Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Pentax 645 shutter problems

Hi All,

I just bought a pentax 645 off of Ebay and am having trouble with the shutter releasing. The camera looks to be in perfect condition, there are not even signs of wear. When I load batteries in, the camera turns on and all of the buttons work properly. I have tried releasing the shutter without the film back by putting the lens to "A" and I have also loading a roll of film in and the shutter will not release either. Maybe it is a problem with the motor because the film is not registering when I put the back in the camera and I have not heard a motor kick in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

11-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you read the manual? If not download one from Pentax Canada's website. Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA . The Pentax USA site now goes to Pentax in Japan for manuals and only has the digital cameras. No historic film cameras.

I'm assuming that this is the original Pentax 645 and not a 645N or 645N II.

The 645, if I remember correctly needs a special plate in place of the film cassette to release the shutter without film in the camera. See page 14 of the 645 manual.

You can also try manual film winding. This is explained on pages 64 and 65 of the 645 manual.

Regards

Chris
11-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
**Update

Thanks for the response secenthdr. I did read the manual and did everything to the specifications in terms of loading and unloading the cartridge and such. My roommate told me to stop by this hole in the wall camera repair shop and they cleaned the battery connections in the grip. He said that one of the battery slots was dirty and had to be cleaned. Now it works!

Thanks everyone!