Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My beautiful Da* 55 lost infinity Focus

A while ago, I was at a shoot and someone bumped my lens off a table and it hit the ground, thankfully with a bunch of coats on it, but in that even I lost infinity focus. Wondering how to get it back to normal. Is there a way to take the lens apart and reset the focus? I'm sure it's just a small mechanical adjustment inside.

What I'm experiencing:
-auto focus and manual focus goes from 3 inches to 20 ft. but can't focus any further.
-auto focus motor works just fine
-inside that 3-20 foot range the focus is spot on

Any advice?

If I can't fix it, I've googled it and found a repair shop in Portland Oregon that seems reputable. Also, I've sent my k5 (when it was under warranty) to the Pentax official repair shop and wouldn't mind sending it to them to fix. Being a college student, I'm so broke, it's no joke, so a quick fix is what I'm looking for!

12-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
PRS

55/1.4

This once happened to me with a DA 70mm f2.4 - although not sure if it was an impact or something else. Something has most likely slipped out of place. The solution is quite easy if this is true, but it's a bit fiddly. I fixed mine by unscrewing the ring on the front of the lens so exposing the locking screws that set infinity focus (you do this with a flat rubber cork that needs to be the same size as the ring). Then loosen the screws, move the focus ring from infinity toward a closer focus point by a few milimetres, tighten one screw only. Check you can not manual focus to infinity (and beyond it by some way). Then auto focus on an object at infinity. Do not move the barrel and loosen the screw until the barrel is loose. Set the focus point on the barrel to match the mark which indicates infinity on the lens and tighten one screw. Check the infinity focus, ensuring there is a small gap between infinity and where the lens locks at its most distant focus point (so there is some extra throw beyond infinity to avoid damaging the focus motor). Then tighten all the screws and reassemble.

Hope this helps.
12-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

You can find pictures about the adjustment process for the DA21 - the decription above for the DA70 sounds similar, but pictures help.
Not sure that you can apply the same technique to the SDM55 - adjustment of the DA21 in a shop was not overly expensive. I would send the lens in for repair.
12-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Not sure that you can apply the same technique to the SDM55
That would be my concern. If it were my lens, I would get a diagnosis and estimate of the price to fix before diving in and trying to fix it on my own.

Steve

12-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe that Eric Hendrickson can repair infinity focus on DA* lenses.
12-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PRS Quote
This once happened to me with a DA 70mm f2.4 - although not sure if it was an impact or something else. Something has most likely slipped out of place. The solution is quite easy if this is true, but it's a bit fiddly. I fixed mine by unscrewing the ring on the front of the lens so exposing the locking screws that set infinity focus (you do this with a flat rubber cork that needs to be the same size as the ring). Then loosen the screws, move the focus ring from infinity toward a closer focus point by a few milimetres, tighten one screw only. Check you can not manual focus to infinity (and beyond it by some way). Then auto focus on an object at infinity. Do not move the barrel and loosen the screw until the barrel is loose. Set the focus point on the barrel to match the mark which indicates infinity on the lens and tighten one screw. Check the infinity focus, ensuring there is a small gap between infinity and where the lens locks at its most distant focus point (so there is some extra throw beyond infinity to avoid damaging the focus motor). Then tighten all the screws and reassemble.

Hope this helps.
Okay. I am SO GLAD you saw this! Sounds like I can do this with the 55 too. I'll let you know how it goes and if I have any questions. Thanks so much for the response.

---------- Post added 12-08-15 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be my concern. If it were my lens, I would get a diagnosis and estimate of the price to fix before diving in and trying to fix it on my own.

Steve
Both good ideas. Yeah. I'll weigh cost vs chances

---------- Post added 12-08-15 at 03:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I believe that Eric Hendrickson can repair infinity focus on DA* lenses.
Who's that?!?!
12-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Who's that?!?!
Home
12-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Who's that?!?!
Home
Eric is a sort of a legend with the film photographers on this site as a resource for vintage Pentax repair. In addition to servicing the vintage bodies and lenses, Eric will also service some current-product Pentax AF lenses. You will need to contact him to see if he can help you with your lens. His Web site:

Eric Hendrickson: Pentaxs Repair (pentaxs.com)

Steve

12-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I've sent him an email

---------- Post added 12-08-15 at 06:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Eric is a sort of a legend with the film photographers on this site as a resource for vintage Pentax repair. In addition to servicing the vintage bodies and lenses, Eric will also service some current-product Pentax AF lenses. You will need to contact him to see if he can help you with your lens. His Web site:

Eric Hendrickson: Pentaxs Repair (pentaxs.com)

Steve
Rock on, thank you! Emailed