Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 02:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Green Button on the K-50

Hello everyone!

I am new here, and a proud owner of the K-50. This is my first dslr and I am just getting used to the features as well as photography in general.

I kinda understand the green button in a sense that when u pick up the camera and point it at the scene yer looking at it kinda adjusts the values to giving the user optimum quality? I think zero exposure? (tho i don't really understand what that means). Either way, I tend to shoot Manual most of the time, I often hit the green button and see what values it gives and go from there adjusting etc to my liking.

And i was wondering, does this in essence (when pressing the green button in manual mode) do the same thing as kinda showing what Auto mode would give you if you used it? I tend to never use Auto mode, but I'm guessing that's kinda what it (the green button does), the only difference is once pressed you can change values whereas auto u cannot.

Am I right?

If so.. what is the point? Isn't it just quicker to grab the camera and jump to auto mode for those 'must have quick moments'!? Because for me, when I am in manual mode, once i press the green button and adjust from there, it takes me a few attempts before i find new adjustments that perhaps assist me more than what the green button gives (for that particular scene).

Cheers,

Bruce

12-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, in M mode pressing the green button will pretty much set the camera to the same settings as it would in auto mode. As for the point of it; you can't use auto (or P) mode if you have an all-manual lens. Then the green button will be the closest you get to auto mode.

The green button will do different things in different modes and contexts, though, and it might take some time to get used to how it works. You can also to a degree set its behaviour for the different modes in your menus.
12-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #3

You seem to understand how to make use of the Green Button in Manual Mode, and I think you have also recognised the point of it. In Auto you will get the photo that the camera wants to take, but it has no idea how you want your photo to look. So the values for shutter speed and aperture that Green sets in Manual Mode are simply a good starting point, from which you can adjust the values to suite your taste, e.g. to increase the aperture for greater depth of field, or to increase the shutter speed to freeze the motion of the subject (with suitable corresponding adjustments to the other value).

Cheers.
Philip
12-10-2015, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

If you are completely new to photography, I would recommend getting a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It is pretty much the go-to resource around here for novices. If you are unfamiliar with terms such as 'exposure triangle', 'depth of field' or 'f-stop', this book will get you started off in the right direction. And while it is not Pentax specific, it covers almost all things photography specific.

Better, in my opinion, to understand the basics and start from there than kind of blindly 'hunting and pecking' your way around the camera. While it is good to know how to shoot in Manual, there are other modes ( I like TAv myself) which may prove more helpful, depending on the situation.

Good Luck!

12-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green button helps quickly give you an exposure that may work. Imagine your last shot was at 1/4000 f/11 and the next is in a gloomy barn and needs f5.6 at 1/30th at the ISO you want to use. You can spin both control dials or hit green and then adjust it from there.

The same button is used to return to auto ISO in modes that allow that.
12-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes thanks everyone for that, helps me understand things a little more.

So far I have one more newbie question but it's separate issue from the Green Button so I shall create a new post for it.

Once again thanks.