Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There actually has been considerable research,as fungal activity can affect a number of industries - silicon fabrication, aerospace engineering, nanotechnology, pharmaceutical fabrication etc. I have several papers regarding fungal growth on silicon substrates dating from 1986 to as recent as 2004 - the general consensus is that softer glass (such as common varieties of ED glass) with high amounts of elemental Phosphorus,Magnesium, Zinc were more favorable to fungal growth, and harder glass types with higher concentrations of heavier elements such as Lead,Thorium,Lanthanum were generally more resistant - especially to the fungal enzymes that lead to etching of the glass.
@Digitalis
Thank you.

But one could have assumed most of this without doing serious research work.
Some of the heavier elements may work as catalysts, but life (at least on our planet) does not include heavy metals in its DNS/DNA. But it seems these fungi just love certain kinds of coatings.

I think most of the stuff you could use to prevent growing fungi in lens arrangements would also be poisonous for people. No way to use it in lenses with their permanent exchange of air with the environment (when in use).

11-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
But one could have assumed most of this without doing serious research work.
Running on assumptions is a bad idea when it comes to lens repairs. What I posted was a less technical summarized overview of the papers, if you want copies of the technical publications PM me.
12-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A 1Kw 355nm optically pumped nitrogen UV laser should do the trick. It also might decompose the optical cement and cause it to ignite, which should make for a fun evening.

There is also a chance of the adhesive between the lenses will also respond by separating.
Interesting point re heat causing elements to separate (not just mechanical bits). I've just cleaned out a 400mm SMC lens with fungus issues and needed to heat the barrel to get it apart. There's a bonded pair of lenses right behind the front lens. They didn't separate, nor have I experienced separation in other lenses where heat was used. From my very limited searching, it appears the adhesive is Canada balsam fir gum which, when dry, apparently has properties nearly identical to glass. I didn't see any information on how much heat would be required to soften it 40 years after assembly, but it would be useful to know. Re-glueing lenses isn't a hobby I need to take up.
12-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Elroy Jetson Quote
Canada balsam fir gum which, when dry, apparently has properties nearly identical to glass
Except for one important fundamental characteristic: the balsam is a primitive polymer, glass has a largely crystalline structure. Both materials behave differently outside of common operating ranges.

QuoteOriginally posted by Elroy Jetson Quote
I didn't see any information on how much heat would be required to soften it 40 years after assembly, but it would be useful to know.
You can separate the elements cemented with Canada balsam by softening the adhesive by heating them in an oven at 150°C for about an hour*, and after separating the elements cool them down (carefully) and soak the separated lens elements in acetone. This should remove the balm from the lens surfaces and then you can attempt re-cementing them with a modern UV curing optical cement.

Warning
: I do not recommend anyone attempt the following high risk technique: It is also possible to use cryogenic cooling to separate lens elements with liquid nitrogen, which causes the Canada balsam to become extremely brittle** - brittle enough that it is possible to shatter the cement between the elements with a quick tap, right at the point of interface with a finely honed blade, after separation the balm simply flakes off.

* the diameter and thickness of the elements have a profound effect on the amount of time needed, this is just a standard recommendation.
**the glass is still significantly stronger then the frozen basalm, but extreme care should be taken when handling glass at these temperatures.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-19-2015 at 10:44 PM.
12-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except for one important fundamental characteristic: the balsam is a primitive polymer, glass has a largely crystalline structure. Both materials behave differently outside of common operating ranges.

You can separate the elements cemented with Canada balsam by softening the adhesive by heating them in an oven at 150°C for about an hour*, and after separating the elements cool them down (carefully) and soak the separated lens elements in acetone. This should remove the balm from the lens surfaces and then you can attempt re-cementing them with a modern UV curing optical cement.

Warning
: I do not recommend anyone attempt the following high risk technique: It is also possible to use cryogenic cooling to separate lens elements with liquid nitrogen, which causes the Canada balsam to become extremely brittle** - brittle enough that it is possible to shatter the cement between the elements with a quick tap, right at the point of interface with a finely honed blade, after separation the balm simply flakes off.

* the diameter and thickness of the elements have a profound effect on the amount of time needed, this is just a standard recommendation.
**the glass is still significantly stronger then the frozen basalm, but extreme care should be taken when handling glass at these temperatures.
Thanks for the information, Digitalis. Very helpful. I should have been more specific about the shared properties of balsam and glass being optical, not physical as you point out. My habit has been to heat only the bonded area (usually a retaining ring or collar) with a heat gun rated at 1200 watts maximum but set at a low-medium range. Total heating time is under 4 minutes. Leather gloves protect the hands and give a good grip.

Since you've raised the possibility of softening the bond through 'slow cooking', I now wonder about people who leave lenses in their cars on hot summer days. It must happen somewhere that a lens is left in a vehicle with the windows up on a hot sunny day for possibly several hours where temperatures could range from 130F to nearly 200F. Presumably the fit between glass components is tight enough that even if the balsam were completely liquified it wouldn't drain away. Still, not a very good idea.

I love the notion of cryogenic cooling, but will respect your warning and leave that to more adventurous souls.
01-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Does anyone have any actual experience with separating the elements of a cemented doublet? I have fungus remnants too in a lens that I would like to get rid of.
01-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Does anyone have any actual experience with separating the elements of a cemented doublet?
If you read my post #20, I have already given instructions for doing this.

01-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Thermal separation (heat or cold) of a balsam-cemented doublet is an incredibly foolish thing to do, since differential expansion can lead to fracturing
If the process is temperature controlled well enough the expansion will be gradual, rather than sudden. I admit the cryogenic method I employed was needlessly hazardous to myself and the lens in question, but it was a fun experiment.

Even good-sizwd doublets cemented with natural balsam can be easily separated by a 15 minute soak in methyl ethyl ketone, followed by a wipe with the same solvent and kimwipe to remove leftover residue.
methyl ethyl ketone which is better known as butanone is a highly flammable skin and respiratory irritant with mild explosive properties, it has been known to strip coatings off lenses.
01-13-2016, 03:48 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MEK is a preferred cleaning agent for high precision coated optical glass in laboratory environments, for which coating integrity is a far more critical concern than on a mere photography lens.
The coatings used in labs are different from common optical AR coatings, they are commonly highly efficient coatings tuned to specific wavelengths rather than the inefficient wide spectrum coatings on commercial lenses. Also I highly doubt any serious lab technician would be soaking optics in Butanone for quarter of an hour when there are safer solvents easily within reach. And in any case Butanone has basically no effect on fungal/bacterial spores, the only way to eradicate them would be though the use of an Autoclave which is a critical piece of equipment in any laboratory.

glass is not crystalline at all, as you contended earlier in this thread, but rather an amorphous solid, which is defined by being non-crystalline in structure.
I said largely crystalline - not completely. The Structure of glass depends on its chemical composition: glass with a high lanthanum content the structure is highly amorphous, however glass with a high zirconium content will have a more rigid near-crystalline ordered structure. Lenses made of Fluorite and Quartz most definitely have a crystalline structure.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-13-2016 at 03:54 AM.