Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2015, 03:29 AM   #1

Sunpak Auto 2000 DZ and ist DL2

I have ist DL2 camera and i have been given a Sunpak Auto 2000 DZ flash.

Will a Sunpak Auto 2000 DZ flash work with a ist DL2 camera?

I think it is compatible but thought I would ask the question rather than wreck the cameras electronics.

Ken

12-08-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look it up here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
12-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Looking at the listing it gives the following

Auto 2000 DZ Yes 3V, measured by Ken Kane
So is it safe to use on the Pentax?
I am a beginner "No question is silly if you do not know the answer."
Ken
12-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobody wants to get blamed for frying someone else's camera. That being said, I use Pentax's own AF200Sa flash, whose trigger voltage lies in the "Your call" zone (7.72 volts), comfortably on my K-5, but I went out and had mine measured and it came in well within spec.

This link describes the method for measuring your flash's trigger voltage. If I had any doubts at all, I would have it measured. Print out the method page and take it with you to an electronics repair store or to an electrician with the right kind of voltmeter; they should be able to follow what's going on and do the job appropriately.

12-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't agree that the trigger voltage measured by a dc meter is a reliable indication of whether an old flash is suitable for a newer camera.
I was using Pentax AF160 which has a steady state trigger voltage of 3.75 Volt DC , on my Olympus camera, and the camera hotshoe trigger failed.

The AF160 is from about 1979 . In those days I think the designers had to limit the dc voltage from the ealier ones that could cause electric shocks. However the flashes were still fired by metallic contacts in the cameras so there was no need to limit the surges in the camera contacts. In fact some transient energy was desirable to keep the contacts in good condition.

Here are some oscilloscope traces of the old Pentax AF160 being triggered by two cases.

The first case was a trigger with a 3 Ohm resistor. ( scope has a 1:1 probe)
The peak voltage rose to 18 Volt at 800 nanosecond. That is 6 amp peak, and the di/dt was about 7.5 Amp per microsecond, to a peak current at 800 nanosecond.

The second case was a trigger with a 47 Ohm resistor. ( scope has a 10:1 probe)
The peak voltage rose to 150 Volt at about 1000 nanosecond. That is 3.2 amp peak, and the di/dt was about 3.2 Amp per microsecond.

A typical semiconductor rated such transient conditions might be say an IRG4BC15UD-S and note that it is in a TO263 pack. I am not sure, but I doubt we are going to find such large semiconductors in our consumer cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by wombat2go; 12-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.
12-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have found a copy of the instruction manual online.
The flash has a switch to set it to a particular make of camera one of which is Pentax.
It lists it as suitable for the the following Pentax models MV, MG, ME-Super. ME-F, LX Super Program. Program Plus.
Ken