Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Softer in LiveView?

Have you ever heard of an instance where a particular (and single not all with that camera body) lens that is much softer in LiveView than through the OVF ?

12-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is quite interesting then.
12-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New one for me too. Oddball subject? Low contrast?

12-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried it in two different scenes -- one out door, one indoor. Though yes both were fairly low light.

I will try again tomorrow in daylight.. it has me perplexed.
12-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Using a tripod and timer for both instances??
Otherwise hand held LV shooting is subject to more shake because the camera isn't held against a third surface, your head
12-10-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Have you ever heard of an instance where a particular (and single not all with that camera body) lens that is much softer in LiveView than through the OVF ?
Yes, that can happens due to focus throw, mechanical play/resolution of the focus gear (for instance the step size of the screw drive from the in body camera motor) and the difference between CDAF and PDAF algorithm for achieving focus. The difference in sharpness is more noticeable with the K-3 because of the extra resolution of the OAA free sensor. The high the spacial resolution of the camera, the more AF resolution is required. A longer lens focus throw of the DA35 macro Ltd outresolves the shorter focus throw of the DA40 Ltd or DA40 XS.

12-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm talking out of focus soft. This is LV focused on the tree directly in front and center, sitting on the back of my car, with a 2 second timer.
Attached Images

12-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

With identical settings, images should be exactly the same regardless of whether live view is turned on, assuming, of course that there is no camera motion for either shot.

Steve
12-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With identical settings, images should be exactly the same regardless of whether live view is turned on, assuming, of course that there is no camera motion for either shot.
... sitting on the back of my car, with a 2 second timer.
yes but there was none
12-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

yes but there was none
...and where was the comparison shot using the optical viewfinder? BTW...this crop looks familiar. Has it been posted here before?

Steve
12-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and where was the comparison shot using the optical viewfinder? BTW...this crop looks familiar. Has it been posted here before?
I have no comparison shot through the VF. I didn't think I needed one. I mean if you can't see it is largely out of focus I'm afraid you're not going to be of much help here.

And, no, I took this photo about 2 hours ago.

---------- Post added 12-10-15 at 06:29 PM ----------

btw, if you're not following the Precision thread in the other camera forum, this lens just got out of repair with Precision.
12-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every once in a great while my K-01 indicates it has acquired focus even when it obviously has not. If I press the shutter button I'll have similar (or worse) non-sharpness as in your image.

But this happens in dim light, not outside.
12-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It isn't a one time event.. this is just a representation of how LV works with this lens currently... it zooms in on the LCD (red square on the point it is focusing) and it isnt even sharp there.. it is like it thinks it is in focus but it isn't even close!

through the VF it is noticeably sharper.. still softer than it should be but improved.. through LV it isn't even close!

Looks like Precision has managed to find a new way to break things haha. I was hoping there was an easy fix for this.

Last edited by mee; 12-10-2015 at 05:58 PM.
12-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no comparison shot through the VF. I didn't think I needed one. I mean if you can't see it is largely out of focus I'm afraid you're not going to be of much help here.
Well, the crux of your original statement was that the LV shot was softer than something shot using the OVF. I too was curious to see a comparison. Also, I didn't see you mention it but what lens and is this with AF or MF?