Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Can Both Memory cards in K3II be set to Raw?

Can both memory Cards be set to Raw in a K3II? If it can how do you do it, if not why and what is the reason? Thanks

11-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just set the file format to raw (and not raw+) - at least that's how it's done on the k3.... (And make sure the memory card option is not raw/JPEG)
11-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
Can both memory Cards be set to Raw in a K3II? If it can how do you do it, if not why and what is the reason? Thanks
You can. Just set the file format to raw at the SD card mode (i.e. via the control panel) to duplicate files.

The K-3 does not support simultaneous file storage, so doing this will double the amount of time it takes the camera to save files. It will also decrease your FPS/burst length and slightly increase the time before you can access playback.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep.

In Menu>Camera-1>Memory Card Options>Set single or both cards then In INFO>set your file format to RAW. You also need to set the RAW file format (either PEF or DNG)

I believe this behavior is the default, unless you are shooting RAW+

11-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I am totally confused. I got the first setting for Raw! Then the second setting I have 1&2 set for Raw DNG and the third one is RAW for #1 and JPG for #2. Someone please take the time to tell me the benefit of having two memory cards? Also, why does the second setting save to both 1 & 2 at the same time? All I would like is to use the second memory card after the first one is full so as to increase the amount of total photo I could take and I like to do my photos in RAW!
11-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a third option right? The single arrow? That will fill up the first card with raw, and then silently switch to the second when full.
11-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
There is a third option right? The single arrow? That will fill up the first card with raw, and then silently switch to the second when full.
Thank you so much robthebloke, I was hoping that was the case but just could not find that in my reading. Thank you again, alright, this is cool!

11-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ll I would like is to use the second memory card after the first one is full so as to increase the amount of total photo I could take and I like to do my photos in RAW!
You have three choices:
1) Sequential: writes to card 1 until it is full and then writes to card 2. Can be RAW or jpeg.
2) Both cards: writes to both cards, can be RAW or Jpeg but both cards get the same. This is useful for things like wedding work where having a card fail is unthinkable. So having them mirrored gives you an instant backup.
3) RAW+ : one card gets the RAW file, the other gets a jpeg. This is used if you need the jpegs to view quickly or for instant upload like news reporting, but still want the RAW for further development.
11-28-2015, 01:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Someone please take the time to tell me the benefit of having two memory cards? Also, why does the second setting save to both 1 & 2 at the same time?
It's for safety/backup. Well let's say you have been hired to shoot a wedding. It's a wonderful day, you shoot lots of great photos. At the end of the day you put the card in your computer and find out that something is terribly wrong with the card and all the photos are either gone or useless. I think the newly married couple wouldn't be to happy about the fact that there are no photos of their special day in life.

All memory cards, even the good ones like i.e. Sandisk can fail. And losing photos of an unique event that can not be repeated is probably the worst nightmare of every photographer.

Last edited by alpheios; 11-28-2015 at 02:46 AM.
11-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the excellent comments matrix and alpheios, very good info and thoughts. If I had had a back up card in my camera the other day I would not have miss about 50 shoots that were the main ones I wanted. I would like to thank all on this forum who have made and effort to answer my questions and give me good and wise advice. Thank you so much

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You have three choices:
1) Sequential: writes to card 1 until it is full and then writes to card 2. Can be RAW or jpeg.
2) Both cards: writes to both cards, can be RAW or Jpeg but both cards get the same. This is useful for things like wedding work where having a card fail is unthinkable. So having them mirrored gives you an instant backup.
3) RAW+ : one card gets the RAW file, the other gets a jpeg. This is used if you need the jpegs to view quickly or for instant upload like news reporting, but still want the RAW for further development.
This is so clear and very good into jatrax, thanks

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 10:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
It's for safety/backup. Well let's say you have been hired to shoot a wedding. It's a wonderful day, you shoot lots of great photos. At the end of the day you put the card in your computer and find out that something is terribly wrong with the card and all the photos are either gone or useless. I think the newly married couple wouldn't be to happy about the fact that there are no photos of their special day in life.

All memory cards, even the good ones like i.e. Sandisk can fail. And losing photos of an unique event that can not be repeated is probably the worst nightmare of every photographer.
I love the wisdom of your comments and you are so right. I do a lot of landscape for my city and various other event shoots and your comments will save me a world of hurt, thank you alpheios