Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Helios 44m-2 won't focus to infinity.

A while back I bought a Helios 44m-2 58mm f2 on ebay. Upon using this lens I found that I was unable to focus to infinity. The focus ring would turn all the way to the infinity marking the lens isn't even close to the point of infinity. Is this an issue with this lens or something can can be fixed?

12-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It is an issue of the lens, I have a similar one works fine.
12-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scuddle Quote
A while back I bought a Helios 44m-2 58mm f2 on ebay. Upon using this lens I found that I was unable to focus to infinity. The focus ring would turn all the way to the infinity marking the lens isn't even close to the point of infinity. Is this an issue with this lens or something can can be fixed?
What type of adapter are you using?
There is a non infinity adapter and one that goes to infinity.
The non infinity has a flange between the lens and the body and a slot to locate the mounting pin on the body.
The infinity has no flange and a little spring loaded tab on its hub. Also has a tool to take it off the body.
12-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I check my lens, it is Zenith Helios with Pentax bayonet, it fits well.

12-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These lenses do not have adjustable infinity and instead use a series of thin washers between the front and back halves of the lens in order to set infinity focus. If you bought it from one of hte eastern european sellers, they frequently pull apart the lens to do a very quick and messy relube and often don't put the correct washer back in. In your case, it seems like they put one in that is too thick.

If you screw the two halves of the lens apart, you shold be able to remove the washer that is in there, which will probably allow it to focus past infinity, so that's the quickest work around. If you want to get the lens dead on, you will want to sand the washer down a little bit at a time, re-attach the lens, and test, repeating the procedure until it is completely correct. The other, issue, though, is this will affect the orientation of the lens on the mount when you mount it. This can be adjusted at the rear of the lens byt loosening a tiny set screw on the mount and turning it until it is at the correct position when mounted, then re-tightening it. The trick here is that on some samples of this lens, you can get to the set screw without disassembling the rear, while on others, you have to remove the focus ring to get enough access.
12-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
These lenses do not have adjustable infinity and instead use a series of thin washers between the front and back halves of the lens in order to set infinity focus. If you bought it from one of hte eastern european sellers, they frequently pull apart the lens to do a very quick and messy relube and often don't put the correct washer back in. In your case, it seems like they put one in that is too thick.

If you screw the two halves of the lens apart, you shold be able to remove the washer that is in there, which will probably allow it to focus past infinity, so that's the quickest work around. If you want to get the lens dead on, you will want to sand the washer down a little bit at a time, re-attach the lens, and test, repeating the procedure until it is completely correct. The other, issue, though, is this will affect the orientation of the lens on the mount when you mount it. This can be adjusted at the rear of the lens byt loosening a tiny set screw on the mount and turning it until it is at the correct position when mounted, then re-tightening it. The trick here is that on some samples of this lens, you can get to the set screw without disassembling the rear, while on others, you have to remove the focus ring to get enough access.
I looked up some videos to guide me through disassembling the lens and while I was able to successfully screw off the back element I was unable to unscrew the two maim halves of the lens. I have tried for a while now with no luck.