Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Given that you are just starting out. You might consider buying used from the Marketplace here on the forums.
You can still buy a new K50 or perhaps a used K5/K5ii as the camera.
You should look for a used or new 17-50 f/2.8 lens (Tamron or Sigma). Or possibly a 17-70 Sigma which is a variable maximum aperture lens (f/2.8 at the wide end f/4 at the long end)
You should look here or on ebay for some simple manual flashes that you can set for reduced power that are known to work safely with Pentax DSLR's. I'm sorry I don't have a good list but there are threads on this. Using the flash manually will be more complicated at first but it gives more control and will be cheaper to get started with than the P-TTL compatible automatic flashes.
Wedding photography is very specific - if you have not had a DSLR before did you do it before with Film? If not you may need to see if you can find a few jobs as an assistant to learn the ropes.
Thanks,I've been an assistant all these while though my Boss happens to be a Canon dslr addict.

12-04-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

I think the K-50 for $249 at Samy's, which had been reported to include both the kit lens & the AF-200FG flash, is your best camera body value. Add the $100 DA50 or see if you can pick up a new in box from the marketplace here or eBay for less. For low light, the Sigma or Tamron 17-50 2.8. Used will be your best value.
12-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I have to take exception to the idea you can outfit yourself for $750 if you are going to market yourself professionally, especially for weddings.

I have done 3 weddings (and won't do anymore), and there are several on here who still do it for a living, and I doubt any of them (me included) would walk into a shoot with ONLY $750 in gear.

There was the mention of redundancy, which is imperative. There is the need for low light capability and IQ. There is the need for AF accuracy and speed.

Based on the many Pentax bodies I have gone though (K10/K20/K30/K5iis/K3), there is really only the K3 that is suitable for that environment. Its AF is leaps and bounds better than the K5 series. Yes, you CAN get away with a K5/K5iis, but your are tempting fate because the AF WILL let you down. I shoot wildlife, sports and other fast moving subjects in difficult conditions and I almost switched systems because of the AF issues on previous Pentax bodies.

I wouldn't do a shoot without a 50-135 (or 50-150 from sigma) and/or a 70-200 lens in the bag because, unless you feel like elbowing your way through a gaggle of cell phone shooters, and/or depending on the venue, you are going to need the reach.

A good flash well set you back 150-200 alone. The two above mentioned lenses are almost your entire $750 budget.

I guess what you want to do can be done, but to be brutally honest, if I were interviewing you for MY wedding and that was your gear list, I'd pass. No, you don't need a Mk(insert roman numerals here), or a D810, and no, a fancy camera doesn't make you any better a photog, BUT weddings are brutal to shoot. I'd never approach one without a complete kit plus back-up body because, yes you WILL need it one day. (It's also nice not to have to change lenses, just switch bodies.) You are leaving yourself open to non ideal results with such a minimalistic budget. And it's going to be those first few clients that will be the springboard for a successful career, don't short change yourself.

P.S.
Just a quick google search yielded several results, but here are a couple that list pretty standard and minimum gear:

What Gear Do You Really Need for Wedding Photography? | Light Stalking

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/10/essential-photography-equipment/

I think everyone mentions a backup body and around 3-4 lenses

Last edited by nomadkng; 12-04-2015 at 11:32 AM.
12-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading some of the links above I realized that Renting is an option.
I would rent whatever you think you want to buy and try it first if at all possible in some type of backup role where you can see how the equipment works and then decide if it will be adequate. If not, save up more. Rental will also work for the backup systems you need or any gaps that you cannot afford for the first go round.

12-04-2015, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I applaud your enthusiasm, but I have to take exception to the idea you can outfit yourself for $750 if you are going to market yourself professionally, especially for weddings.

I have done 3 weddings (and won't do anymore), and there are several on here who still do it for a living, and I doubt any of them (me included) would walk into a shoot with ONLY $750 in gear.

There was the mention of redundancy, which is imperative. There is the need for low light capability and IQ. There is the need for AF accuracy and speed.

Based on the many Pentax bodies I have gone though (K10/K20/K30/K5iis/K3), there is really only the K3 that is suitable for that environment. Its AF is leaps and bounds better than the K5 series. Yes, you CAN get away with a K5/K5iis, but your are tempting fate because the AF WILL let you down. I shoot wildlife, sports and other fast moving subjects in difficult conditions and I almost switched systems because of the AF issues on previous Pentax bodies.

I wouldn't do a shoot without a 50-135 (or 50-150 from sigma) and/or a 70-200 lens in the bag because, unless you feel like elbowing your way through a gaggle of cell phone shooters, and/or depending on the venue, you are going to need the reach.

