Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #31
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suppose the question now is, (outside of Does the top image look sharp for f/2.8 with this lens?) Why is this particular lens erratic in focusing when using contrast detection AF in liveview when the other lenses are not erratic?

12-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No one?
12-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No one?
My suggestion was to compare the lens files. My guess is that they would show differences. BUT I don't know how CDAF could be worse and less reliable than PDAF. I'm at a loss.
12-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My suggestion was to compare the lens files. My guess is that they would show differences. BUT I don't know how CDAF could be worse and less reliable than PDAF. I'm at a loss.
I suppose by seeing the lack of responses after posting more info, others are too ?

don't really want to play with debug menu atm .. really hoping Precision can do something further.. I mean what is the next step? Replacing element groups?

It behaves in the same manner on 2 different Pentax bodies so (unless both bodies have the same problem) it seems more like there is an issue still with the lens..

12-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
BUT I don't know how CDAF could be worse and less reliable than PDAF. I'm at a loss.
My thoughts as well. There is something strange about these photos. The top one has somewhat better sharpness despite the plane of focus not being apparent, but the image overall does not reflect the expected quality for this class of lens. For the bottom image, the focus point is on the chair at lower right and again the image quality is sub-par even within the plane of focus.

Exif would be helpful (straight from camera JPEG) as would an attempt at manual focus. What is the history of this lens before it was sent to Precision?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2015 at 09:33 PM.
12-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My thoughts as well. There is something strange about these photos. The top one has somewhat better sharpness despite the plane of focus not being apparent, but the image overall does not reflect the expected quality for this class of lens. For the bottom image, the focus point is on the chair at lower right and again the image quality is sub-par even within the plane of focus.
Both are aimed at the brick pylon in the center of the photograph using single focus point straight on.

From the tests, it appears the lens just occasionally goes beserk in CDAF mode and doesn't know what is in focus. In this situation, it seems to have happened to focus closer up and the chair is within it's plane of focus.
12-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Both are aimed at the brick pylon in the center of the photograph using single focus point straight on.

From the tests, it appears the lens just occasionally goes beserk in CDAF mode and doesn't know what is in focus. In this situation, it seems to have happened to focus closer up and the chair is within it's plane of focus.
Neither photo is representative of what I would expect of the DA* 16-50/2.8. The best areas of both look as if there is a vaseline-coated filter or something similar in the optical path. That aside, CDAF searches for the contrast peak at the intended focus point. If the target is low contrast or lacks detail, focus should rack (lock-to-lock) at least once before giving up and should not lock unless contrast has peaked above a preset threshold.

If the CDAF system attains focus and the subsequent image is out of focus (e.g. bottom example), I can only think of two possibilities:
  • CDAF processing in the body is faulty
  • Shift of optical focus AFTER focus has been attained
The position of the distance scale on the focus ring is one way to differentiate the two. If the distance scale is consistent with the actual distance, the CDAF is working properly, at least for gross focus. BTW...be sure your focus target is unambiguous (flat and parallel to the sensor) and sufficiently large to extend well beyond the boundaries of the camera's focus zone. It also helps to use moderate distance. A subject at 95 feet with a 50mm lens is essentially the same as infinity (FWIW, DOF is 181' at 90' and f/2.8 on APS-C. Near focus = 55.6'). A distance less than 30 feet might be more appropriate.

If the CDAF system is not at fault (focus attained, but intended subject is OOF), there are multiple possibilities:
  1. Inadvertent movement of quick shift ring
  2. Internal mechanical failure resulting in a shift in the focus mechanism
  3. Damage to the optical system that allows elements to shift position independent of the focus mechanism
  4. Movement of the focus motor outside the CDAF control loop
  5. Something else...
Of the above, only #1 has much likelihood and typically would not be repeatable. #2 and #3 are possible if the lens has been physically damaged (dropped) and/or there has been a botched service attempt. #4 is highly unlikely, though not impossible.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.
12-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #38
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neither photo is representative of what I would expect of the DA* 16-50/2.8. The best areas of both look as if there is a vaseline-coated filter or something similar in the optical path. That aside, CDAF searches for the contrast peak at the intended focus point. If the target is low contrast or lacks detail, focus should rack (lock-to-lock) at least once before giving up and should not lock unless contrast has peaked above a preset threshold.

If the CDAF system attains focus and the subsequent image is out of focus (e.g. bottom example), I can only think of two possibilities:
  • CDAF processing in the body is faulty
Two different camera bodies? Possible but highly unlikely.

• Shift of optical focus AFTER focus has been attained

Not sure what this means.

The position of the distance scale on the focus ring is one way to differentiate the two. If the distance scale is consistent with the actual distance, the CDAF is working properly, at least for gross focus. BTW...be sure your focus target is unambiguous (flat and parallel to the sensor) and sufficiently large to extend well beyond the boundaries of the camera's focus zone. It also helps to use moderate distance. A subject at 95 feet with a 50mm lens is essentially the same as infinity (FWIW, DOF is 181' at 90' and f/2.8 on APS-C. Near focus = 55.6'). A distance less than 30 feet might be more appropriate.
I'm not sure you've kept up with the saga but the issue is present at infinity.. hence why I'm shooting so far away. I'm deliberately choosing a distance where the lens has issues.

