Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #31
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've had great service from Pentax. I've owned over 30 pieces of Pentax equipment, in the last 10 years, and had few repairs , so the repair experience is pretty much a wash. It could happen, but there's no guaranteeing it will happen. Pentax has the best reliability numbers in the industry. ( According to Lens Rentals). So yes, there's more Nikon repair facilities, but they sell so many more cameras they need more. And their reliability numbers being what they are, they need them even more. SO do you want a repair facility, or do you want something that doesn't fail in the first place?

I'm going with no repairs in the first place.

My most recent encounter when I needed a small part here in Canada, was resolved in less than a week. IN Canada the repair guy is also an authorized Canon warranty shop, so it's hard to imagine you can trash them without trashing Canon.

Similarly, I don't know how you can trash precision, say that Nikon people say stay away from them, without providing a reference, and expect us to believe you. Was it one person's opinion, is it a consensus of all Nikon users?

I swear, a lot of these dude work for Nikon or are Nikon fanboys. What do I hear from my D800 D810 buddies? A hell of a lot of complaining and effort trying to control camera shake when shooting in the field. So I have two realities. One, the guys next to me shooting, and two the trolls on this forum. The two realities couldn't be any different. One of my Nikon guys paid me over grand to take him to some prime shooting locations in the park, then had his D800 die on him 4 days in. He had to borrow the Point and Shoot he'd leant his daughter, to get any images at all. I have never in 50 years of Pentax use, had a Pentax camera die once in the field. I don't usually mention these kinds of stories because they are one offs and don't mean much, but there seems to be an anti- Pentax crowd who dwell on this type of anecdote if it's negative about Pentax, and just dwell on it and keep it alive for months.

Why am I the only one who seems to know these things?
If you claim to be a Pentax user and have any experience at all and can't tell one story that tells other why you shoot Pentax, instead of Canon or Nikon, you are just a Canikon stooge. Go buy your Canikon Camera, and quit trolling the Pentax forums. You aren't helping anyone with your negativity. If anything, your spreading your delusions.

Is it cool to come on a Pentax forum, where some one is asking why they should buy Pentax, and tell them why they shouldn't? Is it you're trying to be cool? What is it? Why not let the guys on the Nikon forum tell him why he should buy Nikon?

If you're trying to convince me you know a damn thing about what you're talking about, you're doing the opposite.
It is sad you would take this approach with me. Especially since I've been here for 5 years posting daily. I take an objective approach to these cameras. And, if you would take off the blinders, you would see Pentax has some issues. Being a Canadian, I'm surprised you can use an American repair facility. Ironically, you didn't provide any proof either of your cases. Where is your documented proof of Precision repairing your gear on time, on budget, and properly? Why should anyone believe you either?

Seriously, if you cannot come to an understanding, weigh facts, and arguments both for and against something objectively then why are you even here spouting off? No brand is perfect and to hide Pentax's flaws is both inaccurate and dishonest on your part.

In general, you should probably opt not to comment if you cannot keep your emotions in check.. which you obviously did not when typing the above.

Since you, in so many rude words, asked for proof of my claims.. here you go:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/302171-why-penta...r-service.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/304037-disgusted...ra-repair.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/301480-n...on-camera.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/306846-16-5...ml#post3415816

Precision Camera - Photography Stores & Services - 4 Annginna Dr - Enfield, CT - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Re: Steer clear of Precision Camera repair!: Sony Alpha SLR/SLT A-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Ongoing saga with Precision Camera Repair: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Steer clear of Precision Camera repair!: Sony Alpha SLR/SLT A-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
That was fairly fast - just got my Recall D5000 back....but: Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7100) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

11-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
With all due respect, where you referring to me and my posts?
I was referring to all the people who posted mis-information, or partial information. Whether that was you or not, I really don't keep track and don't care.
11-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was referring to all the people who posted mis-information, or partial information. Whether that was you or not, I really don't keep track and don't care.
Hmm. Seems you made someone feel butt-hurt.
11-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Hmm. Seems you made someone feel butt-hurt.
Awe, my apologies to any of the undeserving who may have felt "butt-hurt".

