Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

K50 camera problem

I posted reply to a relevant thread on K50 forum, but I thought I use this one as well.

I purchased my K50 in May 2014, so I am past warranty. Some 2 weeks ago I shot few pictures and all heavily underexposed, almost black. I started playing with exposure compensation and then all of sudden everything worked. Trying to shoot today, same problem, all dark, after dozen exposures or so, all good again. Turned off and on, still working fine. Let it sit for a while, turned on and the same problem again, all shots black. I am dreading the cost of repair and time without camera for Christmas...

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/276378-k50-sensor-pr...#ixzz3t1Zk1Xtm

11-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, Luma, your aperture motor may have bitten the dust. :-(
11-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Do you have any manual glass to test it on? Or lenses with an aperture ring? Then you can shoot in manual, and if things are fine, well that pretty much nails it. I had the aperture assembly croak on my old K-50 a month before the warranty expired, so I got lucky. Not sure how much that repair is, but I know you can pick up K-50's really cheap. so might be a better option for you if that's indeed what's wrong.
11-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to RESET your camera and see!!

12-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I also purchased my K-50 in the same time period (April 2014) and it started showing the same symptoms a couple months ago. I tried everything i could think of including resetting the camera. I love the camera and hate it tucked away in my big gadget bag. I still try it every couple weeks hoping it will have fixed itself somehow. :|

I contacted Pentax via their online support and they emailed me the instructions to send the camera to Precision Camera (Pentax authorized service). Looks like the minimum out of warranty charge for the K-50 at Precision Camera is $166.50 plus to/from shipping which is around $15. I didn't want to pay too much to have it repaired since the K-50 body is now selling for under $300.

Last year I picked up the K-5iis bundle at this time of year for an unbeatable deal. I used the K-50 as a backup or to have a secondary setup at the events I shoot. I'm waiting for a holiday "deal" on camera body or kit. If nothing hits my price range then I'll consider sending the K-50 in and hope the cost doesn't exceed cost of a new K-50. Either way I'll try to re-post and let you know what happened.

If anyone else has thoughts or experiences with repair costs to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rtmarwitz; 12-01-2015 at 06:39 AM.
12-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

I don't know if this is your problem but...
I purchased a used K-30 that had the same problem. I could not get past the closed aperture in viewfinder mode, but in live view the aperture would open and exposures were fine. I sent it back. Apparently this is a common problem with K-30s and K-50s. I don't know if the problem begins intermittently as the camera had the problem when I got it and I didn't keep it long enough to find out if it worked sometimes.
You might try switching to live view when the camera is acting up, this might confirm your problem is the same. I don't know if this means the aperture motor is failing, I thought I recalled reading that it was some electronic module that needed replacing, but I could be wrong.
12-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, after bad news about the camera, I have a good news about the (future) repair. My credit card that I purchased the camera with carries an Extended Warranty Insurance, which in my case means till May 2016. I have already contacted Pentax Canada and made a repair claim with card provider.

Yes, I have manual Pentax lenses, but I will not even bother with testing, I will leave it with Pentax.

HOWEVER on different topic - after K100d, K-X and now K-50 I have been seriously considering another brand, but the fact that I have a bunch of AF and MF Pentax lenses hold me back. Now I see on Amazon this:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008OQ0L2O?keywords=Pentax%20k&qid=144899208...r_1_15&sr=8-15
Will this simple adapter truly match Pentax lenses to Canon body with full functionality? If not, is there actually on the market something that will?

Last edited by luma; 12-01-2015 at 11:13 AM.
12-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
Will this simple adapter truly match Pentax lenses to Canon with full functionality?
NO!

It won't keep aperture control, AF, or anything!

12-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brokeh? Quote
You might try switching to live view when the camera is acting up, this might confirm your problem is the same.
For me live view gives the same results -- grossly underexposed. It seems to have a more difficult time focusing in live view than through the viewfinder -- given the same subject and lighting.

QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
I have been seriously considering another brand
I learned on Pentax years ago, so I admit I'm probably biased. Someone else on the forum put it best "my Pentax just has soul". I couldn't say it better. I used more than a handful of different Pentax cameras from film and digital era and compared to some that isn't many. I have to say though each of them always just seem to fit and become an extension of my hand. On the flipside I used a Canon for an evening and it just didn't fit and navigating the settings was very cumbersome. I've never touched a Nikon, so not sure what they are like. Just think about it before jumping into another system. For sure find a place you can actually hold one and try it out.
12-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
KDD
Veteran Member

Don't buy used camera. Prefer NEW BRAND CAMERA!
12-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I disagree with that. My K-50 was new, and I got in just under the warranty expiring for my aperture assembly fail. I bought my MX-1 used, and never had an issue. Just unluck of the draw sometimes.
12-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Switching brands will not make things any better. All camera manufacturers have issues. Cannons fail, Nikkons fail, they all have issues. I was on a photo shoot this summer with my local camera club and one memeet had has expensive full frame Cannon lock up like a brick. Nothing would wake it up. Luckily he had a second body to use. When purchasing a Pentax camera new I always get the extended two year warranty. My K3 has locked up a few times and only removing the batteries would fix it. Unfortunately I will have to send it to Precision soon to have it looked at.
12-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

What I meant by find a place to hold it and try it out was to find a retailer. Plenty of C and N retailers out there that will let you handle the equipment or even rent. I'm weary of used dslr equipment too, but that is just me.

Another thing to add is neither N or C are failsafe either. I'm sure their percentage of failure is close to if not the same.

[Edit] I've also learned my lesson on getting the 2 year warranty on future purchases.

Last edited by rtmarwitz; 12-01-2015 at 06:32 PM.
12-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I grew up with Pentaxes as well, at least four film cameras that I bought new and three digital SLR, all new as well. The film Pentaxes plus few more that I bought used are sitting behind the glass in my camera collection, I got somehow sentimental about them... Honestly, I never had a problem with the film cameras, but I had a problem with the K100d and now the K-50, I guess too much technology...

But the good news just keeps coming, I found the original box for the K-50 and in it a Canadian warranty card valid for 2 years! So if I add my credit card extended warranty, I am covered till May 2017, yahoo !!!
12-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Nice! Get that puppy off to Precision!