Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #16

For a newby like me Im more than happy with my k3 the handling is the best so far. I handle different canon and Nikon before deciding and definitely love the k3

11-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A few months ago I was almost in the same boat you are in, the only difference is that I already had/have a Nikon system (Nikon D90, Nikon D3100, plus various lenses and flashes) and was looking for another body since I wanted an upgrade to my Nikon D90. You might say I was a loyal Nikon fan all the way and why not? My D90 has served me very well for many years and so has my D3100 (actually I gave it to my daughter and she still continues to use it).

Being a Nikon user, I spent a couple of months doing online research and reading up on the D7100. All this time I had not even bothered to take into consideration cameras from other manufacturers (Yes I was that loyal to Nikon); the D7200 had just been launched but I had decided not to consider it since it was a new model and I felt it had not been on the market long enough for me to make a conscious buying decision.

The more I investigated the more aware I became that this was not the same Nikon Company that it was back when I bought my D90, first they had problems with the Nikon D600, then they had problems with the D7000, then more problems with the D7100.

I work in the IT area and I know very well that sometimes companies can and will have problems with new products thus I’m not putting down Nikon for that, but when that company does not want to acknowledge that their products have problems then that is another story altogether (Nikon D600 is the best example of this) and that is what really made me start to look elsewhere since I was not ready to spend US$ 900.00 on a camera and them have to cross my fingers and pray to God that my new camera has no problems. Please take into account that I live outside the USA and having to return a product to the US under warranty can be very expensive and time consuming.

You mention the banding problem with the D7100 but besides the banding problem there is the other issue you forgot to mention, the oil spots on the sensor. While the banding issue can be controlled by not using extreme settings on the camera, the oil spots in the sensor cannot; I mean if you don’t mind cleaning your camera sensor every few weeks then this is not a problem but I was not willing to do it, especially since that is one of the most delicate parts of the camera and if you don’t do it correctly you can damage it.

In the end, I ended up buying the Pentax K3 and to this day I have no regrets, quite the opposite, the more I use my K3, the more I love it. I can even say that because of my K3 I feel I have become a much better photographer since mistakes are not easily forgiven when using this camera and you need to be aware of your techniques every time you use it.

You mentioned about how good is the K3 in low light? A few weeks ago I took some night time photographs of a park that is situated across the street from my house, no biggie huh…the only problem was that all the lights in the park where off and there was no illumination. The K3 was able to focus consistently under these conditions, I took these pictures so that I could post them on our country’s Park Department website so they could acknowledge the problem and solve it. All I know is that not many cameras on the market could have focused under such conditions, yet my K3 did so consistently and without breaking a sweat.

Finally, one other thing that helped me decide on jumping on the Pentax bandwagon is this website, this place is like no other, the people in here are always willing to lend you a hand and help in any way they can. I have met some marvelous people and made some great friends on the few months I have been on this website.

If you wish a camera that you, as a photographer, can grow into and if you take photography seriously, then I can recommend the K3 without any reservations. BTW, my wife wants to get into this hobby as well and her Xmas gift is going to be a K50 .

On a side note, on all my shoots I take both my Nikon and Pentax cameras and I still love to use my D90, but when I can only take one camera then its Pentax all the way.

Hope my post is of some help to you and best of luck on your desicion.

Regards !!!

Last edited by MasMax; 11-29-2015 at 01:19 PM.
11-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

Yet Pentax has had issues with oil spots on sensors (K-5), flappy shutter (K-5 and K-3), and won't turn off (K-3II). So QC is an issue across the board it seems.

However, Nikon has 4 or 5 repair facilities in the US from which to chose while Pentax only has 1 and that one is really awful (Precision). IF you check on the Nikon forums, even they say avoid Precision. And, in our situation, we can't since they are the only one with parts.

If you treat the camera like a throw away device or warranty with a 3rd party then maybe it isn't as bad should you need repair/replacement services. But that should be researched too (support) in buying into a system.

Perhaps the lower initial cost of Pentax gear makes up for the lousy repair services versus other camera systems? Also, resale is generally much lower here than elsewhere. You are buying a 'domestic' here versus a more revered 'Japanese' car elsewhere.

Last edited by mee; 11-29-2015 at 08:18 AM.
11-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I can say that I haven't had any problems with any of my Pentax cameras or lenses. Not even the da* 16-50. It does take a few minutes to "warm up" for autofocus to work. It's a known issue with a capacitor not holding enough residual charge. Might it fail completely at some point? Sure. But it hasn't yet. The SDM motor though hasn't made any squeaky or clunky noises.

