Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
Closed Account

Removing front lens section on SMC Pentax 67 1:4 200mm

I have some haze on I am guessing the rear of the front lens section on a SMC Pentax 67 1:4 200mm (i.e. the lens closest to the diaphragm). Removal of the front section is not obvious. I could puzzle this out, but perhaps someone can tell me how to get this section off.

Thank you

12-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there is a thread here on pf that's dedicated to repairs, i've seen it but i don't know what the link is.
12-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the response OSV. Unfortunately that thread does not seem to cover the 67 lenses.
12-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how far have you gotten on it? is the beauty ring off of the front? maybe post up a pic.

i just yesterday tore apart a $70 canon fd 28/2, including splitting the front lens group, in order to clean out some haze.

i already had jic screwdrivers and some other lens tools.

the lens elements on both the bottom of the front group, and the top of the lower group, needed cleanup as well... i was able to unscrew the front group with the lens tool(spiked ends), then reach down through the open aperture to clean the top of the lower group.

the whole thing was very nerve wracking, to say the least...

12-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the other telephotos of this era unscrew in the middle - K135/2.5 and all the Tak 135/2.5s, K300/4, M200/4. Hold the lens by the focus ring and try to unscrew everything in front of that. In my experience, these threads are tight but not impossible, so you should be able to loosen them with say jar-opening force, not strap-wrench force. Another possibility is screws hidden under the rubber focus grip.
12-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thank you both for the replies.

OSV: I have not opened the lens as yet. I have done a fair amount of camera and lens work in the past, but not on Pentax lenses.

Just1MoreDave: Yes I saw that on some other lenses the front simply unscrews, but no such luck for this one. I had hoped to avoid peeling up the focus ring as in the past I have had issues with rubber splitting or deforming so I am reluctant to peel it up.

These days I have little time for camera work due to family commitments, so I had hoped someone could give some steps to get into the lens and save me time. It looks like I will have to find the way myself. Hopefully in less than a month!
05-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #7

Cleaning Pentax SMC 200mm

Hello,

I am having trouble to access to the front element of this lens, have you found a way to open it?

Best

05-17-2021, 03:51 AM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
At the time I was offered another lens at a crazy low price, so given my lack of time I took that path. I had forgotten about this lens until this reminder. I will try to look at it in the next while and comment here if I get a chance to open it.
05-18-2021, 05:12 AM   #9

Hello, thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I too found it was too much hassle to get to the front elements.
Happy shooting
05-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
I found the way in. The assembly is very typical. It is necessary to remove the front inner cone, the one that is like a lens shade on the inside of the front tube. This is the tricky part. It jams very easily. I found a large rubber stopper can slowly turn it and it does unscrew. Using other methods I typically use on such a large opening causes it to jam and not move. I tired quite a few methods, they all jam. The large rubber stopper is the one that worked.
05-20-2021, 03:58 AM   #11

Superb! That's a fantastic news. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the update