Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question on Sigma USB Dock for new Sigma Contemporary Lenses

Perhaps this has been dealt with before, but I just bought a Sigma Contemporary Zoom lens and should have it in a couple of days. Question: Will I need to purchase the Sigma USB Dock to make any minor AF adjustments to this lens if required, or can I use my K3 to make adjustments and if so, how??? I've been using Sigma lenses over the years and must be a fortunate fellow because none of my lenses have required an AF adjustment. Thanks for any comments on this. Don

12-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my understanding is that you can typically trim the af with a camera, but it would apply to all focal lengths.

the dock lets you make four(?) af trim adjustments, at any combination of focal lengths you choose.

stevebrot has used one, maybe he'll weigh in with some comments.
12-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can read more about the dock here:
Sigma USB Dock Tutorial and Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Like osv said, the dock allows you to make more targeted adjustments. Whether or not it's necessary will depend on your copy of the lens, but if you plan on getting more Sigma lenses in the future, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the dock just in case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got one to go with my 50mm Art and 17-70mm Contemporary lenses, but haven't had to use it. It's still in its box.

12-14-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one of these expensive K mount lens caps.

As mentioned in the posts above, the Sigma lens dock allows for AF adjustments based upon focal length - but you can only adjust AF at fixed points along the distance scale relevant to the lens.

Also another thing to be wary of, the light (on the lens dock) only comes on when the sigma software detects the dock, after you close the software the green light will remain on - it will only blink when data is being written to the lens memory, it is best to attach the lens before plugging in the lens dock. It is also best to only unplug the lens dock after you close down the software - there is no disconnect option in the sigma software or through windows.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-14-2015 at 07:52 PM.
12-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the dock lets you make four(?) af trim adjustments, at any combination of focal lengths you choose.

stevebrot has used one, maybe he'll weigh in with some comments.
Nah...stevebrot only watched the demo video. I would love to have the dock since my 17-70 (C) needs the firmware upgrade, but no money at present...it can wait. I am happy to see that Digitalis weighed in. He has hands-on experience and is very tech oriented.

Steve
12-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As mentioned in the posts above, the Sigma lens dock allows for AF adjustments based upon focal length - but you can only adjust AF at fixed points along the distance scale relevant to the lens.
16 adjustments total

Steve

12-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
16 adjustments total
Don't get too excited, I hate to think of how many adjustments owners of the Sigma 18-300mm DC macro* OS HSM lenses get, which is probably somewhere between too many and not enough.

* this isn't the first time I have seen such optimism from sigma.
12-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Don't get too excited, I hate to think of how many adjustments owners of the Sigma 18-300mm DC macro* OS HSM lenses get.

Let superzoom owners suffer.

Did I say that out loud? {Embarrassed cough}