If the CDAF system is not at fault (focus attained, but intended subject is OOF), there are multiple possibilities:
  1. Inadvertent movement of quick shift ring
  1. Nope.
  2. Internal mechanical failure resulting in a shift in the focus mechanism
Possible.
  • Damage to the optical system that allows elements to shift position independent of the focus mechanism
  • Possible.
  • Movement of the focus motor outside the CDAF control loop
  • Possible but unlikely. It seems to 'lock' and its done - the distance scale doesn't move (I was watching it the entire time) when it both properly focuses and misfocuses.
  • Something else...
  • Gremlins?
    Of the above, only #1 has much likelihood and typically would not be repeatable. #2 and #3 are possible if the lens has been physically damaged (dropped) and/or there has been a botched service attempt. #4 is highly unlikely, though not impossible.

Yet 1 is the least likely. Because, like I've said over and over and over now, the other lenses I tested in the same location, with the same tripod placement, at the same focal length (and with the 50-135mm the same aperture) did not do this. The K-r did not do this in Liveview initially, like it misbehaved on the K-5II, until I set LiveView to Contrast detection.

Interesting thoughts though. Thank you for sharing and I will be interested in knowing what it is eventually... but none of those possibles are fixable by me.

I just got off of work and I see Precision finally contacted me (by phone?) to get a shipping label to send it back.

---------- Post added 12-15-15 at 05:36 PM ----------

Oh and thank you, Steve, for confirming that doesn't look right -- even the 'in focus' one for that lens at f/2.8 -- mucho appreciated.
    12-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #39
    Otis Memorial Pentaxian

until I set LiveView to Contrast detection.
    CDAF is the only AF system for live view on Pentax cameras.

As for your "saga"...I have followed your experiences with this lens, including your original post regarding problems with softness at infinity.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/306846-16-5...-infinity.html

I also recall your original example photos that you removed from that thread. According to that thread, you disassembled the lens in an unsuccessful attempt to service the focus system and were in discussion with Precision regarding possible repair (4 Nov 15). A couple of weeks later you sent the lens to Precision and repair was delayed for several reasons including a wait for parts. You got the repaired lens back on 9 Dec (replaced motor and controller for $214...good deal) and discovered on receipt that the SDM now squeaks and results were softer than your DAL 18-55 kit lens with the same camera and subject (not such a good deal). This thread was started that same day.

At this point, it appears your intended remedy (posted on another thread) is another repair attempt with Precision under the terms of their warranty. Good luck

Steve
    12-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #40
    Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Gremlins?
    Sounds good to me. Something may be slipping out of place after focus locks or the focus motor is receiving spurious commands after focus lock. Both of which would be a lens problem.

Steve
    12-17-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #41
    Site Supporter
    Site Supporter

12-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #42
    mee
    Veteran Member

Original Poster
    CDAF is the only AF system for live view on Pentax cameras.
    Is this true? On my K-5 II [page 147 of the manual] and the K-r , I see Smile Detection ( form of Contrast AF), Contrast AF, and Phase Difference AF in the Live View settings.

As for your "saga"...I have followed your experiences with this lens, including your original post regarding problems with softness at infinity.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/306846-16-5...-infinity.html

I also recall your original example photos that you removed from that thread. According to that thread, you disassembled the lens in an unsuccessful attempt to service the focus system and were in discussion with Precision regarding possible repair (4 Nov 15). A couple of weeks later you sent the lens to Precision and repair was delayed for several reasons including a wait for parts. You got the repaired lens back on 9 Dec (replaced motor and controller for $214...good deal) and discovered on receipt that the SDM now squeaks and results were softer than your DAL 18-55 kit lens with the same camera and subject (not such a good deal). This thread was started that same day.

At this point, it appears your intended remedy (posted on another thread) is another repair attempt with Precision under the terms of their warranty. Good luck
    That is it in a nutshell.

I will say when it came back initially it is a bit sharper than it was so they did something to the focusing system but no where to where it should be. In any case, Precision sent me a shipping label and their lead Pentax tech will be looking at the lens on round 2. It is in UPS' hands now on it's way to Precision and I'm hopeful for a desired outcome this time!
    12-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #43
    Otis Memorial Pentaxian

and Phase Difference AF in the Live View settings.
    Is this true? On my K-5 II [page 147 of the manual] and the K-r , I see Smile Detection ( form of Contrast AF), Contrast AF, and Phase Difference AF in the Live View settings.
    Well, that is interesting I learn something new every day. From what I can tell, this option exists for the the K-7, K-x, K-5/K-5II, and K-r, but not for the K-30/K-50 or any current model Pentax dSLR.

For the benefit of those not having the manual, the text for the Phase Difference AF option for the K-5II reads as follows:

"Cancels Live View and performs autofocus with the AF sensor.
    If the shutter release button is pressed halfway during Live View, the Live View image will disappear and the autofocus system operates. Once Focused, the Live View image will be displayed again."

In short, live view switches off, the mirror flips down and focus is done using the PDAF sensor with return to live view to finish the cycle.

"Fascinating..."

Steve
    12-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #44
    Loyal Site Supporter
    Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that is interesting I learn something new every day. From what I can tell, this option exists for the the K-7, K-x, K-5/K-5II, and K-r, but not for the K-30/K-50 or any current model Pentax dSLR.

For the benefit of those not having the manual, the text for the Phase Difference AF option for the K-5II reads as follows:

"Cancels Live View and performs autofocus with the AF sensor.
    If the shutter release button is pressed halfway during Live View, the Live View image will disappear and the autofocus system operates. Once Focused, the Live View image will be displayed again."

In short, live view switches off, the mirror flips down and focus is done using the PDAF sensor with return to live view to finish the cycle.

"Fascinating..."

Steve
    Wild. Since the pdaf normal way of using the lens optical viewfinder and all seems fine.