Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

K200 Upgrade !

happy holidays everyone!!

I have a K200d and would like to upgrade to a newer model, I am keen on the K7!,,,is this camera better than the 200 is.....I can afford the 7 and can get for christmas if its a good camera,,,,,,,,,,,

PLEASE advise,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7 is better from a handling perspective and also an moderate upgrade image-quality wise, but the K-5 is much better. If the latter is within your price range it would be well worth it (it shouldn't be very expensive second-hand these days).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A lot of the K-7 is good. The build quality is excellent, magnesium alloy. I like the size, close to the K200D. The rear screen is really good, I think three times the dots as the K200D. It has the top LCD, available grip, weather seals. The battery improves on AAs. It has a pentaprism for a bright viewfinder. The metering is better with 77 segments. Autofocus is better but doesn't compare to latest AF systems. The K-7 has live view which is often useful for unusual conditions. It has some other useful features on the top-tier cameras and added customization.

The big problem is the sensor. It adds 4 megapixels over the K200D and some improvement at higher ISOs. But those higher ISOs don't compare at all to the next sensor, the Sony 16 Mp. That sensor starts to outperform the K-7's Samsung sensor, not only in noise reduction but in dynamic range. My upper limit on the K-7 is 1600. Beyond that I can get a photo but not a good photo. With a K-5, the noise is better, but the dynamic range is a lot better. I think photos look fine up to 6400, and 12800 looks like 1600 on the K-7. That means I can use modes like TAv where the camera can choose an ISO. The K-7 doesn't have the same ISO flexibility. Improving high ISOs means your lenses are more useful, you can take photos in more places and at more times.

The K-7 sells for a good price. There's one in the marketplace for $180. I have taken about 25,000 shots with mine and still use it. I think it's a very good camera with a lot of useful features. I would seriously consider how much extra it would cost to get the Sony sensor, maybe in a K-30 and give up some K-7 features.
11-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
@zevandstanley, I see from your profile that you already have a K-3ii and K-5iiS, as well as K20D and K200D. What are you intending to use the replacement for the K200D for? What's the budget?

11-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
@zevandstanley, I see from your profile that you already have a K-3ii and K-5iiS, as well as K20D and K200D. What are you intending to use the replacement for the K200D for? What's the budget?
I am sorry about my PROFILE regarding the cameras, I thought it was a servey of what cameras I used and not OWN. I own the K200d, but the k5iis and others are not mine. i will probably save for the k5,,,,,,,,,,,I sincerily apologize for misleading anyone here,,,,,,,,you are all the best and have a lot of experience to help a lot of people
who dont know enough of this great hobby.

happy shutters!
11-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zevandstanley Quote
I am sorry about my PROFILE regarding the cameras, I thought it was a servey of what cameras I used and not OWN. I own the K200d, but the k5iis and others are not mine. i will probably save for the k5,,,,,,,,,,,I sincerily apologize for misleading anyone here,,,,,,,,you are all the best and have a lot of experience to help a lot of people
who dont know enough of this great hobby.

happy shutters!
If you live in socal, check if you could get the K-S1 from Samy's. If not, try to find an inexpensive K-30 or K-50 from ebay. You could have either of them below $200.
12-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zevandstanley Quote
i will probably save for the k5,,,,,,,,,,,I sincerily apologize for misleading anyone here,,,,,,,,you are all the best and have a lot of experience to help a lot of people who dont know enough of this great hobby.
Don't apologize. Just trying to get an idea of what you are looking for.

See this recent discussion of various superceded models: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/308342-how-old-t...ra-bodies.html

As usual there are various opinions, but everyone seems to agree that (in the absence of particular needs, such as for TTL flash) a K-5 would be better than anything that came before it. As between the K-5 and newer models (such as the K-30, K-50, K-S1, etc) there is less consensus: it comes down to particular features, construction, size and handling, price, new or used, etc.

A secondhand K-30 or K-50 is quite affordable, and an excellent camera, but be aware of the issue with the aperture control that strikes a number of these cameras. If a new K-50 isn't much more, it would be worth it for the warranty.
12-01-2015, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I have a couple of shots to show where the K-7 is excellent and where I needed a K-5. The Denver Botanic Gardens had some Chihuly glass sculptures on display last year. The display opened, all the hours were daylight and I brought the K-7. This shot is with plenty of light so I could use ISO 100, f8, 1/90 with a Sigma 50mm macro lens.

Later in the year, they lit some of the glass sculptures and opened the gardens in the evening. I had just gotten a K-5 IIs and didn't exactly know how far to push it. Some of the displays were in darker areas. I took this with an FA35mm f2 at f2.4 (so basically the same as a DA 35mm f2.4 wide open), ISO 3200, 1/15 sec. I wasn't sure it would look good.

I ended up printing both of these at 24" x 36" and they both look great at that size. The night shot needed only a little noise reduction - in Lightroom 4, 20 on the Luminance slider, 10 on Color. Because the dynamic range of the K-7 would fall off so much at ISO 3200, the night shot would have looked much worse in the shadows. I could maybe have used f2, 1/8 and ISO 1600 for a little more dynamic range but risked shake.