Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Need some Pointers on lenses for the Pentax K-r

Hi All

Thanks to a forum member we now have a Pentax K-r with the SMC Pentax DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL lens.

I would like to explore and decide on another lens to add for this camera. Landscapes seem to be my calling right now.

And am waffling between "Prime/WR/Super WR/Zoom" preferably Pentax or Sigma.although would consider other brands as price is a factor (Especially considering the exchange rate for the CAN$) to someone who is retired.

Suggestions & Ideas are truly welcome and even pointers to these lenses for sale on the forum.

Looking forward to see where I go from here.

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 01:43 PM ----------

OOOPPPSSS!!! we also have a SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm.

Which has not been used yet as I seem to be treading in the 18-55mm domain right now.

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 01:50 PM ----------

OOOPPPSSS!!! Again NOW have just found out that WR = Weather Resistant NOT Wider zoom like 8-15 etc

Cheers for years
Colin

12-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Hi All

Thanks to a forum member we now have a Pentax K-r with the SMC Pentax DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL lens.

I would like to explore and decide on another lens to add for this camera. Landscapes seem to be my calling right now.

And am waffling between "Prime/WR/Super WR/Zoom" preferably Pentax or Sigma.although would consider other brands as price is a factor (Especially considering the exchange rate for the CAN$) to someone who is retired.

Suggestions & Ideas are truly welcome and even pointers to these lenses for sale on the forum.

Looking forward to see where I go from here.

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 01:43 PM ----------

OOOPPPSSS!!! we also have a SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm.

Which has not been used yet as I seem to be treading in the 18-55mm domain right now.

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 01:50 PM ----------

OOOPPPSSS!!! Again NOW have just found out that WR = Weather Resistant NOT Wider zoom like 8-15 etc

Cheers for years
Colin
If you like landscapes and want a wider lens, I'd suggest the SMC DA 15mm f/4 -- superior flare resistance, beautiful highlight stars when stopped down and great contrast/color. The corners can get a bit soft but its never bothered me.
12-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Colin - can I ask, are you looking for something *better* than your 18-55, or something that will complement it? 18-55mm is a pretty good range for landscape work, and the apertures at which this lens shines are those you'd most likely use for landscape work - ie. f/8 plus. Do you find yourself wanting a wider or narrower field of view than the 18-55 offers? Or do you want the same or bigger range, or a specific focal length, and better image quality at certain apertures?

In order to decide what range of focal lengths you need - or the closest focal length that is most relevant to your shooting - it's a good idea to review all of the photos you've taken with the 18-55 to see what focal length they were taken at (you may know already that you can get this information from the EXIF data in the image). Once you've profiled your use of the 18-55 to see what focal length(s) you most commonly use, it may help you to decide what prime to buy, if that's the route you want to go down.

My current favourite lens for landscapes is my recently acquired Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 - it covers the range I need most, I have some zoom flexibility, and it is sharp edge-to-edge for the most part. However, there are times when I switch to my DA70 if I want more intimate landscape. Plus, it's not WR, and this might be important to you. I did try two copies of the Pentax DA16-85 WR and I loved the lens, but both copies had quality control issues.
12-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you enoeske & BigMackCam

Appreciate the replies and it was/IS the direction I was/am heading in. Will check this out.

Most of my images are at the 18mm variety. Even had a Sigma 18-70mm (I think!!!) with K10D that I gave to a new home.

And have perused some of the 17-??? or 16-?? lenses where prices seem to be way out of my league. While noticing that Sigma lens Colors did produce an image that excited me too.

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 02:42 PM ----------

Yep NOW I am even more "CONFUSED" --->>>
  • If you want foreground - then you go wide.
  • If you want to minimize distortion - then you go prime, no lower than about 24mm, and possibly stitch.
  • If you want to shoot over the foreground and emphasize the distant - then you want a longer lens (28, 35, 50 or 85mm) and possibly stitch.
Wide angle lenses - Here are my landscape lenses
  • 10-17 Fisheye - Great lens, runs from about 180 degrees to 100 degrees wide. Pulls in foreground, background and lots of sky.
  • 12-24 - Another great lens, runs from 100 degrees wide to 60 degrees wide. Resolution peaks at around 18mm.
  • 16-45 - Very good lens, runs 80 degrees to about 35 degrees wide.
  • FA 31 Ltd - Wonderful lens - extremely sharp
  • CZ 28/2.8 - Wonderful lens - extremely sharp - 1/3 the price of the 31, but all manual
  • A 50/1.7 - Great lens, VERY Cheap (the M 50/2 is even cheaper).
  • CZ 85/2.8 - Great lens, extremely sharp

12-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you enoeske & BigMackCam

Appreciate the replies and it was/IS the direction I was/am heading in. Will check this out.

Most of my images are at the 18mm variety. Even had a Sigma 18-70mm (I think!!!) with K10D that I gave to a new home.

And have perused some of the 17-??? or 16-?? lenses where prices seem to be way out of my league. While noticing that Sigma lens Colors did produce an image that excited me too.

