worth playing around with. Numerous 3rd party chargers available at low cost. Or the camera is faulty, showing an incorrect state of charge of the battery. Measure the battery voltage with a votmeter to see is it either the batteries or the camera.

11-23-2015, 03:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they look corroded?

It won't hurt to clean the contacts on the batteries, charger & the camera.
11-23-2015, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flomat Quote
but when putting them in the charger, the charger won’t charge (showing green light).
No , when the light is green with Pentax charger, it means the battery is being charged. If you are using a Pentax charger, you have to wait until the light from the charger switches off.
11-23-2015, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
when the light is green with Pentax charger, it means the battery is being charged. If you are using a Pentax charger, you have to wait until the light from the charger switches off.
exactly, yes, same for my Pentax charger for the K-5 batteries. It did trick me the first time I used it
11-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
No , when the light is green with Pentax charger, it means the battery is being charged. If you are using a Pentax charger, you have to wait until the light from the charger switches off.
Good point - thanks! Could be that I was mixed up with chargers from my other cameras which work like that: red light = charging -> green light = fully charged / no charging.

11-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I found this useful:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

and also:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off

Sometimes, when one of my fancier chargers won't recognize a battery, a few minutes in a "non-smart" quick charger boosts it up enough that the smart charger recognizes it.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 11-23-2015 at 07:48 AM. Reason: additional information
11-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Even Pentax had mixed implementations for the LED indicator of the chargers for P&S accus.

The stand alone chargers showed red for charging, and green for full.
The dual use charger for the Optio S5i and S5z (which have outside contacts to enable reloading while the battery can stay in the body) had red light for charging, nothing for full.
My Panasonic charger (for Lumix) has a green light for charging, nothing for full.