Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Almost ready to throw my Q in the brink!

Help! I just got my Q and cannot figure out why half my pictures are not in focus. I took these pix consecutively sometimes the in focus picture is taken first, and then it devolves into fuzzy - so unpredictably I get a good picture, and other times it's blurry. And just when I'm about to take a group picture of my friends, I can't depress the shutter release. Also, when outside in sun, I can see what I'm taking a picture of mostly when the camera is in landscape position, however when I switch to portrait the display goes black and I can't see what I'm about to photograph. Anyone have these problems? I've attached some examples. Maybe there is something defective in my camera? Or is it me!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
11-29-2015, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus: I have a similar problem on certain shots with Q. The focus area is quite large and the camera sometimes selects the wrong feature of the composition to focus on - usually one with higher contrast than what I want in focus. Often I can't tell from the LCD unless I zoom to 4x with the OK button. Then I manual focus with Focus Peaking. You might also increase DoF.

Release: You might need to change Focus Priority to Release Priority.

Portrait mode: You might need to enable Auto Image Rotation (LCD setting).
11-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ratfancy Quote
Also, when outside in sun, I can see what I'm taking a picture of mostly when the camera is in landscape position, however when I switch to portrait the display goes black and I can't see what I'm about to photograph.
Sounds like you are wearing a pair of polarizing sun glasses.
11-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where is your focus point? Is it set to Auto? When using the Auto mode the camera tries to guess what it ought to be focusing on in a scene with multiple "interesting" objects. I use the manual selection mode and move the square around the screen with the 4-way arrow keys. I have never had a problem with missing focus. Sometimes it takes a while for focus to be achieved as the camera hunts back and forth. Hunting occurs if I have the wrong point selected or if the contrast in a scene is low.

The only time I have seen the screen go black when rotating it is when I wear polarized sunglasses.

11-29-2015, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

The exif shows that both blurry photos have the exposure mode set to "Creative" while the in focus shots are "Program"....if that is of any help (exif is the inbuilt data that tells you what settings the camera is using).
Be aware of the little knob on the front of the Q that turns on various exposure modes...it is easy to accidentally turn.
I will have a look at my Q and see what this "Creative" mode is all about and get back to you.
Cheers.
11-29-2015, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #6

Dear ratfancy: consider having the largest memory card you can get and take 'bursts' of photos instead of one photo of each subject if lighting allows it. One (or more) should come out at the right focus. This is a commercial photographer's secret.
11-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
You all are so amazingly helpful! Thank you so much. My husband also purchased a Q at the same time, but hasn't used his. I will try his and see if the result is different. And I will review all your suggestions. I notice the viewfinder accessory is $150 - more than we paid for my camera. I wish I had polarizing sunglasses - especially at the beach! I have a Nikon D200 which I really love, but it's heavy to carry around all day. It doesn't have a screen, just a viewfinder, and that works for me. The pictures are always good. The Q does take good pictures as well, and I will keep going with it, thanks to your considerations and encouragement.
11-30-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding the issue with the screen going dark when you turn your camera... OK, so it's not polarizing sunglasses, then. Do you, by any chance, have a screen protector fitted? If so, it's possible it is polarized...

11-30-2015, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Hi Ratfancy, have had a quick look at my Q and am puzzled as to how that "Creative" mode appears, I can not replicate it. I would very carefully check all your settings, verify what is turned on or off, and understand what each does. The knobs on top of the camera are also easily turned, so pay particular attention to where exposure setting one (top right) is set to as well.
I suspect the answer lies in the settings.
In the menu, custom settings, last item is "reset custom functions", this puts everything back to default.....perhaps run that to get back to scratch if all else fails.
Cheers.
12-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
There is definitely something wrong with your camera/lens. Which lens are you using? I suspect that you might have a bad connection somewhere- try another lens if you can borrow one. It may be in the camera as well, in the connections to the computer chip.
Guess what! My husband bought the same Q used on Ebay - and his works perfectly, as I tested today just to compare. So you were right - something not right with my Q. This is the strange thing: His camera has the model and serial number on the bottom; mine has nothing. No depression for the labels and no model or serial number. I bet they were manufactured different years. Anyway, now all is in focus.