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 02:42 PM ----------

Yep NOW I am even more "CONFUSED" --->>>
  • If you want foreground - then you go wide.
  • If you want to minimize distortion - then you go prime, no lower than about 24mm, and possibly stitch.
  • If you want to shoot over the foreground and emphasize the distant - then you want a longer lens (28, 35, 50 or 85mm) and possibly stitch.
Wide angle lenses - Here are my landscape lenses
  • 10-17 Fisheye - Great lens, runs from about 180 degrees to 100 degrees wide. Pulls in foreground, background and lots of sky.
  • 12-24 - Another great lens, runs from 100 degrees wide to 60 degrees wide. Resolution peaks at around 18mm.
  • 16-45 - Very good lens, runs 80 degrees to about 35 degrees wide.
  • FA 31 Ltd - Wonderful lens - extremely sharp
  • CZ 28/2.8 - Wonderful lens - extremely sharp - 1/3 the price of the 31, but all manual
  • A 50/1.7 - Great lens, VERY Cheap (the M 50/2 is even cheaper).
  • CZ 85/2.8 - Great lens, extremely sharp
The 12-24 and the 16-45 are both fantastic lenses. You probably don't want a fisheye. The 31mm is a fantastic lens but on a crop body, its pretty much a 50mm equivalent on FF which is a bit long for landscape.

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is another option. Optically, its a big step up from the kit lens, but the focal range isn't very different. If you want a new FoV, then the 16-45 and 17-50 might not be for you.

I'd still push you to check out the 15mm (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html) -- its my favorite lens.
12-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you Again--->>>

WILL look at that but NOW I have a "BIGGER" Problem after trying an AMBICO Video V-3100 Telephoto 1.5xLens - HILARIOUSLY I can NOT unscrew it from my 18-55mm

WE seem to be on some sort of "Unpredictable" journey right now hehehe

Cheers for years
Colin
12-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The 12-24 and the 16-45 are both fantastic lenses. You probably don't want a fisheye. The 31mm is a fantastic lens but on a crop body, its pretty much a 50mm equivalent on FF which is a bit long for landscape.

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is another option. Optically, its a big step up from the kit lens, but the focal range isn't very different. If you want a new FoV, then the 16-45 and 17-50 might not be for you.

I'd still push you to check out the 15mm (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html) -- its my favorite lens.
^^^ What Eric says makes good sense to me. I can't speak personally about the 12-24 and 16-45 other than to say that they're well regarded. The Sigma he mentions is the one I own, and it's excellent, but very similar in focal length range to what you have (albeit it performs better at a wider range of apertures, which isn't that great a benefit in landscape photography). The DA15 Limited is superb, no doubt, and I own one. Personally, I find it a bit *too* wide for landscape (unless I'm concentrating on close-to-middle-distance and want wide coverage), but maybe this is because I haven't used it enough! If I'm going with a prime for landscape, I find the DA21 about right at the wider end. Not many people will direct you to the DA21 for landscape, as it's not as sharp edge-to-edge when you compare it to something like the DA15 - but I find the focal length better, and frankly it is plenty sharp

12-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang Rokinon 14mm f/2.8?
12-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you Both

The surprise calamity of Lens removal and Like that DA 21 & DA 15 although Price wise may be still a little out of my league

SO will explore those now on Ebay first

Cheers for years
Colin

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 03:30 PM ----------

Yep just as I though the DA 15 & Da 21 are WAY out of my League "Financially" on Ebay

BooHoo

Cheers for Years
Colin
12-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep just as I though the DA 15 & Da 21 are WAY out of my League "Financially" on Ebay
We've all been there Could I push you to say what your budget is? We already know that you like 18mm or thereabouts, so you're looking for something quite wide angle, and landscape is your thing right now... With an idea of budget, we might be able to root out some options? Not saying for sure that *I* can, but someone here will for sure (and I'll try!)
12-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you Imp & BicMackCam

That Rokinon 14mm Looks Interesting--->>> Just have to check out Prices and --->>>

And BigMackCam --->>>

Budget needs to be Lower than CAN$200.00. --->>> because of the CAN$ exchange rate.

And I REALIZE that is a problem with Speciality lenses

May just have to go with 14- 15- 16- or 17- other Zoom lernses
Cheers for Years
Colin
12-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Imp & BicMackCam

That Rokinon 14mm Looks Interesting--->>> Just have to check out Prices and --->>>

And BigMackCam --->>>

Budget needs to be Lower than CAN$200.00. --->>> because of the CAN$ exchange rate.

And I REALIZE that is a problem with Speciality lenses

May just have to go with 14- 15- 16- or 17- other Zoom lernses
Cheers for Years
Colin
Colin, your budget is what it is. There is almost always a solution Let me sleep on it... I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions too
12-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

On ebay, you can get a Pentax 16-45/4 for just under $230 and a Tamron 17-50/2.8 just under $230
12-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you Mike & bertwert

YOU both keep my JOURNEY Alive hehehe--->>>

16-45 & 17-50mm Here we come Ebay for now

Cheers for years
Colin
12-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another couple questions:
Do you want prime or zoom?
Fisheye or no?
Are older manual focus and M42 lenses acceptable?