11-29-2015, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awe, my apologies to any of the undeserving who may have felt "butt-hurt".
Your disingenuous apology and hypocrisy duly noted. I, for one, do keep track (to better judge the source) and do care. It's not about "feelings"; it's about unproductive noise.
11-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #36
Pentaxian

People who consider the FA 43 and FA 77 as the other two
Well , there was a long story on one of the sites from a guy who knew the whole story behind the 31 ltd. which was apparently a test co-operation between Pentax and another company either Zeiss or Contax, or one of the really high end lens designers. IN the end the 31 was the only lens produced and the co-operation ended, but the 31 ended up being way up on the ladder for desirable lenses, to the point that it was a reason to buy Pentax gear. The other two were not Pentax lenses, and may well have been Zeiss designs. It was a while ago I read it, so the particulars escape me. But, not the 43 and 77, although the 77 has it's own story as one of Jun Hirakawa's designs, designed because 77 is a lucky number in Japan, and saying "designed for the way people take pictures, not for the test charts" right in the patent.
11-30-2015, 03:41 AM   #37
Forum Member

While I admire your knowledge and up to a point, envy, your knowledge of Pentax; unfortunately can't say the same for your respect and education towards others, but hey...to each his own.

Last edited by MasMax; 11-30-2015 at 03:51 AM.
11-30-2015, 06:03 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Did I ask for your opinion, or are you just offering out of kindness?

You want my respect earn it. (Lots of people have.) Don't say dumb s#!t.

I wasn't referring to your post, your post was informed and helpful.

The other guy who has gone all over the net finding stories about how bad precision camera is, I wasted my time checking his "proof" which was a bunch of losers whining crying like babies because their equipment failed. The same people I deal with here from time to time. But the people here have their own stories to tell. This guy had to mine the net looking for negative comments...really who does that. Apparently he put his good name on the line vouching for one party in a dispute and at least in my books came up looking like an idiot. The time I spent looking at his "proof" I will never get back. You only do that to me once.That tends to put one in a bad mood. Durning the SDM stuff there was a few people who just wouldn't shut up. But this is the first time I've had to deal with someone who basically was citing as proof the stories posted by people who seemed to be totally incompetent.

The first guy Iread said he had a wedding to shoot and his flash broke. And he was on Percision's case about not being nice on the phone. With all due respect, a pro without back up equipment isn't worth listening too, A pro who can't go rent a flash if his is off for repairs, I'd be warning his customers that he's a total loser if I had a clue who he was, But hey, it's the internet, we have the right to be an idiot on line and hide behind some false identity.

I hate it when people cite public one sided internet disputes with a company on line as proof of that company's incompetence. Usually, it just ends up being proof, they have unrealistic expectations.

And if you don't tell these people what you think, they never shut up.

I end up laughing my ass off, he's telling people they shouldn't buy from Pentax because of precision camera, but he still uses pentax gear. "put your money where your mouth is and sell your Pentax gear before you post that." is all I have to say to that. Then I'll respect you. Shooting pentax and telling others why they shouldn't. That's just flat out hypocrisy. Go find the better way. You deserve it. We deserve it.

Last edited by normhead; 11-30-2015 at 06:30 AM.
11-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #39
Pentaxian

It is. Nikon claims weather resistance equivalent to the D800 or D300S. It even has magnesium alloy for the top and rear covers. But you still need to use a sealed lens $$$.
Having had a D7000 for a couple months and handled the D7100 (not very different) I can say the level of WR isn't even close.

Others have found the same: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/253017-pentax-k3...kon-d7100.html

If I may be honest, having handled a D7000 again recently, I think my K-r is better built than that camera (I'm talking about build quality, I know the k-r is not WR). The D7100 I haven't handled recently, but from memory it's about on par with my K-r.

Finally, Nikon is very vague with their WR comments. They won't tell you the level of WR in their products. They even say the DX 35 1.8 lens is WR. I would have *never* poured water on that thing.

This is WR:

And you did reaise a good point. Even though Nikon will tell you a lot of their lenses are WR (yet you can't see any seals...) the ones that are *truly* WR will be the full frame lenses (after all, the D4/D4s is the *proper* WR camera they have). And there's no way the OP will be able to get a camera and one of those lenses for his 1,000 dollar budget.
12-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Having had a D7000 for a couple months and handled the D7100 (not very different) I can say the level of WR isn't even close.

Others have found the same: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/253017-pentax-k3...kon-d7100.html

If I may be honest, having handled a D7000 again recently, I think my K-r is better built than that camera (I'm talking about build quality, I know the k-r is not WR). The D7100 I haven't handled recently, but from memory it's about on par with my K-r.

Finally, Nikon is very vague with their WR comments. They won't tell you the level of WR in their products. They even say the DX 35 1.8 lens is WR. I would have *never* poured water on that thing.

This is WR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-RAzBjakk

And you did reaise a good point. Even though Nikon will tell you a lot of their lenses are WR (yet you can't see any seals...) the ones that are *truly* WR will be the full frame lenses (after all, the D4/D4s is the *proper* WR camera they have). And there's no way the OP will be able to get a camera and one of those lenses for his 1,000 dollar budget.
Good of you to get back on point. This thread has taken a wrong turn. That's unfortunate.