11-29-2015, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, so much negativity. So, first, I really appreciate the experiences of those who have used both.... you should to. There some folks here repeating stuff they've read. That's sad. Anyone can read and make their own decisions.

QuoteQuote:
I played around with an old Canon rebel but I would like to buy a camera that would last me awhile and provide me with good IQ, good AF (not shooting sports necessarily but would hate to miss shots) and usable images in low light.
Don't listen to the guys above...a D7100 and K-3 have been tested in labs, they are practically identical in AF. The K-3 has better initial focus, the 7100 has slightly better tracking. The K-3 can focus in light about 2 stops less than what a D7100 can focus in. I mean the D7100 literally cannot lock focus with it's focus assist light, while the K-3 focusses without assistance. Ignore the above poster, they know not of what they speak.

QuoteQuote:
I shoot primary candid photography (street photography, portraits on the fly) but would like the option to shoot wide for travelling (landscapes and monuments/temples etc...). Portability is also a major factor (for example I like shooting portraits but I'm unsure if I would buy a prime solely for that use). I would only shoot handheld.
The lens for that is the 21 ltd.

QuoteQuote:
The Nikon prime is more expensive but provides a wider aperture which would be great for night shooting and the Pentax DA 35mm 2.4 is a bit slow in that aspect.
The reason the Pentax is slow, is because Pentax makes slow but very portable lenses.
The Nikon 1.8 is 200 grams. (next to nothing).
The Pentax is 124 gms, (2/3s of next to nothing)

I know a bunch of folks are going to say the Pentax is too slow, but it's 2/3 of stop, not even a full stop. I always say, if you can't fake a stop, you aren't a photographer. This falls well short of that kind of difference. Now ƒ4 to ƒ1.8, that's a difference.

What you can see there is the whole Pentax design philosophy. Stay away from really fast glass, find that optimal size where performance is guaranteed, but before weight begins to set it. Pentax does have the very expensive 31 ltd 1.8, which sounds like it's the lens you want, and it's well beyond anything you'll find in a Nikon and considered by some to be one of the best 3 lenses of all time.

QuoteQuote:
For a walk around lens I was looking at either the Sigma 17-50 or the Tamron 18-50 for the Nikon and the Pentax 18-135 or Tamron 17-50 (if I can find it used) for the Pentax.
Another of the Pentax design philosophy for older Pentax glass, was extremely sharp centres, softer edges. This is a design born of the common " I want to take pictures of the people I live with" approach to photography. "Photography the way people take pictures, not for the test charts" is the way Pentax put it. Reading through this thread, it's amazing to see that not even one of the posters above, even seems to know what the Pentax philosophy was. Even 8 years ago, this motto was repeated to me by a Pentax rep at a trade show. Everyone wants to compare images on test charts. No one wants to just compare the images they take....anyway, enough digression.

The 18-135 is a great landscape lens from 18-50mm, and a great portrait lens, from 50-135 as well as a workable pseudo macro lens. As far as I'm concerned, it's probably the best walk around lens, ever. I own the Tamron 17-50. It's not a walk around lens, it's too short.I wouldn't recommend any of the 18-200-300 type lenses either, too much loss in resolution. The Pentax 18-135 provides the optimal compromise with a 7.5:1 zoom ratio. GO over that you lose IQ, go under, you lose range. And these days it can be had for a song. That being said, don't take advice on this lens from people who don't use this lens. If fit suits your style, you'll love it. My wife on the other hand doesn't like it. She'd rather shoot with her Tammy 17-50, and tamron 90 for length. If she needs longer she use the 1.4 or 1.7 TC on the Tammy. She clearly doesn't mind fiddling with lenses. I prefer a more "available" approach. Don't let the nay sayers hold you back when considering this lens.

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax lens has a longer reach but is apparently soft at the edges and the IQ is only deemed "satisfactory".
That's over simplification. The 18-135 is rated excellent in the centre everywhere in it's range. Edges are weak in the longer FLs. It's probably the best Pentax lens ever made at 24mm. You won't find another zoom, 7.5:1 or higher that is excellent in such a high percentage of its range. So, it's either the best lens of it's type you ever used, if your subject is in the centre, or the worst if you value edge to edge performance above 50mm.

Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

My 18-135 images here.

