Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I saw no auctions, just buy-it-now. As I noted in a previous comment, that surprised me, though only a little.

I mentioned price and rarity data merely because those were both cited as reasons why munging an M/K-series lens is not big deal. What is not as well appreciated, particularly in regards to the M/K-series fast 50s (M 50/2 excluded) is that they were among the best quality (build and optical) lenses available at the time at their respective maximum apertures. Those qualities continue to be true to this day. With the possible exception of modern lenses selling for many thousands of dollars, the vintage Pentax product holds its own quite nicely. Given that, I don't know of too many people who would grind the rear off a 70s-era Summicron 50/2 just to fit it to a particular modern body and I don't see why anyone would do the equivalent to a M 50/1.7 whose performance is only a small notch below the Leitz product.

In my mind, a neutered K-mount lens has parts value only at resale. Just, my opinion...

Steve
I just looked there are about 90 m 50 1.7 lenses on eBay ranging in price from like 20 to stupid prices. I think the availability is there though so idk what you're seeing. All I typed in was Pentax m 50 1.7 and like 97 results came up w only like a handful not being a Pentax m 1.7 skimming through. Considering the age of the lens of say that's a considerable amount to be available at any time.

12-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What metering with M and K lenses comes down to at the end of the day is EXACTLY the same process by which the pre-ES, pre-F Spotmatics handle Super-Takumar and SMC-Takumar lenses. All that changes is where the metering button is, and the fact that it's automated. We have come full circle.
12-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It reminds me m42 cameras. Hold lever to stop down and real the metering-needle in finder

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 02:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What metering with M and K lenses comes down to at the end of the day is EXACTLY the same process by which the pre-ES, pre-F Spotmatics handle Super-Takumar and SMC-Takumar lenses. All that changes is where the metering button is, and the fact that it's automated. We have come full circle.
It isn't automatic. When I half press the the shutter nothing happens. I need to press green button
- I would like half press to stop down option
12-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #34
Pentaxian

It's automatic inasmuch as the shutter speed is set for us rather than having to dial it in ourselves, and the fact that unlike the Spotmatic, where we have to flick the meter switch off to open up the aperture, the DSLRs stop down, meter, set shutter speed and reopen by themselves. You're not alone in wanting a green button half press, but this has all been hashed out before.

12-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
All I typed in was Pentax m 50 1.7
I typed Pentax 50 1.7 (search in lens section only).

Steve
12-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
its interesting; many people prefer A series for aperture control or m42 for lack of lever. yet i always get pushback when i suggest modifying an M series to operate in the same manner as an m42. the new china 85mm K lenses don't even have levers.
You get push back because you advocate permanently altering a lens* rather than simply and easily removing the lever assembly. Once cut the lever can never be restored; it can be replaced with a donor, but what,s the point?

Though you claim the supply is ample, it is not infinite.

* I own a cut K35/2 that I used M42 style until I found another in original condition. I can't give away the eunuch - even to Canon users.
12-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What metering with M and K lenses comes down to at the end of the day is EXACTLY the same process by which the pre-ES, pre-F Spotmatics handle Super-Takumar and SMC-Takumar lenses.
Yes, essentially the same. What I find strange about this discussion is that nobody seems to have tried using the DOF preview in M mode to set exposure from an EV scale*. It has a few advantages to the green button and is sort of a slick feature, equivalent to using a M42 lens on a K-mount camera having a full-information viewfinder.

Steve

* Optical viewfinder level indicator must be set off

12-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What I find strange about this discussion is that nobody seems to have tried using the DOF preview in M mode to set exposure from an EV scale*.
Pray do tell more. How is this trick done? (And how do I turn off the OVF level?)

Never mind; got it. It's very handy indeed, especially if you want to do some EV compensation on the fly, although the green button is just a bit faster if you need that shot RIGHT NOW.

Furthermore the level being on or off is irrelevant. When I have the electronic level on and I stop down, the digital EV readout is constantly changing. And while it's not perhaps the same as "match the sliding bar" (like the needle in a K1000 only horizontal), it does give you a readout from which you might adjust. It's also a very good spot meter in those circumstances!!

Last edited by pathdoc; 12-15-2015 at 05:07 AM.