Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Screen Clean - how ?

I have just taken dellivery of my very first DSLR, a Pentax K20 - yes, quite old, but expensive enough for my limited pension income. Alas the screen is a bit scuffed - anyone got suggestions of home polishing to remove marks; they are not deep scratches. I have a number of polishing agents incl. jeweller's rouge.

Dan.

12-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Screen Clean

Check out the suggestions at this link on the subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/113221...us-screen.html
12-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think he means the LCD has scuffs in it, not the focus screen.
12-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Buff it with a paper towel. I managed to clear out scratches from an LCD monitor this way.
This wont help for the focus screen however which is an internal part of the camera body.

12-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should have said I mean the screen at back of camera - yes it is the LCD screen needs cleaning and polishing out the light-ish scuffs it has acquired over the years,
12-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is my understanding that the rear LCD cover is made of clear polycarbonate. The polish used for automobile headlight covers might be a good option, though I would test on a corner first. Jeweler's rouge might also work, though with the same caution. As always, YMMV and I accept no blame for melted, dissolved, or hazed covers!

Edit: I did a bit of research and found that the headlight kits consists of fine-grit wet/dry sandpaper and polishing compound similar to that used for auto finishes. That being the case, polishing compound followed by jeweler's rouge or rouge by itself, might well be the ticket.

If you find a good solution, you might want to write up a DIY article detailing how it is was done. Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2015 at 11:41 AM.
12-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Jeweler's rouge might also work, though with the same caution.
As a former jeweler I wouldn't recommend using jewelers Rouge on polycarbonite, it is a highly refined abrasive and will likely make the scuffs even worse and the stuff is just messy as hell. When my camera screens need cleaning I use simple medical grade alcohol swabs, clear alcohol based hand sanitizer* on a lint free microfiber cloth works just as well. If the scuffs are deep I'd say leave it, unless you have access to a micromotor with flex shaft handpiece, and a high grade buffing wheel, l would just leave the screen alone.

* un-flavoured vodka or everclear will also do the trick.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.
12-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is my understanding that the rear LCD cover is made of clear polycarbonate. The polish used for automobile headlight covers might be a good option, though I would test on a corner first. Jeweler's rouge might also work, though with the same caution. As always, YMMV and I accept no blame for melted, dissolved, or hazed covers!

Edit: I did a bit of research and found that the headlight kits consists of fine-grit wet/dry sandpaper and polishing compound similar to that used for auto finishes. That being the case, polishing compound followed by jeweler's rouge or rouge by itself, might well be the ticket.

If you find a good solution, you might want to write up a DIY article detailing how it is was done. Good luck.

Steve
I have my time with car detailing hobby and i wouldnt recomend the grits compound way, diferent grits are used to "level" the scuffs and scratchs against the surface (do more damage) then the compound polish the new leveled surface to look like new again, but this cant be made by hand you need, at least 4 differents paper grits (and need to be on a support if you use your fingers the spots where you fingers do more pressure never gonna level the plastic amd you gonna have a bad time), 2 diferents compound and 2 polish sponge accordingly to the compounds and a polisher machine, the procces must be a wetsanding, and is very messy, possible fatal to electronis on the camera, that beside to much polishing can burn the plastic, not enough polishing and the plastic will remain hazy due sanding procces. Just no... live with the scratches, it just doenst worth the risk

Last edited by virusn3t; 12-05-2015 at 12:41 AM.
12-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As a former jeweler I wouldn't recommend using jewelers Rouge on polycarbonite, it is a highly refined abrasive and will likely make the scuffs even worse and the stuff is just messy as hell.
Thanks for the perspective. My experience with the stuff has been limited to use on metals.

Steve
12-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
possible fatal to electronis on the camera, that beside to much polishing can burn the plastic
Thanks for your input. Water intrusion is a big risk as is the risk of burning the surface. My dad rebuilds cars as a hobby and I remember well his first experience with pink polishing compound on the buffer. He had a great mirror finish going until he lingered just a little too long...

Steve
12-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I haven't yet but this thread reminded me to try cd-dvd cleaner (scratch out @ walmarts)
12-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter

It can be done and wet sanding would be the best way to do it but, I would not recommend wet sanding.

If they are not really bad, I wouldn't worry about them.

If you feel like the scratches do need to be removed, you can try using these

Soft Touch Sanding and Polishing Pad Set (Set of 6)

These are sanding pads used in polishing small items like model cars and airplanes. The grits range from 2,400 to 12,000.

A word of caution, you do this at your own risk. Like what some of the other members and myself have said, if the scratches are not bad, I wouldn't worry about them.
12-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments - in view of the risk of making things worse instead of better I think I will leave the screen as it is.

Dan