18-135 is a pseudo macro (notice how little the soft edges are not noticeable and imagine a person who would give up those sharp centres, to get a not as sharp centre but better edge to edge. I know those people exist, I just don't want to be one. And yet 90% of the people on this site recommend that, but it's not the Pentax way. Mind you the 18-135 was probably the last lens designed with the old philosophy. There isn't going to be another lens as good as it is for what it does. Either buy this lens or go another direction. Modern Pentax is starting to look very "me too." They used to present an alternative design approach, these days, not so much. But they are still making the best glass designed by the old design team, so you can still benefit from their work for years to come.

QuoteQuote:
I'm concerned about the banding issue with the D7100 and the AF issue with the K3.
What AF issue? If you're talking about a D4s, a D750 or any other camera that costs 3 times as much or more, then there's an AF issue. If you're talking D7100 or D7200, you've been mis-informed.

Also ignore the frame rate nonsense posted above. Turn off tracking, which is in most cases un-needed, and you get the advertised frame rate. I use it all the time and it's awesome.

I assume because you asked here, you wanted someone to present the 'Pentax mindset." I apologize for all the Nikon wannabes who jumped in.

Last edited by normhead; 11-29-2015 at 10:18 AM.
11-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yet Pentax has had issues with oil spots on sensors (K-5), flappy shutter (K-5 and K-3), and won't turn off (K-3II). So QC is an issue across the board it seems.

However, Nikon has 4 or 5 repair facilities in the US from which to chose while Pentax only has 1 and that one is really awful (Precision). IF you check on the Nikon forums, even they say avoid Precision. And, in our situation, we can't since they are the only one with parts.

If you treat the camera like a throw away device or warranty with a 3rd party then maybe it isn't as bad should you need repair/replacement services. But that should be researched too (support) in buying into a system.

Perhaps the lower initial cost of Pentax gear makes up for the lousy repair services versus other camera systems? Also, resale is generally much lower here than elsewhere. You are buying a 'domestic' here versus a more revered 'Japanese' car elsewhere.
While what you say is true and as I stated on my post, any manufacturer, at sometime or another, can have QC issues with new products; the main problem with Nikon is that they don't admit to having any problems with their cameras and to me that is something that weighed heavily on my decision to jump ship.

On a personal note, this article from 2013 sums it up very nicely...to me at least :

https://photographylife.com/nikon-quality-assurance-and-marketing-gone-wrong

Last edited by MasMax; 11-29-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Problems with the link
11-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Normhead,You're right. PENTAX IS GREAT !!
about AF (personal experience): I take good results also with my k5+Da17-70+AFS of my son during mountain bike races (where I need a lot of DR, spot metering, high Iso, consistent AF, WR lenses sometimes ) Pentax delivers all that and a lot more.... And I take with myself that combo everyday, everywhere. I'd preferred k5 over Nikon d7000 (me coming from Canon). I've found a consistent tool.

11-29-2015, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps the lower initial cost of Pentax gear makes up for the lousy repair services versus other camera systems?
I've had great service from Pentax. I've owned over 30 pieces of Pentax equipment, in the last 10 years, and had few repairs , so the repair experience is pretty much a wash. It could happen, but there's no guaranteeing it will happen. Pentax has the best reliability numbers in the industry. ( According to Lens Rentals). So yes, there's more Nikon repair facilities, but they sell so many more cameras they need more. And their reliability numbers being what they are, they need them even more. SO do you want a repair facility, or do you want something that doesn't fail in the first place?

I'm going with no repairs in the first place.

My most recent encounter when I needed a small part here in Canada, was resolved in less than a week. IN Canada the repair guy is also an authorized Canon warranty shop, so it's hard to imagine you can trash them without trashing Canon.

Similarly, I don't know how you can trash precision, say that Nikon people say stay away from them, without providing a reference, and expect us to believe you. Was it one person's opinion, is it a consensus of all Nikon users?

I swear, a lot of these dude work for Nikon or are Nikon fanboys. What do I hear from my D800 D810 buddies? A hell of a lot of complaining and effort trying to control camera shake when shooting in the field. So I have two realities. One, the guys next to me shooting, and two the trolls on this forum. The two realities couldn't be any different. One of my Nikon guys paid me over grand to take him to some prime shooting locations in the park, then had his D800 die on him 4 days in. He had to borrow the Point and Shoot he'd leant his daughter, to get any images at all. I have never in 50 years of Pentax use, had a Pentax camera die once in the field. I don't usually mention these kinds of stories because they are one offs and don't mean much, but there seems to be an anti- Pentax crowd who dwell on this type of anecdote if it's negative about Pentax, and just dwell on it and keep it alive for months.

