Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
I posted reply to a relevant thread on K50 forum, but I thought I use this one as well.

I purchased my K50 in May 2014, so I am past warranty. Some 2 weeks ago I shot few pictures and all heavily underexposed, almost black. I started playing with exposure compensation and then all of sudden everything worked. Trying to shoot today, same problem, all dark, after dozen exposures or so, all good again. Turned off and on, still working fine. Let it sit for a while, turned on and the same problem again, all shots black. I am dreading the cost of repair and time without camera for Christmas...

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/276378-k50-sensor-pr...#ixzz3t1Zk1Xtm
Aperture motor needs replacing...same thing happened to mine just before the warranty expired (thank goodness). It sucks, but that's what it is. Hope Ricoh / Pentax improves the quality of the replacement aperture motors, if not, mine should fail again in a few months.

12-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter

You have to remember, digital equipment is a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of digital. Lock ups, overheating, hardware failures, software bugs and crashes. You name it. It can happen to the glorified computer that you're using to take pictures. In addition to all the electronics and software, you compound that by having mechanical pieces that may also fail. Quality control is critical in any manufacturing process, but a certain percentage will fail. Hopefully, for the customer's sake, prior to the warranty expiration.
12-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You have to remember, digital equipment is a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of digital. Lock ups, overheating, hardware failures, software bugs and crashes. You name it. It can happen to the glorified computer that you're using to take pictures. In addition to all the electronics and software, you compound that by having mechanical pieces that may also fail. Quality control is critical in any manufacturing process, but a certain percentage will fail. Hopefully, for the customer's sake, prior to the warranty expiration.
I agree with most of what you said except I believe mechanical pieces tend to last way longer than electronics & software. My old K-1000 & Me-super are still going strong after 34 years...NEVER a breakdown / problem....and CERTAINLY not after only one year of use :/
12-08-2015, 06:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I wasn't implying that mechanical components have an equal chance at breakage. However, it's another point of potential failure. Another point of potential poor quality control. Another point where poor design can affect the longevity of an otherwise robust product.

A certain couple of model year Explorers have a different design for some way of attaching the radiator. That design is a stress point that allows the radiator to flex enough to pop seams. Many vehicles from the affected years go through a new radiator about every 2-3 years. It's a known problem. Ford redesigned it after a couple years, but those model years didn't receive a mass recall & retrofit.

12-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
except I believe mechanical pieces tend to last way longer than electronics & software.
Dunno, Bertminator.

The shutter in your camera may be rated to 100,000 clicks ... it's likely to fail before the sensor, for example.
12-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lucky me, Pentax Canada fixed my K-50 under 2 year Canadian warranty, 4 months before expiry. The service record says "replaced diaphragm control block unit". Not sure what exactly it is, but sounds to me as an electronics issue (control unit ?) and not a mechanical problem, but who knows...
12-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #22

Hi
This whole issue is holding me back from what I thought would be a great camera.
I too am in Canada.
What was your shutter count when it failed?
Shawn

12-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MGBMAN Quote
Hi
This whole issue is holding me back from what I thought would be a great camera.
I too am in Canada.
Shawn
I wouldn't worry about it.
I've had my camera for over a year now and over 5000 clicks with no problem.
If you get extended warranty - even less worry.
Alternatively, the K-3 is a great camera...
12-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my K-50 is just over a year old and has 20k+ actuations; I recently upgraded to a K-3, so the K-50 is being neglected for the time being...

buy a K-50 with an extended warranty (prices are cheap enough, buy two of them...) and start shooting...
12-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MGBMAN Quote
Hi
I too am in Canada.
Shawn
My shutter count was rather low, about 650 actuations. I have as well a good point and shoot Canon S100 that I take with me more often (especially on bike trips) than the K-50. So I would say that the diaphragm control problem was rather due to "inactivity" than too many actuations. My first DSLR the K100D had a similar problem fixed within warranty, my second DSLR the KX was problem free for 4 years before I sold it.
The K-50 is definitely the best of all three and I love it for any serious shooting. Here in Canada they come with 2 year warranty (which I did not even know), so you have a pretty good chance that if something goes wrong, you are still covered. BTW, I had the camera back from repair in 2 weeks.
Not sure if you have already any Pentax lenses, but if you go for the K-50, buy it with a higher end lens, do not go with the usual 17-55 + 70-200 mm low end kits, you will want something better pretty quick. I opted for the kit with the 18-135 Pentax lens and I saved close to $250 CAD compared to buying body and lens separately. BTW, the 18-135 is a fantastic universal lens, I rarely use anything else.
12-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #26

My shutter count was rather low, about 650 actuations. I have as well a good point and shoot Canon S100 that I take with me more often (especially on bike trips) than the K-50. So I would say that the diaphragm control problem was rather due to "inactivity" than too many actuations. My first DSLR the K100D had a similar problem fixed within warranty, my second DSLR the KX was problem free for 4 years before I sold it.
The K-50 is definitely the best of all three and I love it for any serious shooting. Here in Canada they come with 2 year warranty (which I did not even know), so you have a pretty good chance that if something goes wrong, you are still covered. BTW, I had the camera back from repair in 2 weeks.
Not sure if you have already any Pentax lenses, but if you go for the K-50, buy it with a higher end lens, do not go with the usual 17-55 + 70-200 mm low end kits, you will want something better pretty quick. I opted for the kit with the 18-135 Pentax lens and I saved close to $250 CAD compared to buying body and lens separately. BTW, the 18-135 is a fantastic universal lens, I rarely use anything else.

Ok
I may rethink this,
Thanks for the input folks
Shawn
12-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
if you go for the K-50, buy it with a higher end lens, do not go with the usual 17-55 + 70-200 mm low end kits, you will want something better pretty quick. I opted for the kit with the 18-135 Pentax lens and I saved close to $250 CAD compared to buying body and lens separately. BTW, the 18-135 is a fantastic universal lens, I rarely use anything else.
Good tip.

And if 135mm isn't long enough, pair it with a 55-300. If you get the WR version (selling in the US for $250 recently) you have an outstanding, relatively light-weight, two-lens WR kit covering 18-300.

You can add specialty lenses later, according to where you find your preferences lie (ultra-wide, or compact or very fast primes, or portrait lenses, or wildlife lenses, or macro, or whatever).