A good flash well set you back 150-200 alone. The two above mentioned lenses are almost your entire $750 budget.

I guess what you want to do can be done, but to be brutally honest, if I were interviewing you for MY wedding and that was your gear list, I'd pass. No, you don't need a Mk(insert roman numerals here), or a D810, and no, a fancy camera doesn't make you any better a photog, BUT weddings are brutal to shoot. I'd never approach one without a complete kit plus back-up body because, yes you WILL need it one day. (It's also nice not to have to change lenses, just switch bodies.) You are leaving yourself open to non ideal results with such a minimalistic budget. And it's going to be those first few clients that will be the springboard for a successful career, don't short change yourself.

P.S.
Just a quick google search yielded several results, but here are a couple that list pretty standard and minimum gear:

Essential Equipment for Wedding Photography: 11 Things You'll Need

Before you entertain the idea of wedding photography, entertain the consequences of failure. Your first wedding should be totally informal. Turn up with your camera, take some images, , follow the pros around for a while, see what they do. If they don't mind shoot over their shoulders after they set up a shot. Check out their gear and if possible their photos,.

For a first time, I'd get something like a book of wedding poses and copy some of the poses exactly. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel.

You simply cannot be too prepared for your first attempt at a wedding. Every aspect of portrait photography comes into play as well as having previously successfully survived a couple of photography disasters.

Last edited by normhead; 12-04-2015 at 05:57 PM.
12-04-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Temitope-One Quote
Hi friends,I just signed up on PF even though have been digesting loads of awesome articles&threads for months.I was set on starting out in Fashion/Wedding photography with a Nikon D3300 bundle before I came across this site and fell in love with the Pentax line.
Now,I need the help of my new family here.I have just $750 to build a camera bundle and I wont spend another on gear for some time so I want suggestions(DSLR Camera+Lenses+Accessories) that are future-proof for a beginner like me.I have looked at the K-30,K-50,K-S2 and K-3 but I cant seem to make a decision.I am also going for a NEW camera body.
Thanks.
Below are the internet addresses to 1. The K-50 with the 18-55mm WR for $360.99 and 2. The Pentax AF360FGZ for $199. That would give you a start. You had mentioned the K-50 and with those two accessories you have a basic setup. That way you would have brand new warrantied equipment, and still have a little left over from your $750.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B00DBPKAAG/r...ds=pentax+k-50

Pentax AF360FGZ Flash 30333 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-04-2015 at 01:09 PM.
12-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

P.S.

Essential Equipment for Wedding Photography: 11 Things You'll Need

thanks a lot Mr Nomad,I became utterly speechless and quite dejected after reading your post but everything you said is true and brutally honest.I guess I'll have to seriously reconsider my budget at this point.thanks once again.I am very grateful.

12-04-2015, 05:54 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I decided to go "pro", I had to think and act like a pro. The equipment was going to be my livelihood, so it went from hobby budget to a long term investment. One wedding can easily pay for a camera or a fast prime or zoom and I know the more I invest in my camera equipment, the more I push to get that equipment to not only pay for itself, but to make a sustainable profit.

Considering the cost of an average automobile these days, cameras and computers are cheap. And when I didn't have enough cash, I got a loan and repaid at a monthly rate that typically represented less than one day's work as a freelance photographer. Don't forget the tax benefits of business expenses and if you have to cut corners, don't do it with the tools that will sustain you.
12-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Equipment is equipment. If you have resources and attain worthy equipment it is a step ahead in itself. Experience is experience. You attain it as part of development.
12-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Temitope-One Quote
Hi friends,I just signed up on PF even though have been digesting loads of awesome articles&threads for months.I was set on starting out in Fashion/Wedding photography with a Nikon D3300 bundle before I came across this site and fell in love with the Pentax line.
Now,I need the help of my new family here.I have just $750 to build a camera bundle and I wont spend another on gear for some time so I want suggestions(DSLR Camera+Lenses+Accessories) that are future-proof for a beginner like me.I have looked at the K-30,K-50,K-S2 and K-3 but I cant seem to make a decision.I am also going for a NEW camera body.
Thanks.
Understanding budget, will be tough on 750.00. but can be done. Lots of good sellers on this site, just looked 17-50 2.8 Tamron 200.00 plus.
I really can not speak on wedding or portrait photography, But have done both, but only once (family).

I rented a second body and used 70-200 2.8 and 28-75 2.8
Metz 52F-1

Lots of batteries, but turned out well. With help from this site!

It will all come into place...

Good Luck