Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geotux Quote
Now this is what I don't understand from your post. What I have asked myself is what difference is there with having camera on "M", lense on "A" and then using the wheel to select aperture and leaving camera on "M", selecting a setting for apearture on the lense ring and then pressing the green button. From what I see, the only difference is that you do not need to set the shutter speed with the front wheel when not using the "A" on the lense. Anything else I'm missing?
The camera can't do matrix metering when it can't control the aperture. If you watch it carefully, the metering mode sneaks into center-weighted when you move the aperture ring off the A position. Related to that, it can't do P-TTL flash either. An onboard flash or shoe-mounted flash set to P-TTL will fire at full power. It won't record an aperture in the metadata. And of course all the other exposure modes ignore the aperture ring setting and shoot wide open.

12-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geotux Quote
Right, this is what I have tried on my K3:
a) When on M mode, have aperture ring set and lense on "A" mode, then I can use the back wheel to set the f value.

b) When on M mode, have aperture ring set and lense on any value except "A", I get F-- on the screen but when I press the green button, the finder goes black a tiny bit and the shutter speed gets set to a specfic value (but the screen still shows F--). If i change the f value on the lense by turning the ring and press the green button again, the shutter speed changes. I assume that this means that there is metering going on. I assume this means that the mirror is raise so that the light corresponding to the aperture can hit the sensor to obtain metering (this is what is meant by "stops down the lens temporarily"?)?

c) The behaviour I describe in b above does not occur on any other camera setting other than "M" mode, even when I put the lense on "A". THe green button seems to have no effect at all unless the camera setting is on "M".

Now this is what I don't understand from your post. What I have asked myself is what difference is there with having camera on "M", lense on "A" and then using the wheel to select aperture and leaving camera on "M", selecting a setting for apearture on the lense ring and then pressing the green button. From what I see, the only difference is that you do not need to set the shutter speed with the front wheel when not using the "A" on the lense. Anything else I'm missing?

a) Yes, but you're not restricted to M mode with this lens.

b) The finder goes dark because the camera is stopping down the lens, i.e. constricting the iris to the aperture you have set with the lens. (The mirror isn't raised for this.) With the lens stopped down, the camera takes a meter reading and adjusts shutter speed accordingly. The screen shows F-- because when you take the lens out of the "A" setting, the camera has no way of knowing what aperture you've selected.

c) With the lens set to "A", you should be able to use all exposure modes except, I think, Green Mode. Note that the e-dials are programmable for the different exposure modes. The Green Button is also customizable. With the camera in something other than Green Mode, check the menu settings for E-dial programming and Button customization.

Give Av mode a try. You set the aperture using the e-dial, and the camera automatically selects the shutter speed. You don't need the extra step of pressing the Green Button.