Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
Oh, how about color space do I use sRGB or AdobeRGB
Since you are shooting in a RAW format, it (mostly) doesn't matter - you can select another color space later. I use sRGB simply because I don't want underscores in file names. Lightroom uses its own color space until export. Adobe Camera RAW allows you to switch color spaces.

You might have a use for the color space setting because it's applied to the preview image that the camera uses. So if you zoom into the preview a lot and examine it critically, maybe using similar settings that you'll use in processing are useful.

11-25-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
Oh, how about color space do I use sRGB or AdobeRGB
This depends on what your target for your image. If you are only displaying on a monitor then definitely sRGB. Most monitors cover 99% of the sRGB and 70-something % of Adobe color spaces. Higher end monitors can reach 90+% of the Adobe color space. If you are making prints then you should ask your lab what color space they operate in. I'm going to wager that most will be working in sRGB and only a few work in Adobe. The lab tech, if they know what they are doing, will convert whatever color space you give them into whatever they work in. However, if you know what they work in then you can target your files for that space.
11-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Or is it the case that, so long as a particular DNG file conforms to the standards outlined by Adobe, the file *will* unequivocally process correctly through DNG-capable software (assuming the software concerned embraces the entire DNG standard... if one exists LOL)?
Yes, that is my understanding as well. As near as I can tell, DNG is intended to provide "common currency" integration between Adobe products with the specification being offered to hardware vendors as a means of insuring easier integration to Adobe tools. Never mind that full feature support may still take awhile.* Other software vendors are at a disadvantage because they have to integrate DNG into their tools with only slightly less pain than the proprietary files from camera makers.

Steve

* A fair (not good example) would be K-3II pixel shift and HDR. Adobe has only recently supported pixel shift and may never support the in-camera HDR. It would help if the DNG files for those features were fully compliant, but that is another story.
11-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In reference to color space, I like the tutorial on the Cambridge in Color Web site:

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-management1.htm

Steve

12-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Adobe RGB 1998 for print, sRGB for the web.