Why am I the only one who seems to know these things?
If you claim to be a Pentax user and have any experience at all and can't tell one story that tells other why you shoot Pentax, instead of Canon or Nikon, you are just a Canikon stooge. Go buy your Canikon Camera, and quit trolling the Pentax forums. You aren't helping anyone with your negativity. If anything, your spreading your delusions.

Is it cool to come on a Pentax forum, where some one is asking why they should buy Pentax, and tell them why they shouldn't? Is it you're trying to be cool? What is it? Why not let the guys on the Nikon forum tell him why he should buy Nikon?

If you're trying to convince me you know a damn thing about what you're talking about, you're doing the opposite.

Last edited by normhead; 11-29-2015 at 11:06 AM.
11-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Now i cant comment on the nikon side of things but i can about the k3. Ive had it for a little while now, and can say that it has been an awesome camera. No issue with the af that i can recall, its been able to take photos in low light, and its built like a tank. One evening when i was taking a photos on a tripod on a windy day, i made a mistake to let go of the camera/tripod as i was reaching for some weights to add. Next thing i know my camera took a dive and landed on the dirt. I thought i damaged the camera and lens, but after checking it out the only damage was done was a few scratches.
11-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the high number of response.
Sorry it had to turn a bit sour by moments but I guess it's understandable that people are passionate about their cameras.

I didn't expect a lot of support for my Nikon choice on a Pentax forum and yet some people decided to recommend it. I don't think they're necessarily Nikon "fanboys" but speak from their personal experience.

Nevertheless I wanted to thank you all for your informed opinion and taking the time to respond to my wall of the text. The jury is still out on either system but I'm going to take a closer look to the recommended lenses and their Nikon counterpart. Thanks for sharing some of your wisdom on the Pentax philosophy/experience.

I enjoy spending hours on this forum and honestly didn't find a good Nikon counterpart. Looking forward to spending many more.
11-29-2015, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Your welcome. you got questions, we got answers.
11-29-2015, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Availablelite Quote
Sorry it had to turn a bit sour by moments but I guess it's understandable that people are passionate about their cameras.

I didn't expect a lot of support for my Nikon choice on a Pentax forum and yet some people decided to recommend it. I don't think they're necessarily Nikon "fanboys" but speak from their personal experience.

Nevertheless I wanted to thank you all for your informed opinion and taking the time to respond to my wall of the text. The jury is still out on either system but I'm going to take a closer look to the recommended lenses and their Nikon counterpart. Thanks for sharing some of your wisdom on the Pentax philosophy/experience.

I enjoy spending hours on this forum and honestly didn't find a good Nikon counterpart. Looking forward to spending many more.
Anyone on a forum with over 16,000 posts for over 8 years is obviously passionate, committed, and loyal to the Pentax system. I've been shooting both Pentax and Nikons for over 30 years and wish one was clearly better than the other for everything. Every manufacturer, if they are going to survive, needs to find a niche, and because my own photography doesn't perfectly fit one niche, I shoot with two systems, and use one depending on my goals.

One reason I value this forum is because there is a diversity of opinions and it is important that members feel they can share both negative and positive experiences or perceptions. As Ralph Nader once said, "Your best teacher is your last mistake."
11-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Availablelite Quote

I hope you find a camera that will suit your needs.

At a recent photography course I attended there were a few Nikons (one FF), a couple of Canons and me with a K-3. All the cameras took excellent photos. Basically no-one at the course had come across Pentax DSLR before and all, including the teacher, were very impressed indeed with my K-3's features, usability and photos. Generally they were excellent straight out of camera, while the others seemed to need a bit more pp. We were all shooting RAW with reasonably advanced cameras.

The FF sort of made me wish Pentax had one...and soon we will....but there wasn't one camera there (inc the FF) I would have swapped my K-3 for, even though it was far from the most expensive camera in the pack. I just love it's intuitive layout and menus and its more compact size, as well as its images.

There was no rivalry, no put downs - just enjoyment of our photography and genuine interest in the images we could get our respective cameras to produce.

I am sure your eventual purchase, which ever you decide on, will bring you the same pleasure!
11-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
considered by some to be one of the best 3 lenses of all time.
People who consider the FA 43 and FA 77 as the other two
11-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #30
Forum Member

Don't listen to the guys above
I assume because you asked here, you wanted someone to present the 'Pentax mindset." I apologize for all the Nikon wannabes who jumped in.
With all due respect, where you referring to me and my posts?